Acura World banner

I've come home! What's your ownership experience?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dtc5 
#1 · (Edited)
3 years ago I sold my TL-S and went to Sweden and picked up a Volvo S60R. Did some mods, ate some Carerras for lunch at the track a couple times and had a blast with the car. Got so many inquiries as you see about 1 S60R for every 10 M3s. Time for a change. In the market for a new car sometime in next 4 months. With the TL-S my only trips to the dealer were for oil changes! With my S60R, nothing major, but lots of trips for little things. (My inaugural introduction to the Euro Car ownership experience. :( All and all I don't regret buying the car. It had more character and was more fun to drive than my TL-S. But boy was that TL-S a good solid car.

So when I see months back Acura is coming out with SH-AWD TL with 300HP I get really excited until I see how the back end looks on it. FUGLY.

But after lots of research and frequenting the Cadillac CTS forum, BMW 335 forum, and even Jaguar XF forum, I seem to not be able to write the new TL off. All those other cars I see shades of my Volvo experience (although the BMW probably the least of the 3.) I'd go for an Infinity G37XS but I want/need rear fold-down seats.

I saw a parked TL at Costco in Hawaii on vacation last week and like some of the reviews say, in person it doesn't look so bad and you might even get used to the weird looks (why oh why couldn't they have just made the back-end look more like the new TSX!?!?!? - they would have sold a lot more of them!)

I know on the Volvo R Forum if you came in at asked, so, how's the reliability so far on your cars for those of you who have a few thousand miles on them already? And you would immediately get a bullet point list of any issues.

The main two things I read about the TL is there is no telescoping steering wheel, the seats are pretty firm, and the suspension is a tad to firm. Well, I lean more towards the sport side of the sport sedan so I imagine I'd have no problem with the firm suspension and seats.

So can some owners with at least a few thousand miles give me a reality check on how they are liking their new TL? It really does seem like the by far the best bang for the buck if I can get past the ugly rear end.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I know probably no one knows this, but what is the consensus on the possibility of a Type-S model later? I hate how Acura always waits several years before coming out with a type S. Considering they are already at 306HP, I'm guessing there may not be one, but it is always a great way of spurring more sales in the later half of the model's run.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is my summary of pros and cons since I acquired the 2009 FWD TL w/ tech back in mid June with about 2000 miles on it. Hope it helps
Pros:
  • The car definitely feels a lot faster than many journalist test of 0-60 in the high 6 second range (AWD with 305hp accelerate same due to added weight)
  • Great sound system w/ just about every connection you can possibly think of (iPod, aux, hard drive to store and rip your CDs automatically, mp3 CD playable, satellite radio, stereo Bluetooth, DVD audio)
  • Very good navigation system with traffic (worth the money if you live in metro area) and weather. Zagat ratings for restaurants are also a plus. The control knob is a little funky to get around the menus, but it works.
  • Voice recognition software works, if you use it
  • Good crash results
  • Comfortable seats, took it on a 4 hour road trip before w/o any issues
  • Low wind noise on highway
  • The car DOES have telescoping wheel, at least on the FWD version. Don’t see why the AWD would not have it.
  • Good visibility view to outside, I’m about 6’2”. Have you ever drove a Dodge Magnum? It like driving wearing swimming goggles.
  • LED break lights and interior map light and dome lights
  • Interior fit and finish is good
Cons:
  • Rear seats don’t fold at all, at least on the FWD w/ tech. would have been a deal breaker for me if my wife didn’t drive a SUV. There is only a very small pass through for skis, etc.
  • Electronic assisted steering does feel artificial compared to hydraulic assisted cars but it make parking maneuvers a lot easier
  • The automatic transmission is only 5-speed. If you hold out for the 2010 model you might get the 6-speed auto version.
  • Loud road noise coming from the tires. My old passat had quieter tires/sound insulation
  • No auto up/down window control for rear windows. Again, even my old Passat had that
  • The number of buttons on the steering wheel and center consol might need some time get used to
  • The gauges and buttons on the consol do not appear to be lit by LED. Probably not a problem, unless you decide to keep the car for long time as the normal lights tend to fade over time
  • The cheap plastic interior door opening handle feels like something they would put in the Honda Civic. Otherwise, the interior is furnished with high quality material.
  • No any kind of lane departure or blind spot warning system.
  • No compass on the rear view mirror. I guess this isn’t needed if you have nav. Not sure the units w/o nav will have this.
In conclusion, I also I cross shopped G37, 3-series, C-class, A4, CTS, Maxima, Passat CC. I decided on the TL because I didn’t want to be a “me too” by getting a 3-series or even a G37 even if mechanically superior, but imo the exterior and interior design seems aged to me, and the past reliability of Audi, MB, VW and GM although improving but still not compelling enough, and a loaded Maxima w/ similar feature cost about the same as TL isn’t justifiable to me.

The TL is neither the fastest car nor the most luxurious car nor the least expensive car out of the above list. But if you can get past its “bold” design, you’re rewarded with high quality entry level sedan with a whole lot of features with a price that is easy to justify.

I’v had zero issues so far and I already answered the telescoping wheel question above. I think the seats and suspension turnings are fine for me. My advice is test drive one and see for yourself. If you think it is too firm, you best consider Lexus, or the Domestic luxury brands, (Caddy, Lincoln). Most Japanese and Germen brands have firmer tunings.

I read somewhere there probably won’t be a type-S version since it is replaced by the AWD version TL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.