2015 RDX - Did the advisor mislead me about premium gas? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums

RDX The All-New Acura RDX!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-22-16, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

2015 RDX - Did the advisor mislead me about premium gas?

I bought a 2015 RDX on Sunday from the local Acura dealer. The first question I asked the advisor when considering the car was if that model needed premium gas and he said no, that regular was fine. He said that the previous years' models did require premium but that the newer ones don't need it. However last night I was looking through the manual and it says premium.

I've looked around online about it since then and it seems like most people say that regular gas will affect performance and fuel economy. The performance isn't really an issue for me, I just like the ride and comfort of the car. But the fuel economy definitely is important to me and of course I don't want to damage the engine with regular gas. (Although I did see one post somewhere that said the engine is basically the same as the new Pilot that takes regular.)

If it needs premium I'm not sure I'm going to keep the car, although I do love everything else about it. So I'd greatly appreciate any insight from people knowledgeable about this kind of thing. Obviously I'm not a car person and should have verified that question in advance

Thanks.

Last edited by Emdh; 11-22-16 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-11-16, 10:02 PM

I own a 2013 RDX AWD loaded, and I've used regular gas 80% of the time since I purchase new in May 2013. I now have 51,000 miles, and NEVER had a probblem. Look inside the opening of gas cap area, and you'll see where if states premium gas recommend, and NOT required like past Acuras. This only goes for RDX years 2003 thru present year.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-28-17, 04:30 PM
Just here for the ride

My Mood: Amused
If the manufacturer states Premium fuel, then use premium. if you don't want to go by the manufacturers spec, research the compression ratio of the engine. If it has a high compression ratio, then you must use premium. Otherwise you risk knocking (pre combustion) in the the engine on hot days. Well, unless the vehicles obc can sense the grade of fuel and adjust the performance accordingly.

Pack in the Back of the Ac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury SUV > RDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.