1999 RL ABS/TCS Lights stay on *ADVANCED PROBLEM* - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL

1st Gen RL Forum for the 1996-2004 Acura RL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-12, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

1999 RL ABS/TCS Lights stay on *ADVANCED PROBLEM*

Hello.

The ABS/TCS light stays on in the 1999 Acura RL. The TCS light will occasionally turn off, but it will not stay off permanently. Also, when I make a right turn at 0-10 MPH, the TCS will function and stall the engine for a brief moment. Also, most importantly, the OBDII reader will not read the fault codes. I have taken it to two mechanics and their machines cannot read the codes and/or no codes are being sent to the machine. Also, the check engine light will come on intermittently. But, since the codes cannot be read, the check engine problem cannot be diagnosed.

Recommended fixes:

New/Used ECU. I installed a used ECU guaranteed to work, but the car would not start. The engine would only turn over. Either the used ECU is broken or it won't start because the key isn't sync'd to the new ECU. No way of knowing unless I spend $100+ to have new keys made to the new ECU. This might fix the check engine light and inability for the ECU codes to be read, but it doesn't seem to fix the ABS/TCS light problem.

New ABS/Wheel sensor. Would I replace the left or right sensor if it only malfunctions at low mph right turns? Also, would this explain the inability of the OBDII to read the codes?

Maybe it's a combination of both, but I'd like some input.

Thank you!

Last edited by collinmacquarrie; 01-04-12 at 06:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-12, 08:51 PM   #2

You need to get yourself a SCS SERVICE CONNECTOR [07PAZ-0010100] to read the code(s) for the ABS Issues.

Do you have a service manual? Instructions on how to read the codes are on Pg 19-40, 19-41

ABS is one of the things i plan to tackle on my 96 RL in the coming weeks.
lordz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 02:09 PM   #3

My Mood: Breezy

Car 1: Acura RL 1999
I have had problems with my TCS also. The car wouldnt go past five mph without sputtering back to idle. So I just took the fuse out and I no longer have TCS.
Tootufft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 10:45 PM   #4

My Mood: Amused

Car 1: 1998 Explorer 4x4
Car 2: 1972 Monte Carlo
Car 3: 1996 Acura RL
I just this afternoon took my 96 RL in because both the ABS and TCs lights are on. The mechanic has some special computer to test ABS. Later in the day he says he's not getting any codes and believes its an electrical problem that they couldnt figure out. Sounds alot like your issue collin.

If I pull the ABS and TCS fuses, will the dash lights go out? It's annoying that they're always on.
alohamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 12:55 AM   #5

Are you guys reading the codes from the correct outlets? CEL codes from the OBDII port. ABS from the abs port under the glove box.
NYC_RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL