Acura World banner

Life Expectancy...

30K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Joelseff 
#1 ·
Any idea what the life expectancy of the RL is... before things majorly start going wrong.. costing a bundle to fix??! I just hit 110k miles today on my 98 RL Special Edition, and I am a bit worried of things to come. 8k miles ago it had an engine light on, and 500 bucks later it was fixed. (I was told something up near the radiator had melted) and then 2k miles later, it was the routine timing belt/water pump etc... for a hefty 950 bucks. Now it is my rear window regulator, which I plan on doing myself to save a couple hundred bucks instead of the 450 I was quoted. Is there anything else that is prone to happen? In all honesty, I love this car to death and plan on keeping it to at least 150k miles (another year and a half or so...) but not if its gonna start having things happen to it!! I work part time and go to school full time.. so I cannot afford to many hefty repair bills. The gf thinks I should ditch it and get something smaller and newer.. ahhh feels like I am in such a bind!

Anyhow, any high miler RL owners out there? :uhh:

#2 ·
I got a 97 RL and had to change all four struts, and both front and rear upper control arms. That, in itself, cost me well over a thousand bucks in just parts. Not sure, though, if this is the norm on RLs. If it is a single owner car, driven with care, I doubt if either of these things would go bad before 150K or probably more. Mine had only 106K on it.

#3 ·
I have had the car for about 2 1/2 years now. Got it with 50k miles on it. It just need brakes right away. Anyhow I live in So Cali, and plan on movin to Cleveland, Ohio for school in about 6 months (it snows there so it has me even more worried with such crappy weather to add to the probs...)

Jeeez, I was just browsin the CL forum... possibly interested in gettin one of those if I down grade.. seems like those have some gnarly tranny probs. Ahh what to do.. what to do.

#4 ·
I would stay CLEAR from an Acura CL ! I traded mine for a 04 RL cause the TRANNY took a dump after 78,000 precious California miles.....(I didn't abuse the car and took it to the same dealership "by the book" and it still crapped out on me)......not to mention the notorious WARPED rotors every 15,ooo miles, SRS modules that went bad and NOT covered by warranty......Actuator went bad TWICE (a nightmare to convince stearlship about this unknown problem)............and the grand finale: RESALE SUCKS ON THIS MODEL !!!!!!!!!!!
Get my drift ?

#5 ·
the rl is the same as the old legend, and they are good cars. those legend last up to 300k. most people post on this forum when they experience a problem, so reading the forum here would not be an indication how good/bad the rl is.

just for fun, here is an rl that has 270k link

#6 ·
I've just passed 110K. Only problem so far are the brakes, window regulators (left rear and driver) and check engine light came on. I know its a service issue. I just have to scrape up some cash.

#7 ·
I have 131,000 (and some change) on my 97 and have had almost no problems. I got it with 45,000. The only things that have gone on mine are brakes, and rotors. I had the timing belt and water pump done about 4 months ago and everything is gravy. My rear driverside window is starting to take a shit now, but other than that it's golden. The mechanic at the Acura garage bought my 92 Legend when I traded it in, and he has over 300K on it. If you beat the nuts off of it, you'll run into some issues. If you drive it and maintain it, you shouldn't have a wealth of problems.

#8 ·
I just bought a 97 RL with 97K on it. My rear driver side window has taken a $#!T as you eloquently put it :mhihi: and I am about to take it in for a timing belt change in a bout a month or so. I have talked to many owners of RL's before I bought this one and I have hardly heard of any major probleemos 'cept for the Brake thing and window regulators. I plan to own this for another year or two (i put about 7,000 miles a month for work) and get a Used Lexus GS to replace. Unless this one still runs like a champ and still has the looks, then I might just keep it till it starts to disintegrate.

#10 ·
I Saw It On the Web

No, he makes deliveries (in lieu of th Shuttle) to the International Space Station. Three trips a month and he's there (7k). Like I said, "I saw a picture of it on the web ....somewhere....late ....one night....after.....a few...um... :wired: bunch of Red Stripes."

#11 ·

I have 195 k on my '96 RL. Recently had the brakes done all around, the upper ball joints, and the CV boots. $1100 for all. Haven't had any really serious problems yet. The car goes 80 MPH and gets 22 MPG as it has since I got it with 48k on it in 2000. Insurance is not as expensive as it was earlier. I am hoping for 250k.

BTW, replaced the Michelins I had with Bridgestone Turanzas and it handles better....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.