Acura World banner

Removing wheel studs_2002 Acura RL

2K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  beltlinech 
#1 ·
Well, I almost got there. Needed to replace a wheel stud on front hub. Pulled the rotor, tried hammering out the broken stud, but it hammered out until the stud head hit the back plate (dust shield).

The dust shield holder (don't know what it's called) looks like it has three screws. But, I'm unsure, really, how to to get the dust shield out of the way. Do I need to remove the axel spindle nut and pull that whole mess off?

#3 ·
Well, since no one has responded, I will bump this by providing a little more info. About 9 years ago, as I was about to replace the rotors and brake pads on this vehicle, I talked to my brother in law. He was in the cryo-treating business. I talked to him, had him buy some rotors and brake pads for the Acura. He shipped them to me and I installed them.

Well, here we are. When I pulled off those cryo pads this weekend, they definitely needed to be replaced, but still had some life on them. That was about 150,000 miles ago - possibly more. No brake dust. Absolutely none on the rims over those years. But it still stopped incredibly well.

I will pull of the back pads next weekend and see how they fared. Probably proportionately in relation to the fronts, but I will change them anyway to match the fronts. The new ones are not cryo.

Gotta tell you. I think cryo-treating can make a big difference.

Now, can anyone answer my second original question: Is it really a big pain to take off the axel nut thingamajig as Eric the Car Guy mentioned????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.