Car cranks but won't start - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > CL > 2nd Gen CL

2nd Gen CL Forum related to the Acura CL - 2001-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-10, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura 3.2 CL
Car cranks but won't start

Hey everyone,

I have a 2001 3.2 CL with 94,000 miles on it. I tried starting the car up and it cranks but doesn't start. My father-in-law's friend (who seems to know quite a bit about cars) came over to check it out and he suggested that it was the timing belt.

I had the timing belt package (belt, water pump etc.) replaced at the Acura dealership in December 2008 at 78,000 miles (less than 2 years and 20,000 miles ago). How likely is it that it's the timing belt failing so soon?

I have a feeling its the sparks or the fuel pump - I couldn't find any record as to when they were last changed. Our friend was doubtful that it was the sparks since he said all 6 going at once would be unlikely (though I wonder if several of them already failed and the last 1 or 2 just gave out). What else do you think it could be?

Thanks and looking forward to hearing any suggestions!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-10, 09:41 PM   #2

Car 1: 2000 3.2TL
Car 2: 2007 RIDGELINE RTLNAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman329 View Post
Hey everyone,

I have a 2001 3.2 CL with 94,000 miles on it. I tried starting the car up and it cranks but doesn't start. My father-in-law's friend (who seems to know quite a bit about cars) came over to check it out and he suggested that it was the timing belt.

I had the timing belt package (belt, water pump etc.) replaced at the Acura dealership in December 2008 at 78,000 miles (less than 2 years and 20,000 miles ago). How likely is it that it's the timing belt failing so soon?

I have a feeling its the sparks or the fuel pump - I couldn't find any record as to when they were last changed. Our friend was doubtful that it was the sparks since he said all 6 going at once would be unlikely (though I wonder if several of them already failed and the last 1 or 2 just gave out). What else do you think it could be?

Thanks and looking forward to hearing any suggestions!
Not sure of the problem but if you had the complete timing belt package from the Acura dealership they should have changed the spark plugs. This is part of that package the dealerships do. The timing belt should last another 100K miles but anything could happen.
OEM Gold Emblem Kit/ Black Fenderwell Trim
OEM Trunk Tray /Upgraded 2001 Cup Holder Insert
OEM 6 Disc Trunk Mounted CD Changer
Pioneer GEX-FM903XM Univeral XM Digital Tuner
All Weather Floor Mats/45%Tint sides 50%Rear
FTM-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 09:27 AM   #3

Car 1: Acura 3.2 CL
Thanks for the reply FTM-1. I looked at the records again and there was no mention of the sparks in the detailed description of the timing belt package. You could be right though - they don't exactly spell out what they did.

I guess I'll have to get it towed and see what they find. It's probably about time to get a new car...this little lady is starting to become "high maintenance" :-)
iceman329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 11:00 PM   #4

My Mood: Breezy

Car 1: Acura CL 3.2
Car 2: 2003 Nissan 350z
Check the fuel relay.. Mine gives out from time to time, mostly when its hot outside..

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....
rey rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > CL > 2nd Gen CL