Cold weather, Engine valve tapping - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL

1st Gen RL Forum for the 1996-2004 Acura RL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-04, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Cold weather, Engine valve tapping

what's up all, I have a 98' RL with ~67K miles. (I love it) I have been noticing, when I start the car in cold weather, (NYC 0-36) I here what i think is my valves tapping.

has anyone else noticed this?
and is this something I should be concered about.

I us the recommended weight for oil, (Castrol Synteck motor oil) with fram oil filiters. I change the oil religiously @ 2500 Miles. (only cause all my life i been trained to change my oil like that)

Anyway I only here the tapping at ~ 700-1800 rpm. does anyone have any idea what this could be?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-04, 07:02 PM   #2
Cruisin'

First off, do NOT buy FRAM oil filters. They are the worst filters on the market, I wouldn't put one on my 1980 Mustang winter car. Look here:

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

As for your sound, I also have a '98 and it has 118000 miles on it. I started it two nights ago at -40C with no tapping or ticking, but I have recently posted a thread about a sound similar to it and it only happens at the low RPM/throttle position range.

Does your sound only happen when first starting and then it goes away? If so, your oil may be taking a little longer to start flowing (oil pump dying?) and it may well be the lifters/valves you are hearing. An Acura tech should be able to tell you if it is the lifters/valves right away, but the car would be well warmed up by the time you drove it there and reproducing the sound could be troublesome. Contact your area Acura dealer and speak with a tech, couldn't hurt.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-04, 07:34 PM   #3

Kilroy, good looking out, I never new Fram had such a bad rep. I will definitly avoid them from now on.
dabigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-04, 11:10 AM   #4
Acuraworld Junior Member

About the tapping.....

Hey Bud.....I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but the sound you're hearing is most often sediment caught in the hyd. valve lifters. I've got a 96 with 56K on it that kind of does the same thing. Frankly, you can't do much, again change oil regularly, and use a really good filter. Good news though, it shouldn't have any effect on the performance or health of the engine. We've got a couple isuzu troopers that have a very similar head design, and have been making that noise for 150K miles. Still running strong, don't worry too much.
PS Thinner weight oils, 5w-30, etc. are usually better at cleaning out the lifters. Cheers
icarus74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-04, 08:22 PM   #5
Cruisin'

I also have a Chevy truck and am a member on a Chevy Forum. Guys there swear by an additive called 'Marvel Mystery Oil' to quite any out of the ordinary engine noises and clean lifters and valves. You may want to look into that. Unfortunately, I am in Canada and can't find the product anywhere or I would have used it on my truck as well.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 07:33 AM   #6

Car 1: 99 Acura RL (Sold)
Car 2: 04 MDX Touring 189
Car 3: 97 Acura NSX-T (Sold)
I know there have been stories about Fram, but I believe Honda uses two suppliers for their OEM filters. One has 6 holes and the other has 8. I remember the service person telling me that one of these is made by Fram. The other is made by a Japanese company.

I still get the OEM filters since they cost $5 at my dealership.
WilliamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 03:42 PM   #7

i think on acura's owners link, acura suggest that it is normal with their engine to tap. you can try a thicker oil if you cant stand it. try castro 0-30 syntec with the "made in germany" in the back of the bottle.

also if you are using synthetic oil, and change it every 2.5k, you are wasting lots of money. a good dino brand will be as good as any synthetic out there if oil change interval is around 4-5k miles. i use synthetic oil and change it after 8-9k miles. check out bobistheoil.com forum, there are lots of scientific data in the used oil analyst forum.

lastly fram oil filters are no good. here is another proof: http://www.lesabret.com/filters/filter.html
RL me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-04, 08:05 PM   #8

I hear it too....

I hear a clicking or tapping when it is really cold and I start my car. At low RPM's the clicking sounds like it could be a dead valve, but it also sounds like my ignition firing. My Trans Am has a multi-spark ignition and that is exactly what the clicking sounds like...so I am not worried. Just what I think...could be wrong....
WhiteAc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-04, 08:18 AM   #9
Acuraworld Junior Member

This is concerning the Fram filters.

You guys are talking about the regular Fram filters, what about the Tough Guard filters made by them.

Those are pretty good arent' they?

-D

Traded in: 2001 CL-S Satin Silver
* Comptech Springs
* Comptech Ice Box
bucd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-04, 08:06 PM   #10

in general, frams oil filters are not that great, and they re usually too expensive for what they are. i believe fram tough guard uses cardboard end caps, while other brand use metal end caps.

there are many better brand than frams out there. pure one, champion, mobil1, and bosche.

i always use the pure one (6 dollars from pepboy) oil filter and the mobil1 (11 bucks from autozone). these two filters have synthetic filter material and larger filter area for better flow rate.
RL me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-04, 03:59 PM   #11
Old Parts Slinger
Supporting Member

Garage

Car 1: 2002 RSX
Car 2: 2007 Honda Ridgeline
Car 3: 2005 Honda Civic
As far as oil filters, I would stay away from USDM Honda filters and Fram. In my RSX, I currently use a filter made by a company called HAMP. They're one of the manifactures of the JDM Honda oil filters and have excellent build quality. I also pay like $10 a filter for the HAMP/JDM Honda filters too. Other recomendations would be the Mobil1 filter and the STP (same filter, just that the STP does not have a waxy coating over the filtering media, both are top notch, but the STP is much cheaper).
Old 02-19-04, 05:00 AM   #12
Acuraworld Junior Member

I didnt read all if the replys, so if someone already said this, sorry.
Are you running hig octane fuel? in fot may result in knocking.
Also , icarus is right, thinner oil wieghts will clean better, also may want to try an oil additive
jakethurmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL