OBD Code 1768 - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL

1st Gen RL Forum for the 1996-2004 Acura RL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-09, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 98 RL
OBD Code 1768

My transmission stuck in D4 (D4 flashes) and the check eng light came on. The code reader says code 1768 was recorded. I looked it up and it says it is some sort of transaxel problem.

Anyone had this one? Can I just remove and replace a black box?

Last edited by Mike734; 07-08-09 at 03:35 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-09, 07:32 AM   #2
2000RL

Car 1: 2000 RL
Car 2: 1985 RX-7GSL-SE
That code identifies a bad linear solenoid. You either have a wiring problem between the PCM and the linear solenoid or the solenoid is bad.
2000RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000RL View Post
That code identifies a bad linear solenoid. You either have a wiring problem between the PCM and the linear solenoid or the solenoid is bad.
Since this problem only happens once a month or so, can I assume it is a wiring problem? Except when it does happen the tranny is actually stuck in 4th gear. I have to reset the codes to get the car to drive normally again.

I look through the manual but found it seems I have to partially disassemble the tranny to get to the linear solenoid. Do any of you know this problem and have a quick way to check the wiring or change the solenoid?
Mike734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 03:42 PM   #4

I had Acura replace the linear solenoid. They replaced the shift solenoids instead but since I asked them to save the parts I was able to see the mistake so they kept the car for another day and replaced the correct solenoid. One day later the problem happened again. I guess that means a wiring problem. Hopefully it is under warranty now and they will fix it for free.

I'll report later. Hopefully they will not try to sell me a new PCM computer. If they do, does anyone know where to get a used one cheap?

Last edited by Mike734; 10-26-09 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Context
Old 09-04-09, 12:28 PM   #5

Well if failed again. Now what? They want to keep the car for diagnostics. The mechanic drove it home last night waiting for the failure to happen. No luck. In the mean time I'm driving a brand new TL but I miss my car.

They think there is a wiring problem but don't know how they are going to find it. I can't find any TSB about this problem. Anyone else know about previous problems for the 98 RLs?
Old 10-26-09, 01:58 PM   #6

FOLLOW UP

The mechanic drove it home poked and prodded at every wire connection and could not find anything amiss. I've had the car for several hundred miles now with no problem. I guess he did something. I've got lots of new fluid and all new solenoids so I feel like it should last a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL