Yes or No 2001 Acura CL Type-S 255,000 Miles - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > CL > 2nd Gen CL

2nd Gen CL Forum related to the Acura CL - 2001-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-10, 07:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Yes or No 2001 Acura CL Type-S 255,000 Miles

Hey All,

I am new to this forum. I wanted some buyer's advice on a car I am interested in. I was thinking of getting a 2001 Acura CL Type-S. It has 255,000 Miles and is in actually good condition. It is very clean and the engine compartment looks almost new-a dealer trick I know...I test drove the car and it seemed alright. The throttle seemed overly sensitive, often jerking a bit from stop or perhaps, I was pressing the pedal too hard...the transmission shifted fine. The rear suspension did make some rather loud clunking-bad struts. Other than that, there really was nothing else of concern.

My question is, for 3K, would this car be a decent buy? Is it likely that the transmission would have been replaced @ this mileage? In your opinion, at this mileage, what are some concerns you would think of?

Thanks a TON!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-10, 05:08 AM   #2

Car 1: 99 Hona Civic
Car 2: 00 Galant V6 twin turbo
Car 3: 03 Acura 3.2 CL type S
I would stay away from that car. With that high of milage on a car thats when a lot of parts. Plus $3,000 is way to much for that car with tose miles no matter how clean it is. That car sounds like a money pit and if the tranny goes it'll be more expensive to replace than you paid for the car. You also dont know how well it was matianced by the previos owner so there might need to be serviced and Acura charges a lot. Also the reason the rear suspension is clunking is because its shot and i'm sure the front is shot as well. They were probably never replaced. I would look for a different car, there are a lot of nice used cars under $3k with a lot lower miles. Never buy a car with over 150,000 miles on it unless its a beater.
smh62210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 01:33 PM   #3

Car 1: 1996 Honda Civic
Car 2: 2003 Acura CL-S 6 Speed
I say go for it, 3k isn't much for that kind of car, yes the tranny has been replaced, thats almost a guarantee at that many miles. But you can do a swap for the 07 TL tranny if it dies again, this tranny has been tested pretty well so far and doesnt seem to have issues. or you can do a 6 speed swap, whatever your heart desires.

But for the price, even with that many miles, if the car has been well kept and serviced when it was supposed to I would say its a fair buy
Nersh.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 03:42 PM   #4
Noobalicious

Car 1: 91 Lexus LS400
Car 2: 01 Acura 3.2 CL
Car 3: 02 Honda Civic
I feel bad to keep posting on such old threads but...

anyway, i have to say no too, i bought mine with 71,007 service recs and smooth tranny. $6,700. I know if the trans goes i'll drop a 6speed manny in it. on the other hand if you can talk them down to ahhh, 1500ish then go for it, you could always part it out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > CL > 2nd Gen CL