Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL

1st Gen RL Forum for the 1996-2004 Acura RL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-07, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura 1998 3.5RL
How to remove radio non nav 1998 RL?

Hi,
Anybody know where I can find info on removing the radio from a 1998 3.5RL? I want to install an iPod audio adapter. Pain in the neck, but it has to be done.
There is a site which sells the plans and I don't mind paying the $7.00, but I do have major issues with ever giving my cc to PayPal payment systems, so that's why I am now asking here.

-Bob
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-07, 02:56 AM   #2
Fresh Azimiz

Car 1: 1998 Acura 3.5RL SE
Car 2: 2004 Acura 3.5RL
-remove the bezel around the shifter
-remove the woodgrain by pulling it..its just held in by clips
-remove the center air vents
-the radio and a/c unit are held in place by 4 screws 10mm i think...2 at the top and 2 at the bottom
Old 12-03-07, 01:27 PM   #3

Radio removal 1998 3.5 RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91sedan View Post
-remove the bezel around the shifter
-remove the woodgrain by pulling it..its just held in by clips
-remove the center air vents
-the radio and a/c unit are held in place by 4 screws 10mm i think...2 at the top and 2 at the bottom
Thank you, that's a great overview. What tools do I need to remove the bezel and the center air vents? The bezel is the black plastic piece (I'm out of town at the moment, so car is not in front of me)? I don't want to damage anything.

-Bob
BobCov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 10:53 AM   #4
Fresh Azimiz

you can just pull the bezel around the shifter up with your fingers. it's held in by clips too.

to remove the center air vents i recommend a small screwdriver that you can stick between the vents and the radio/ac unit to unhook the tabs that keep the center air vent in the center stack.
Old 12-05-07, 04:04 PM   #5

Quote:
you can just pull the bezel around the shifter up with your fingers. it's held in by clips too.

to remove the center air vents i recommend a small screwdriver that you can stick between the vents and the radio/ac unit to unhook the tabs that keep the center air vent in the center stack.
Came up very nicely, next question is how can I disconnect the seat heater cables and the cig lighter plugs to take the woodgrain and shift bezel out? Or do I need to do that?

The plastic part above the wood grain, does that pull out too?

Thanks much for the help.
Old 12-05-07, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:

The previous post needs updating... I wasn't looking at the right part of the connector, but once I did, it was very easy to disconnect the wiring and remove the parts I asked about.

Removed the bottom two screws, but now I'm trying to get that air conditioning vent out without breaking or marring anything. I'm afraid that if I pull it too hard, something will break. Does it just pop right out?
Old 12-05-07, 06:03 PM   #7
Fresh Azimiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCov View Post
The previous post needs updating... I wasn't looking at the right part of the connector, but once I did, it was very easy to disconnect the wiring and remove the parts I asked about.

Removed the bottom two screws, but now I'm trying to get that air conditioning vent out without breaking or marring anything. I'm afraid that if I pull it too hard, something will break. Does it just pop right out?
if it helps any there are three tabs located in the center of each of the three vents. u can pry those upwards to loosen the vent and then pull it towards you gently with the flathead screwdriver and it should slide right out.
Old 12-06-07, 01:24 PM   #8

Pried it up and got the three tabs, but the unit did not slide out. I got it maybe 1/4 inch out on the bottom on one side, and part of the middle, but I won't use excessive force for fear of breaking something. I have a printout from a car manual given to me by my mechanic, but the fax is pretty blurry and it still isn't clear to me what is holding it in. It should pull straight back? Not happening.
Old 12-06-07, 04:06 PM   #9

Latest: Got it out, but two of the clips broke and I have to epoxy them back on. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the P.I.E. Hon-Aux interface did not conform to the documentation purporting to describe the installation for the RL. BIG problem is that they made the connector so that it fits upside down. The cable points the wrong way, making proper placement impossible.

Next project: install it in the trunk on the end of the CD changer cable. This leads to my next question...How do you get to the CD changer connections? It's totally covered in carpet. Any ideas? And thanks for all of your help and patience. Much appreciated.
Old 12-10-07, 11:57 PM   #10
Fresh Azimiz

that sleeve that surrounds the cd changer can be removed
Old 05-10-11, 06:33 PM   #11

My Mood: Crappy
hi, i wish one of you guys can help me with my car. i have 1998 acura 3.5rl with Navi system. i need to get the radio serial number which might under the radio system. may i know if the Navi 3.5rl is the same procedure like the conversation on top? please help. thanks
bennysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL