99 Acura RL steering column manual up and down adjustment? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL

1st Gen RL Forum for the 1996-2004 Acura RL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-09, 01:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: buick regal
Car 2: 99 acura 3.5 RL
99 Acura RL steering column manual up and down adjustment?

The tilt moter on my steering wheel does not function. the in and out works, but the up and down does not. I unplugged the battery to see if this would temporarily fix the problem enough for me to adjust the steering wheel to my liking and it did not.

So, i was wondering if anyone knows a way to adjust the steering wheel to a lower position manually? If so, how? any diagrams or pictures available?

any suggestions would be much appreciated on my 99 acura 3.5 RL

thanks guys, im new to the forums and am enjoying the things im learning.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-09, 07:30 PM   #2

My Mood: Busy
I have a similar problem on my 1996 RL. I have the service manual but no real solution. I am attaching a few pages from the manual. Maybe it makes sense to you..

Since I see no one responded, did you solve your problem?
Jim H
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RL9604S23225A.pdf (48.3 KB, 989 views)
File Type: pdf RL9604S23226A.pdf (47.3 KB, 811 views)
commdude00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-09, 11:58 PM   #3

I have the same problem with my 98RL. I took my car to the dealership and after about an hour of investigating they told me my steering column was damaged (broken) and the cost to fix it was not worth the trouble.
Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 12:22 AM   #4
Ultimate DIYer

Car 1: 1997 RL w/ Navi
If you search the forum, you may find answers from some threads including mine. But here you go again. The problem is usually not the motors but the broken axle thread which is made of fragile plastic gear. You can remove the steering column covers by unscrewing some bolts and then you can access the plastic gear threads. It happened to me as well. Mine worked for up/down but in/out. I just use a super strong epoxy glue to fix the broken gear thread and then assembled everything and tested. It became back to work but I just switched the AUTO position off because I don't want to be screwed in the future.
97_RLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 10:24 AM   #5

Car 1: 1998 Acura RL
I took mine apart as well and saw the yellow plastic gear was broke but couldn't figure out how to repair it so I just turned it a little. so now I can make little adjustments but havent tried going all the way since it will most likely mess up again.
Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 05:30 PM   #6

Car 1: 1994 Vigor GS Manual
Car 2: 1997 RL
Same issue with mine. The in/out gear is broken. Can still adjust up and down. I just manually set the extension by taking the console cover off and turning the screw/bolt under there. Not worth the money to replace, unless you have a 5-foot driver and a 6-foot-3 driver and need to be able to adjust it. My 2 cents.
Rower4VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 03:27 AM   #7

Car 1: 96 Acura 3.5RL
I having the same problem. I went ahead and tried out the steering wheel and heard the motor making noise in the up/down. The in/out was working fine. I thought the gear was stuck and tried some more on the up/down. Now the motor isn't making anymore noise. So I took apart my steering column and tested the switch by swaping the plugs to give power to the up/down gear. same thing happened I heard the motor and then nothing. I switch back the plug and now my in/out is gone as well.

I can still hear the relay making some noise when i push the switch. What do I need to replace. I'm hearing four different locations of the relay for every button on the switch. Do I need to replace them all and the up/down gear?

I'm selling the car and would like this to be working for the new buyer so they can adjust the wheel to there needs. Plus it would be a really cool selling point.
meandino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 03:54 AM   #8

does anyone have a wire schematic?
Old 01-15-10, 09:19 AM   #9
2000RL

Car 1: 2000 RL
Car 2: 1985 RX-7GSL-SE
Things made out of plastic tend to wear-out after years of use. Being an owner of a 10 y/o RL I decided to adjust my steering column and then put the "auto" switch in the "off" position. 10 plus years of the column tilting and extending/retracting every time the key is put in the ignition or removed can in my opinion lead to premature fail of the plastic gears that drive the steering column adjustments. Hopefully this action can help me avoid a very expensive and annoying situation. Just my .02 cents.
2000RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 01:14 PM   #10

My Mood: Amused
http://forums.acuralegend.org/fix-ad...light=steering

hope that helps
sinnedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 03:23 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedone View Post
hope that helps
Of course it helps. Thanks for finding this. I Thought I Might have to pull the whole column out of my car. This saves me a lot of time and grief.
Old 06-23-11, 04:43 PM   #12

Car 1: 1966 Chevelle SS
Car 2: 1969 Chevelle SS
Car 3: 1975 Corvette
I had left the lights on in my 98 RL and when I tried to start the car, the steering wheel started to move to its driving position, but the battery didn't have enough power to start the car or let the steering wheel finish moving. After jump-starting the car, the wheel would move in and out, but not up and down. Thanks to the above post from Sinnedone, the following fix worked for me:

1. reset the steering column module.

This can be acomplished by either disconnecting the negative battery cable, (making sure you have radio codes etc) or disconnecting the 3 plugs from the module itself which is located on the left side of the steering column. If the steering colum module senses something out of place it will stop working that particualr adjustment. Could be either tilt, retract, or both.
greenacuraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 10:14 AM   #13

Car 1: 96 Acura RL
Car 2: 06 Acura RL
I found the gears at a pick and pull
boljangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL