Resetting SRS Light DIY - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL

1st Gen RL Forum for the 1996-2004 Acura RL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-05, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
00 RL | 95 Legend (RIP)

Resetting SRS Light DIY

My SRS light came on after i removed my gauge cluster and I have a friend who works at acura and he gave me instructions on how to reset it myself.
I can't believe they charge 30 bucks for this. Well here is the info for those who need it. I would scan the document but i don't have access to a scanner right now.

Notice that it says to use a SCS service connector, but a jumper wire should suffice. And the MES connector that needs to be jumped is a Yellow Plug that is under the dash cover. It just hangs when u remove the dash cover.

To erase the DTC(s) from the SRS unit, use a Honda PGM Tester (see the Honda PGM tester SRS vehicle system Supplement or the following procedure.

1. Make sure the ignition switch is OFF.

2. Connect the SCS service connector to the MES connector (2P). Do not use a jumper wire.

3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II)

4. The SRS indicator light comes on for about 6 seconds and goes off. Remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds after the SRS indicator light went off.

5. The SRS indicator light comes on again. Reconnect the SCS service connector to the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds after the SRS indicator light comes on.

6. The SRS indicator light goes off. Remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds.

7. The SRS indicator light indicates that the memory is erased by blinking two times.

8. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait for 10-seconds.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-05, 10:01 PM   #2

Needs to be stickied
clune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 02:19 AM   #3
Fresh Azimiz

Car 1: 1998 Acura 3.5RL SE
Car 2: 2004 Acura 3.5RL
damn dude i echo your feelings on that one. 30 bucks for that?
Old 06-14-05, 09:32 AM   #4

Car 1: 1986 Mazda B2000
Car 2: 1997 Mazda 626
Car 3: 1996 Acura TL 2.5
You do not need that MES connector. All you need to do is jumper the 2 wires at the yellow connector. My alternator took a crap and the battery voltage dropped low so my srs light came on and didn't go back out. All I did was perform the procedure above but used a paper clip and it worked fine.
pramanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 10:27 PM   #5

Car 1: 2000 RL
Car 2: 2006 Explorer EB
Car 3: Not a car....2000 ZRX1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramanis
All you need to do is jumper the 2 wires at the yellow connector.........used a paper clip and it worked fine.
That's scary but do-able
ZRXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-05, 10:46 PM   #6

Car 1: Acura RL 2000
Car 2: Honda CRV 2000
Car 3: V Star Classic 2000
Where is the Yellow Plug that need to be jumped? can you attache some pics - thank you.

JB
2kstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-05, 08:58 AM   #7

My Mood: Blah
Imaginasian
Thanks for the instructions. Did my SRS light yesterday 9/18/2005,

Regards,
JDLTAY2
jdltay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 10:17 AM   #8

Car 1: 2000 RL w/NAVI
Car 2: 2002 HONDA CBR 954
PLEASE HELP

i looked in the fuse panel on the left under the steering wheel and i dont see a yellow connector.
my srs light is on in my 2000 rl w/navi and i'm trying to reset it
MeanFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 08:42 AM   #9

Car 1: Acura RL 2000
Car 2: Honda CRV 2000
Car 3: V Star Classic 2000
I am in the same boat as "MeanFace" - I cannot find the bloody connector. So More research and I found it - Use a small mirror to look at the backside of the knee bolster (bottom edge of the lower dash) on the driverís side (about half-way between the steering column and the hood release - it's tacked in so look again if not found) to locate a small yellow plug that appears to be plugged into the back of the bolster. The wires leading to it are wrapped in a yellow covering. The plug is not actually plugged into anything; itís there solely for this reset procedure. Carefully unhook it from the mounting by squeezing or pushing in on the opaque white tab on the bottom until the yellow plug pops up and free of the mount.

The plug has a small yellow cover on it that is removed by squeezing the tab. Youíll see two small contacts at the end of the plug. Bend a small piece of light gauge wire into a U-shape to use for connecting or jumping the two contacts. and use the above process - it works, and it'll make you feel good; you just saved $75.00 (pat yourself on the shoulder J)

JB

Last edited by 2kstar; 12-16-05 at 09:30 AM.
2kstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-05, 05:04 PM   #10

Car 1: 2000 RL w/NAVI
Car 2: 2002 HONDA CBR 954
Thumbs up

I FINALLY DID IT !!! it took about three attempts but, i finally got my srs light off. THANK'S ALOT
MeanFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-05, 11:12 AM   #11

Car 1: 95 nissan 200sx
Car 2: 95 ford ranger
Car 3: 03 acura tl-s
You know what's funny? The way to get the SRS light off in a 2000 Nissan Altima. You have to turn the ignition swith to on then you have to push the dome light switch in the door 7 times within like 2 seconds to get it to turn off. This is no lie, my roommate has an altima and after a few beers and some forum searching, we found it. Then after a few more beers we fixed the problem and then laughed our asses off. What was Nissan thinking?
Old 03-01-06, 10:37 AM   #12

Car 1: 2008 TSX
Car 2: 2003 MDX
Car 3: 1996 Accord
I did it too. Easy once you get the plug out. I discovered a shortcut to assist in making this a little less painful.

Instead of going up from the bottom to get to the plug and detaching it go from the "middle". If you pry off the Knee bolster carpeted cover from the steering wheel to the door so that it hangs down a bit, the Yellow taped wires and plugs are right there. Once you have that, you simply press the tab on the top to release the wire. No need to detach the entire plug assembly from the bolster. This way also holds the connector up higher.

Perform the procedure, click the plug into the holder, snap the Knee bolster back and you are done.
RedRLMDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-06, 05:53 PM   #13

2 bad u didn't live closer... u could of came over n fixed mine 4 me ...LoL
melisstrusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 07:12 PM   #14

My SRS light came on last Sunday. I've reset it but it comes on again. Do anyone know how to retreive the SRS code?
sycchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 04:50 PM   #15

Anyone have any pics of the connector? I searched for it and could not see it. I have a 03 3.2TL Type S.

Thanks
chernioglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL