Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > RSX

RSX Forum related to the Acura RSX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-08, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: MDX
Car 2: RSX
Car 3: C240
Wife wants a softer ride, softer shocks available?

I love my 2002 RSX but I have to admit, the ride is kinda stiff. I read some earlier posts about lowering the tire pressure but I already did that. No help. I have 80k on it so it should have softened up already.

Any recommendations on a softer shock? I read that KYB may have a shock out for the RSX but is it softer than stock? I put KYB's in my BMW and it was stiffer than stock.

I also read that a Civic shock may work. Has that been done?

Dave
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-08, 06:38 PM   #2
Old Parts Slinger
Supporting Member

Garage

Car 1: 2002 RSX
Car 2: 2007 Honda Ridgeline
Car 3: 2005 Honda Civic
There's not much you can do there to soften up the ride as the factory spring rates are fairly high and most aftermarket springs are higher still. Depending on the year RSX, you might (and this is a big might) get away with some stock Honda Civic springs. The rates are lower vs. stock RSX springs and I think they're shorter as well, which will bring the ride height down probably somewhere around half an inch or so.

Second option (and probably my favorate) is to tell the wife to STFU. Cons of this is you might not get any for a while, but at least she won't be bitching about it anymore.
Old 11-05-08, 07:38 PM   #3
Miss my DC5, Love my AP1

Car 1: 2003 SSM RSX-S (RIP)
Car 2: 2001 Red S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by C25A1guy View Post
Second option (and probably my favorate) is to tell the wife to STFU. Cons of this is you might not get any for a while, but at least she won't be bitching about it anymore.
lol... JK,

2001 New Formula Red S2000
Philly and South Jersey Region SCCA SoloII #91AS
Bronxbomber252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 07:54 PM   #4

Car 1: MDX
Car 2: RSX
Car 3: C240
Springs

Thanks....the Honda Civic spring change sounds kinda risky. Good idea though. I wouldn't mind lowering it too. I looked at Tire Racks site and they are selling some Hotchkis springs for $105 for the set I bet they will make the car stiffer?? I once lowered my BMW with "soft" lowering springs with stock shocks and it rode great. Any ideas how soft the Hotchkis springs are?

I also read that you don't recommend just changing the springs and I should get the coilovers. I bet that will make the car ride pretty rough so not sure about a spring only change. Too expensive too.

I guess the best way to deal with all this is to give the car to my son... we bought it for him anyway!! I sure hate to commute in my MDX though. We sure like the gas mileage in the RSX.

Thanks for the help!!!
tak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 02:04 AM   #5

I think the RSX ride is a good balance between a sporty stiff ride and comfort but obviously you don't. I'm more biased towards a sporty ride but I understand where you are coming from.

If the car is meant for your son he'll probably like the stiff ride so it might be a good idea to get your son's opinion first before thinking about changing it. As it's been mentioned most after market kits are usually to make your car's ride stiffer so you'll only make the problem worst. Trying to get one from a Civic is probably your best bet because you'll want to get stock and not after market.
Mike_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > RSX