How To: Replace OEM HID ballast with Aftermarket Product - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > CL > 2nd Gen CL

2nd Gen CL Forum related to the Acura CL - 2001-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-10, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 2002 Honda S2000
Car 2: 2001 Acura CL
Car 3: 96 Acura Integra
How To: Replace OEM HID ballast with Aftermarket Product

Hello All,

The driver side HID Ballast/Igniter (aka Inverter) went out on my daughter's 2001 Acura CL. Well, dealer wanted $450 for a new OEM ballast, which was way more than I was prepared to spend. Local auto parts shop did not carry any solutions. After searching ebay, used ones were still almost $300 and with those, there is no telling how much life might be left in them. Therefore, I decided to take a chance on buying an aftermarket solution online which cost me $120 for the ballast/igniter. Not sure how good this is, but it has a 2 year warranty so I am hoping for the best.

Anyway, thought I would provide a write up so others can see what I did to solve the problem.

Part I - Removal of the old HID ballast

Total repair time about 1 hour.

Disclaimer: HID lights are HIGH VOLTAGE and can be very dangerous. Extreme caution should be taken whenever working around these systems! It is recommened that a trained professional handle repairs of this nature. I am not responsible for any bodily harm or damage to property should anyone attempt this repair themselves.

OK, the first thing I did was to disconnect the battery and then remove enough of the bumper out of the way so I could remove the headlight.

Pic 1- I removed just enough so I could get in there and work without having to remove the entire bumper.

To remove the bumper (or pull enough out of the way), I removed the bolts at the top of the bumper in the fender well along with the bolt on the bottom of the bumper just in front of the front tire.

I also removed the body panel in front of the radiator (obviously, had to open the hood to get to these) that was held in place with body panel fasteners. With that out of the way, I removed the 3 screws underneath it holding the bumper in place.

Along the bottom of the bumper there are more body panel fasteners that hold the bumper in place.

With those out of the way, I was able to slide the bumper back enough so I could get to the headlight bracket and bolts.

After removing the brackets (3 bolts), I was able to then remove the top bolts holding the headlight in. I also needed to unplug the blinker, Hi Beam headlight and running light along with the power connector for the HID ballast. With all those removed, I was able to then slide the headlight out.

Once the HL is out, access to the ballast (mounted on bottom of headlight) is easy. I removed the protective cover over the HID light (first removed the #20 torx security bit) by rotating the cover like unscrewing a jar. Then removed the retaining clip holding the light in place. I removed the HID bulb from the socket.

With the bulb out, I turned the headlight over and unscrewed the screws holdiing the ballast in place. With that out, I could then feed the HID socket throught the HL and out the bottom.

That concluded the removal of the old system. In part II, I will show how I installed the aftermarket system.

Additional images were for part II of this post.

Regards,
Java
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bumper.jpg (41.9 KB, 27968 views)
File Type: jpg Ballast 1.jpg (51.5 KB, 3247 views)
File Type: jpg Ballast Connector 2.jpg (89.0 KB, 2594 views)

Last edited by Java Jack; 10-11-10 at 02:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-10, 06:09 PM   #2

Unfortunately, I did not think to get more pictures of the removal process. I did try and grab more pics of the install process.

Disclaimer: HID lights are HIGH VOLTAGE and can be very dangerous. Extreme caution should be taken whenever working around these systems! It is recommened that a trained professional handle repairs of this nature. I am not responsible for any bodily harm or damage to property should anyone attempt this repair themselves.

Part II - Installing the new ballast

The aftermarket ballast I used was from Xetronic:

Xetronic Ballast Module (Single) for Factory/OEM HID Xenon Lights (D2S/D2R Compatible)

The real trick in installing the aftermarket solution was to prepare the new ballast by splicing in the power connector from the old ballast and then finding a place to mount it to the car since the universal bracket on the new ballast did not line up with the factory mounts underneath the headlight.

Therefore, I first clipped off the power connector from the old ballast and used butt connectors to wire up the power and ground leads on the new ballast. After a bunch of research, it seems water/moisture are ballast killers, therefore, I also used heatshrink tubing and electrical tape to keep the wires together and keep moisture out (see ballast connector 2.jpg in previous post for image).

Pic 1 - Here you can see I cut off the connector from the old factory ballst.

Pic 2 - Here is the connector spliced into the new ballast before wrapping it in electrical tape. See pic attached in post 1 for the completed splicing and wrap.

