dash light bulbs - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL

1st Gen RL Forum for the 1996-2004 Acura RL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-05, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question dash light bulbs

Does anyone have any info on how to replace the dash light bulbs?

Several of them are out in the fuel gauge area. I don't seem to be able to get to them from behind. Do I have to take the whole thing apart?

Any help is appreciated!

thanks,
Tom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-05, 02:54 AM   #2

Car 1: Acura RL 2000
Car 2: Honda CRV 2000
Car 3: V Star Classic 2000
same boat - I have some that are out on in the speedo side - love to know how to replace.

JB
2kstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 12:58 PM   #3

My Mood: Breezy
Yeah me too !
Old 12-19-05, 06:59 PM   #4

Car 1: 1998 Lexus GS400
Car 2: 2004 Mazda MPV
Car 3: 1997 Acura RL-SOLD
Must be Pandemic.......My Temp gauge light and "select" button light had been out for some time and I was able to, in the past, tap it back to life but now it is dead. I think the actual procedure is pretty hard but the Stealership.....urrrr.... I mean the dealership would probably charge an arm and a couple of toes. Use the search function. I think i found it here before. I wish Acura used more durable light bulbs though considering it is supposed to be a premium vehicle and all.
Joelseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 11:15 AM   #5

As far as I can gather from the Helm manual you have to take the instrument panel out and to do that you have to first take out the center panel (air cond., radio etc.). I figured there might be an easier way.

Sounds like a pain, maybe I'll wait until a few more of the bulbs go out before I do this :-)

Joelseff: I tried searching but didn't manage to find anything. I'll try again.
tthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 12:12 PM   #6

Car 1: 1998 Acura RL SE
Car 2: 2005 Nissan Frontier SE
Car 3: 1948 Chevy Thriftmaster
or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomas
Sounds like a pain, maybe I'll wait until a few more of the bulbs go out before I do this :-)
I would approach it like headlight bulbs, and just replace all of them at once. Then I wouldn't lose sleep over it later...
Aaron
awisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 12:42 PM   #7

My Mood: Breezy
How much would the dealer charge to fix the lights ?
Old 12-20-05, 07:24 PM   #8

Yet another question about the bulbs...regarding the speedometer on my '97. The lighting on my speedometer on my '97 seems poorly distributed compared to my '01. I am wondering if there is a bulb out behind my speedometer on the '97 because the lighting does not seem uniform around the whole gauge; the speeds that would be viewed during highway driving seem to be in a dim spot. Is this normal?
WhiteAc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 01:19 AM   #9

Car 1: 1998 Lexus GS400
Car 2: 2004 Mazda MPV
Car 3: 1997 Acura RL-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomas
As far as I can gather from the Helm manual you have to take the instrument panel out and to do that you have to first take out the center panel (air cond., radio etc.). I figured there might be an easier way.

Joelseff: I tried searching but didn't manage to find anything. I'll try again.
Oh it might be on www.acura-legend.com Try searching for it there. I remember thinking the procedure was freakin ridiculous like you have to remove the center console, Climate Control and Stereo...No thanks!!!
Joelseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 04:26 PM   #10

Car 1: 97 Acura RL
Dash Light Bulbs

Although I haven't changed mine yet, I have done a little research.
Supposedly, you can replace the bulbs (although my dealer said, "All you can do is replace the whole instrument cluster."), but you do have to remove the center vent, etc..... and then "roll" the instrument cluster.
I found the description of how to do this on a TSB that involved adjusting speedometer discrepancy.
I was told the bulbs were "dealer only" as opposed to something that is carried by your local Radio Shack. Also told that there were between 8-10 bulbs, and they cost around $8 each.
KyAcura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 12:11 AM   #11

injstrument cluster light bulbs

I posted this question last year and found out generally the same that the middle vent must come out first!! Alot of work without a manual to give directions. The dealer wants about $250 for the job and they will only do it with replacing all ten bulbs @ 10.00 each.

there must be someone out ther that has access to a shop manual so we can , those of us who can do the work, can see the directions.
Steve Young
skyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 08:51 PM   #12
Fresh Azimiz

Car 1: 1998 Acura 3.5RL SE
Car 2: 2004 Acura 3.5RL
of course you all know you have to take out the center console by popping off the gear select cover and the wood trim to access the two screws at the bottom. then get the center air vents out to access the two screws at the top. pull the a/c radio assy out (but dont disconnect anything). there are two screws at the top of the instrument cluster hood take those out and then rotate the hood towards you and pull it out. then your going to unscrew the gauge cluster and unhook the connectors from behind it...

i believe the bulb size is #74 and you can order them shits cheap online. screw $10 a bulb.
Old 11-18-06, 11:39 PM   #13

Did anyone ever find a replacement bulb for the instrument cluster on a 99 RL.. I allready have the cluster out and I know there is 10 of them.. and the bulbs have a light blue clear sock on them.. I went to the parts store to find something that would fit in the green socket firm and snug no luck on that.. And yes I know the dealer has them HONDA part # 78181-SZ3-003 around $8. each. Which for some reason they dont stock a full set?. I just dont want to pay $87.00w/tax for 10 small bulbs... Any cheap ideas? I thought about a blue LED diode and sink it in the socket but I only could find 5volt LEDs at radio shack and dont know if the dash bulbs step down to 5 volts and will the dimmer cause a problem on the circuit. But any links,site or comments would be appreciated. Barzied@aol.com
barzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-06, 04:58 AM   #14
Fresh Azimiz

Car 1: 1998 Acura 3.5RL SE
Car 2: 2004 Acura 3.5RL
Quote:
Originally Posted by barzied View Post
Did anyone ever find a replacement bulb for the instrument cluster on a 99 RL.. I allready have the cluster out and I know there is 10 of them.. and the bulbs have a light blue clear sock on them.. I went to the parts store to find something that would fit in the green socket firm and snug no luck on that.. And yes I know the dealer has them HONDA part # 78181-SZ3-003 around $8. each. Which for some reason they dont stock a full set?. I just dont want to pay $87.00w/tax for 10 small bulbs... Any cheap ideas? I thought about a blue LED diode and sink it in the socket but I only could find 5volt LEDs at radio shack and dont know if the dash bulbs step down to 5 volts and will the dimmer cause a problem on the circuit. But any links,site or comments would be appreciated. Barzied@aol.com
#74 bulbs for the instrument cluster.

go to www.superbrightleds.com and check them out.
Old 11-23-06, 01:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzied View Post
Dear All;
some information for your reference~
1. Local Honda dealer( no Acura brand in Taiwan) charge us US$2.8/ea for the blubs.
2. It's brighter then the after market T6.5( as know #74) bulbs bought at RadioShock shop.
3.You may find this spec. at other dealer shop since I ever bought OSRAM T6.5 bulbs before, however, Honda/Acura is still better then OSRAM.
4. I ever try to use LED bulb(12V) to replace all these 10 bulbs, however, ithe result is far from 04" speedameter. so, I replace all with normal Honda bulbs.
5.Yes, you have to remove center counsol, remove the speedameter module out, remove the speed/RPM gauge.... kind of not easy, but, still not so hard if Acura dealer charge sky high, in here, Honda dealer charge NT$40 for labor, but, I still wanna enjoy the feeling od DIY.
I will try to write a SOP with some pictures for your reference.
Best regards~
SJSU95132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL