Synthetic VS OEM motor oil - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > CL > 2nd Gen CL

2nd Gen CL Forum related to the Acura CL - 2001-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-06, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: Lancer Ls 02'
Car 2: Altima GLE 01'
Car 3: CL 3.2 Type S 03'
Synthetic VS OEM motor oil

I want to switch up the oil forn the oem recommended 5w20 to a synthetic grade(probibly mobil 1) but i heard a few horror stories about honda motors and how they only like the original recommended oil. If anyone has any info or experience about this it would be great. I tend to drive my car a bit hard(or so they say) so i think it would be a good idea for the switch IF it doesnt give me problems. Any info on this issue would be appreciated. Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-06, 11:58 AM   #2
Moderator?
Supporting Member

Car 1: 08 4Runner Limited
I don't care how hard your drive your car, a Honda motor is going to long outlast the car (and definitely the tranny if its an AT) if all you did was follow the recommended oil change interval using conventional oil.
Old 04-14-06, 10:55 AM   #3

synthetic oil

Yah I know there very strong motors. I just would like to have the synthetic to ease my mind if there wont be any conflicts. And I always thought AT trannys are usually stronger than their MT counterparts but i may be wrong.
Thanks for the reply.
CLspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 02:36 AM   #4
Moderator?
Supporting Member

And I always thought AT trannys are usually stronger than their MT counterparts but i may be wrong.
[/QUOTE]

You've never heard of the 5AT failures on the CL, TL, and virtually every other V6 Honda attached it to?
Old 04-17-06, 11:01 AM   #5

No i actually havent. Wahts the deal on that?, if you dont mind telling me.
CLspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 03:10 AM   #6
Moderator?
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLspeedster
No i actually havent. Wahts the deal on that?, if you dont mind telling me.
A lot of them have failed. Repeatedly. There's people around here that are on their 3rd or 4th tranny. They extended the warranty to 100k miles because of it. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it either. Some people's have died very early, like 2k miles. Other people who might have thought they got a good one had theirs die at 60k. That tranny is a total turd. I'm so glad I sold my 01 auto and got the 6 speed manual instead. No problems with the manuals.
Old 04-26-06, 12:23 PM   #7
HottO3CLtypeS

Car 1: 2003 CL-S 6spd
I just changed my oil to Mobil1 5w20 full synthetic and my CL-s runs soooooo smooth now. Any new oil will run smoother than old, but I have never felt such smooth operation. Also--a friend of mine used only Mobil1 full synthetic in a car of theirs....it has lasted over 175k and its a domestic. Take it for what its work...Mineral v. Synthetic...we could argue/discuss this forever....do you and follow your instincts.
buddy4679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-06, 05:31 PM   #8

Car 1: 2000 3.2TL
Car 2: 2007 RIDGELINE RTLNAV
I switched over to the MOBIL 1 synthetic about 3 years ago with my 2000TL.
I purchased my car new in late 1999 & had the oil changed on a regular basis. I had the regular oil put in at dealership about every 4,000 miles or at the pakage dealer service intervals. When I swithed to the MOBIL 1 I notice the ease of starting the car on winter mournings. Not to say that I had problems with starting with the regular oil but it started better with the synthetic. The service advisor told me at the dealership when I first changed over to the MOBIL 1 that the HONDA oil filter should be used to avoid problems. This was a bunch of crap but he might have heard somthing about some of the bargin priced oil filters causing prolems. I use the Mobil 1 high quality filter The car to me runs better with the synthetic oil. The oil change I got last summer I just had that changed a few moths ago. MOBIL 1 came out with the EXTENDED PERFORMACE 15,000 mile oil last year. They say the oil is good for 15,000 miles or one year. I won't go the 15,000 miles on it but I did about 10,000 miles with it. I do mostly highway driving so don't need to change oil that often. The last oil change a few months ago I also had the newer MOBIL 1 EXTENDED PERFOMACE oil filter put on. I had been using the older MOBIL 1 filters. Synthetic oils are 700 times greater then conventional motor oils. This is a factor called sher strength. You can change to synthetic oil at anytime no matter if the car is old or new. The only time you would not change to synthetic is if the car is already leaking oil or it burns oil. Synthetic oils will not cause leaks 85% to 95% of engine wear happens at start-up. I learned some of this in a Maint.Sem for Car Owners/Mech that I took a few years ago.
OEM Gold Emblem Kit/ Black Fenderwell Trim
OEM Trunk Tray /Upgraded 2001 Cup Holder Insert
OEM 6 Disc Trunk Mounted CD Changer
Pioneer GEX-FM903XM Univeral XM Digital Tuner
All Weather Floor Mats/45%Tint sides 50%Rear
FTM-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-06, 08:30 PM   #9
Protect which matters...

My Mood: Lurking

Car 1: 2007 Honda Ridgeline
Car 2: 2004 Toyota Sienna
We had a pretty good discussion on this topic at our sister-site, acura-legend.com:

http://acura-legend.com/vbulletin/sh...t=54295&page=3

"mweber88" has some interesting posts starting at reply #34 on page 3.

Personally, I think people who claim synthetics hurt something with their engines are FULL OF SHIT and shouldn't be allowed to drive a car at all.
If fidelity to freedom of democracy is the code of our civic religion, then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received....
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > CL > 2nd Gen CL