With the new ballast prepped, I had to find a place to mount it. As luck would have it, it fit right above the plenum box. I tucked the 2 flanges (mounting holes) under the steel bracket and then zip tied front mounting hole to the steel hinge on the plenum box. This held it securely in place. Note, this is for the driver side HID system, I have not looked at the passenger side to see where a replacement ballast might fit. Should anyone attempt to replace the passenger side, it would be great to add an addendum to this thread with details on how the passenger side works out.

Pic 3 - Here the new ballast is sitting on top of the plenum box with the flanges tucked under the steel bracket and the front mounting hole zip tied to the hinge. Zip tie is black so it is a little hard to see.

Pic 4 - Another angle so you can see how it fits.

I was then able to feed the socket connector up through the bottom of the HL just as it was with the factory ballast and install the bulb and use the retaining clip to hold it in place. I also was able to route the power connector back up the side of the headlight just as it was with the old ballast. Note, I also wrapped the connector to the ballast with electrical tape to help keep out moisture.

I then connected back up the various lights and slid the HL back in place and secure the top 2 bolts.

Pic 6 - Here you can see with the ballast installed, the light back in and the bracket in place, there is plenty of room.

You can see that the mounting location for the new ballast did not interferre with the HL nor the bracket. I then installed the HL bracket to complete the install process of the HL and ballast.

The remaining steps were to put the bumper back on which is the reverse of the removal process.

Overall, the job was fairly easy and only took about an hour start to finish. The new ballast does make a hum for the first 20 seconds or so while it warms up and ignites the bulb. I also noticed the color of the light was slightly different than the OEM ballast. However, I think this is due to I grabbed the wrong bulb when I installed it. Note, during my original troubleshooting of the headlight, I purchased a replacement bulb to see if that was the problem. I am guessing that the replacement bulb was not quite the same color as the factory bulb.

Well, that is how I solved my HID light issue and saved over $300 in the process.

Regards
Java
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Ballast.jpg (56.6 KB, 26304 views)
File Type: jpg Ballast Connector 1.jpg (82.1 KB, 26153 views)
File Type: jpg Ballast 3.jpg (56.2 KB, 26786 views)
File Type: jpg Ballast 2.jpg (52.5 KB, 25692 views)
File Type: jpg Bumper and Ballast.jpg (39.7 KB, 27193 views)

Last edited by Java Jack; 10-11-10 at 02:15 PM.
Java Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 01:45 AM   #3

I guess I need 3 more posts before I can post links, etc. I will try to get this updated with pics, shortly.
Old 10-10-10, 09:29 AM   #4

How does the color of the side with the new ballast compare to the oem ballast?
Stonemill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 01:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemill View Post
How does the color of the side with the new ballast compare to the oem ballast?
I sent you a message about it just now. But I believe the color change is due to the bulb and not the ballast.

As part of when I was troubleshooting the issue, I picked up a new bulb. When that did not fix it, I then ordered the ballast.

Upon putting everything back together, I grabbed the wrong bulb so there is a slight color shift from one side to the other. I have not bothered to go back and replace the bulb with the factory one again as I just have not had time.

I don't think the ballast impacts the actual color of the light. If you look on various websites you can actually order bulbs with different color temps for an HID system.
Old 11-05-10, 09:27 PM   #6

Car 1: 2003 acura CL
Oh good Lord, I now have bought two bulbs and a ballast. I hope I can find a mechanic because now I'm worried that I don't have an igniter. This is totally frustrating!!! ARGH
angelkattexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkattexas View Post
Oh good Lord, I now have bought two bulbs and a ballast. I hope I can find a mechanic because now I'm worried that I don't have an igniter. This is totally frustrating!!! ARGH
If you purchased the unit I used, the ballast and igniter are all one unit. I think older models used separate ballast and igniter modules.
Old 11-08-10, 06:01 PM   #8

Working on this tonight. Already pulled the front clip off. Took all of 15 minutes. Gonna replace both ballasts and got a new set of bulbs. Hopefully all goes well. I'll post my results later tonight or tomorrow. Just looking over pictures now. Seems too easy. Thanks again for the post.
Old 11-08-10, 06:49 PM   #9

