Acura World banner

Maint Req. Engine Light

31K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jacek 
#1 ·
The Main Req. light has turned on in my car reciently....

I just passed 10k miles, I have 10,033 atm so I think it's a reminder to get an oil change. But how do I turn it off?

I tried hooking up my odb II reader to it, but it doesn't read any warning/error messages, and I also tried clearing it out but that didn't make the light turn off.

Does anyone know how to turn that engine light off without going to the dealer? I rather do it myself, cause I don't trust dealer mechanics.

Oh, and I did just change my oil. KN&N oil filter and Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil.

#3 ·
Ok Jacek, I hope this helps:
Well just last night my Maintenance Required Light came on. So I called my friend that works for Acura and ask how do I trun it off. It takes less than 2 mins. to do this simple task. This is how to turn it off. Its a simple as turn off your car, with the keys out of the ignition, push and hold down the Select, and Reset button for your odomiter. While holding them down put your keys in and turn the car to the run position but don't turn the car on. The (MRL) will blinks once, and the wait about another 5-10 seconds and the light will then turn off. You can now release the to buttons. Now just turn the car back to the off position, and go ahead and start the car up. The Maintenance Required Light will now be off and stay off for 25,000 miles He also informed me that this works for most Honda/Acura vehicles. Like the RL, MDX, TSX, Pilot, Accord, and others. I hope that I helped so of you out.

#4 ·
Also Jacek, I think the light comes not just for an oil change reminder. It comes on to let us know that it's time for the small maintenance service where they rotate the tires and check a few things that they normally don't do on a regular oil change. I'm sure you knew this already but I just wanted to double check.

#7 ·
edcracker said:
i got the same problem on my 2002 RSX, took it to the dealership,. They had to replace the Oxygen Sensor.
As I said I hooked up an ODB 2 reader to the car and it says everything is fine. If the O2 sensor had blown it would have reported it on the ODB 2 reader. :snipe:

But thankx for the input guys, I'll try it out tommorrow. Just got home and don't feel like going outside right now, it's raining.

#8 ·
ok it worked, the maint req'd is now off. Thankx guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.