Blown door speakers on Tech pkg - Acura Forum : Acura Forums

2nd Gen TSX A forum for the all new Acura TSX!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-04-09, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Blown door speakers on Tech pkg

Has anyone with the 09 TSX with the tech package (premium sound system) had their door speakers blow? I work at an Acura dealership and I've had to replace a number of speakers. It has only been on the tech package equipped ones, and seems that the customers have been maxing out the volume on a regular basis.

Just wondering if this is just a run of bad speakers we've had in our new cars, or if this is more of a nationwide issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-10-09, 07:38 PM
Acura Nut

Nope, mine is fine, but I do not blast my stereo.

2006 MDX - Tech Package - Slate Gray
2009 TSX - Tech Package 6 -speed manual Vulcano Gray
post #3 of 33 Old 02-15-09, 03:43 PM

I am taking my car in tomorrow I guess there is a recall.
It started sounding bad last week I just bought my car a month ago. The Service Advisor at the dealership said they are going to have to replace the door speaker from the front driver side door and the sub-woofer. hopefully nothing else comes up.

post #4 of 33 Old 02-15-09, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannshadycu2 View Post
I am taking my car in tomorrow I guess there is a recall.
It started sounding bad last week I just bought my car a month ago. The Service Advisor at the dealership said they are going to have to replace the door speaker from the front driver side door and the sub-woofer. hopefully nothing else comes up.
Where'd you hear there was a recall? Any specifics? Also when you take your car in see if the speaker they put in is any different than the one they take out. Thanks.
post #5 of 33 Old 02-15-09, 09:49 PM
Acura Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoniner View Post
Where'd you hear there was a recall? Any specifics? Also when you take your car in see if the speaker they put in is any different than the one they take out. Thanks.
Yeah, we would like to know.

2006 MDX - Tech Package - Slate Gray
2009 TSX - Tech Package 6 -speed manual Vulcano Gray
post #6 of 33 Old 02-16-09, 12:12 PM

ok so I just got back from the dealership but I guess I was in the wrong because it is not a recall, but the service advisor said that all 39 of the TSX tech packages they have sold have come back and they have replaced the speakers some just the front doors some just the subwoofer and other both.
They dont know why this happens.
They had to special order the speakers FP-NUMBER 39120-TL0-G01
post #7 of 33 Old 07-20-09, 02:56 PM

well I had to take it in again... I dont blast the stereo but the driver side front door now also sounds blown...
lets see what happens
post #8 of 33 Old 07-20-09, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Well when the very first 09 TSX speakers blew on me, I had to spend quite some time on the phone with TechLine. It turned out that the speakers in the Tech package TSX's were the same exact speakers as are in the base model. The difference between the two comes with the stereo amplifier. The Tech pkg has a slightly more powerful one............but has the same speakers. Hence the speakers are easily blown when the volume is played nearly maxed out.

There isn't a recall, but there is a TSB for this now (I found out I was one of the first to have this concern according to TechLine). If you have what sounds to be a blown speaker, take it in immediately and it will be handled for you no problem.
post #9 of 33 Old 07-21-09, 09:42 AM
Fart Knocker

Sounds like a mistake on Acura's part to me....Most likely they have to much power going to the speakers, a wattage mismatch. So when you turn the volume up to high, the speakers blow. Which should never happen on a factory installed car stereo. Most likely this is happening when a CD is playing, because the CD player puts out more power than the radio or say an Ipod.

post #10 of 33 Old 08-08-09, 01:09 PM

I've had mine since early May, just lost the first door speaker. I won't lie, I like to play my music somewhat loud (iPod), but it's mainly a function of driving with the windows down whenever weather permits, and so I put it up a little louder so I can hear it more. I usually play it around 18-22 with windows up, and around 25-29 with windows down.

When I think about it, I have had some passengers that have decided to take over and put it up in the 30's; but I don't think they've taken it up to the max.

I'm gonna take it in this afternoon, we'll see what happens.
post #11 of 33 Old 08-11-09, 07:40 PM
@SuddleD

I have a 2009 with Tech package, and I had to replace my passenger side speakers already, and now it seems the driver side speakers have blown as well. This kinda sux, since I payed extra for a surround sound system by a grammy award winner, but I get some speakers that I have to keep replacing....
On the plus side the dealership was cool about it and got me my car back the next day and the speakers they replaced seem to work better (for now). I have not even hit the maximum volume, so the amp should be able to handle the power without distortion....
Oh, and I primarily use my iPod for music via USB.
post #12 of 33 Old 10-22-09, 09:00 PM

Paintrush, I cannot locate the TSB online. Can you send the number or post a link? I am having the same problem. I have had the 09 tsx tech for about 5 months and have started noticing the speakers getting worse. I don't blast music, as far as I know. The volume is normally around 10-12. I'm getting concerned that I may have to have them replaced 2x per year if the amp is to blame for blown speakers under normal use.
post #13 of 33 Old 11-20-09, 02:29 PM

so is there a tsb now?????
post #14 of 33 Old 12-01-09, 05:36 PM

TSX 09 w/ tech package

Wow I am glad to hear I am not the only one having this problem. It seems that I am one of the worst cases though. I purchased my TSX in August 08 and since then I have have my two front speaker repaired twice and both rear door speakers once.

I like to listen to my music loud 20-38 and usually from my iPod. Since my first blown speaker I even tried to tone some things down like turning down the Volume output limit on my iPod and turning off the Speed Adjust Volume setting so that the Volume doesn't get boosted when I hit the highways.

I am starting to get a little upset with this because although my dealership has been great about replacing the speakers it is a huge inconvenience to keep making these appointments and I did fork over quite a bit of dough for a car with Premium sound system .

Has anyone heard any info for an actual solution rather then just replacing the speakers for the entire life of my car?
post #15 of 33 Old 12-06-09, 02:56 PM
Moderatus Emeriti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice927 View Post
Wow I am glad to hear I am not the only one having this problem. It seems that I am one of the worst cases though. I purchased my TSX in August 08 and since then I have have my two front speaker repaired twice and both rear door speakers once.

I like to listen to my music loud 20-38 and usually from my iPod. Since my first blown speaker I even tried to tone some things down like turning down the Volume output limit on my iPod and turning off the Speed Adjust Volume setting so that the Volume doesn't get boosted when I hit the highways.

I am starting to get a little upset with this because although my dealership has been great about replacing the speakers it is a huge inconvenience to keep making these appointments and I did fork over quite a bit of dough for a car with Premium sound system .

Has anyone heard any info for an actual solution rather then just replacing the speakers for the entire life of my car?
Two - and you won't like either:

1) Turn down the volume. Acura won't replace those speakers for the life of your car. At some point they will (probably) say "End User Damage - take a hike."

2) Go aftermarket and put some real amps and speakers in your car. As an old geezer, who used to work with some of the real LOUD rock bands - I would never buy a factory installed "Premium Sound System." What the factory considers "Premium" would never satisfy me: I could not wait to get the Bose Premium Sound System removed from my RSX. I installed - IMO - some really great components that are designed to reproduce music that I like, at a sound level I enjoy, without fear of blowing anything (except, maybe, an eardrum ).

Not trying to start an argument, but in my experience, you NEVER get what you pay for when the factory installs it.

Good luck / Good listening.

John

Nikon1
Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TSX > 2nd Gen TSX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.