Went to wire in the new ballast and when I opened the box that had been shipped to my sisters house I found that xetronics shipped me the wrong parts. Sent me part no. Ub100. Not a d2s/d2r ballast. Called xetronics and of course the right ballasts are out of stock. 3-5 days until they will come in and then they'll ship them out. Xetronics was cool about it but we'll see how long it takes for the parts to arrive. They said they'd overnight them after I insisted. But, now my sisters car gets to sit at my house with no front clip until the right ballasts arrive.
Old 11-11-10, 02:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Went to wire in the new ballast and when I opened the box that had been shipped to my sisters house I found that xetronics shipped me the wrong parts. Sent me part no. Ub100. Not a d2s/d2r ballast. Called xetronics and of course the right ballasts are out of stock. 3-5 days until they will come in and then they'll ship them out. Xetronics was cool about it but we'll see how long it takes for the parts to arrive. They said they'd overnight them after I insisted. But, now my sisters car gets to sit at my house with no front clip until the right ballasts arrive.
Sorry to hear about the mix up. It is pretty easy. Note, I did not do the passenger side so I am not sure if there is an easy place to mount it. Might be worthwhile to snap a few pics so others can see how the passenger side goes in.
Old 11-11-10, 03:01 PM   #11

Hi All,

I'm having the same trouble with my 2000 Acura TL and plan to replace the ballast on the passenger side. I am going to call Xetronics, but just in case, does anyone know if the Xetronics part will work with the 2000 TL?

@Stonemill, do you have a CL or a TL? I would appreciate if you can snap some pictures as I'll be working on the passenger side too.

More power to all of you! :-)
javaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 08:04 PM   #12

Car 1: 2003 acura cl type s
The 2003 CL manual says for the HID bulb high voltage can remain in the circuit even with the light switch off and the key removed and therefore do not attempt to change the bulb yourself. How does one ensure the circuit is disharged or otherwise remove the bulb sasfely

Thanks ERNIE.
ernieleugner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 06:41 AM   #13

The car I'm installing on is a CL. Hope you got things figured out. We ordered ballasts and bulbs from xetronics on 10/28. This past week, we finally got the right ballasts. They sent the wrong ballasts, then only one ballast, then forgot the wire connectors. Every time I called, they said they didn't know anything about it, which made it take twice as long. Customer service there is absolutely worthless. I wanted to just return everything, but they said they would charge a 20% restocking fee. They need to pull there heads out of there a$$es over there. The two ballasts I have in my hands are similar, but not identical. The part numbers are different, but they tell me they are the same ballast. We'll see what happens when I do the install today. My luck it'll burn up my sisters CL. I need to stop volunteering to help people out with there car issues.

As far as XETONICS, DO NOT BUY FOM THEM.
There are other places to buy parts and this place is just terrible.

For safety with this project, as long as you disconnect the battery, and leave it disconnected for awhile, they'll be no juice left in the old ballasts. I didn't disconnect the battery, just unplugged the ballasts. It's been awhile, so I'm certain they are discharged now.

Good Luck to anyone else who attempts this and mucho gracias to the OP.

I'll post up after I'm all done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javaguy View Post
Hi All,

I'm having the same trouble with my 2000 Acura TL and plan to replace the ballast on the passenger side. I am going to call Xetronics, but just in case, does anyone know if the Xetronics part will work with the 2000 TL?

@Stonemill, do you have a CL or a TL? I would appreciate if you can snap some pictures as I'll be working on the passenger side too.

More power to all of you! :-)

Last edited by Stonemill; 01-01-11 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-01-11, 01:17 PM   #14

I decided to not hack apart the old ballast since one is still good and somebody can use it. I'm looking for connectors from autozone or Ill just cut the factory car side of the wiring and add my own connector. I'm also planning to use a rubber plug and silicone to seal the bottom of the light.

I'm replacing both sides, so if anyone needs a ballast, I have one (two but one is believed to be bad) with a set of used bulbs. PM with an offer for all if interested. $225 shipped seem fair?
Old 01-16-11, 05:00 PM   #15

Quote:
As far as XETONICS, DO NOT BUY FOM THEM.
There are other places to buy parts and this place is just terrible.
So, I am in no way affilitated with Xetronic. My experience with them was pretty good. However, I only chatted with them one time online before ordering and my order was not mixed up so I cannot really comment on their customer service.

However, you are right, there are other places to get the ballast for probably a similar price.

Sorry it has been such a mess for you, but looking forward to seeing your results when completed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > CL > 2nd Gen CL