Acura World banner

Temp gauge not working coming down Mtn Pass

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  vtech92 
#1 ·
Coming down from 2 passes in CO the other day, and my temperature gauge went all the way to cold (like I just started it). A little after
leveling out and using the throttle again the gauge would slowly begin to creep back up to near normal operating temp. It was not extremely
cold out around 34 deg F.

Any ideas? The coolant fluid in the bottle is at the normal level.

1998 RL 176k miles..
thanks...

#3 ·
Hey flymaninc, Im new to this forum. I have been on other forums but I strongly believe you have a faulty thermostat. I just had similar problems recently and replaced my thermostat. My 98 Acura RL would take forever to reach operating temp. Then when it finally reached it I would notice the temp would dip if i came down a hill and was not on the throttle. I think this was due to the thermostat being open and the wind blowing through the radiator and actually cooling the motor down too much. I just it this weekend and WOW the best $20 I have spent on the car. Warms up in minutes and actually notice an increase in performance. By the way I have 183,000 miles.

#6 ·
Hello everyone, I'm brand new to this forum and I am at an impass while trying to replace the thermostat on my Acura TLS. Does anyone know how to DIY replace the thermostat in an '02 TL-S or know of a link to the DIY? I Googled it and 1 post came back that was not helpful at all. I have the radiator drained, hoses, intake hose and throttle body removed so I need to resolve this quickly bc it's been overheating really bad. The post I found said that it's where the top radiator hose meets the engine, behind the aluminum elbow, but looking at the size of the tstat and the size of where it says it is, it looks way to big to fit inside that housing, but the bottom hose housing looks the right size, but the back-bottom bolt or nut is nearly impossible to get to. So that's where I'm stuck, any help from you guys would be extremely appreciated! Thanks guy's!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.