VSR Light on - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL

1st Gen RL Forum for the 1996-2004 Acura RL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-06, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

VSR Light on

The red brake light comes on for a second and then goes off. Then the VSR and lights come on and stay on until the engine is restarted. It takes another sudden and abrupt use of the brakes for the lights to come back on.

I've read the few posts regarding VSR lights. I'm wondering since the brake light comes on, if only for a second, if this is due to the front brakes being worn and needing to be replaced or if it really in an abs system component and/or vsr sensor of some sort.

If it happens to be a VSR sensor, is this something that is easily accessible to me that I can replace?

Just wondering. This is something that has been happening for about a month now.

Thanks for your input and thoughts.
DVD Navigation
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-06, 01:31 PM   #2
jinny=guy, avatar=girl
Supporting Member

Car 1: NaplesGoldMetallicRL
*VSA

how's your brake fluid levels?
Old 09-12-06, 12:40 PM   #3

Car 1: 2002 acura 3.5rl
Car 2: 2002 Lexus RX 300
Car 3: 2004 Acura TL Black
I agree with Jinny. Fluid level will be the first thing to check. It is also a good thing to replace brake fluid every 3 years, since it absorbs moisture and can affect ABS system performance. VSA light can be visible indication of some OBDII code actual or pending. Use of the code scanner may explain this light as well. i have also heard about faulty VSA off switch. Worth looking into this. Good Luck
zalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 03:13 PM   #4

I was able to check the brake fluid level and it is well above the "MIN" mark. However, it is not completely full. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I also checked the VSR fuse under the hood and there was nothing wrong with the fuse.

I've recently connected the OBDII computer due to the CEL being on but the only code I got was the P0145 emissions control bla bla bla. Granted the VSR lights weren't on while I was using the computer. It would be hard to check it with the computer because once the car is turned off, the lights are reset and don't come back on until the car is on and I really punch the gas to speed up.

I should correct my initial statement. These lights come on when I really give it some gas like speeding up to get on the freeway. I think it's a little odd that those lights come on then when the brakes aren't even being used.

How would I find out about whether or not the VSA off switch is faulty? Any ideas as to how much it would cost to fix something like that?

Also, regarding the emissions control bla bla bla, Do you think if I replaced the air filters, this could solve the CEL problem, P0145?

Thanks guys!
DVD Navigation

Last edited by JohnRyan; 09-22-06 at 12:07 PM.
JohnRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-06, 01:03 PM   #5

Car 1: 2002 acura 3.5rl
Car 2: 2002 Lexus RX 300
Car 3: 2004 Acura TL Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyan View Post
I was able to check the brake fluid level and it is well above the "MIN" mark. However, it is not completely full. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I also checked the VSR fuse under the hood and there was nothing wrong with the fuse.

I've recently connected the OBDII computer due to the CEL being on but the only code I got was the P0145 emissions control bla bla bla. Granted the VSR lights weren't on while I was using the computer. It would be hard to check it with the computer because once the car is turned off, the lights are reset and don't come back on until the car is on and I really punch the gas to speed up.

I should correct my initial statement. These lights come on when I really give it some gas like speeding up to get on the freeway. I think it's a little odd that those lights come on then when the brakes aren't even being used.

How would I find out about whether or not the VSA off switch is faulty? Any ideas as to how much it would cost to fix something like that?

Also, regarding the emissions control bla bla bla, Do you think if I replaced the air filters, this could solve the CEL problem, P0145?

Thanks guys!
Sometime car manufacturer, especially japanese use VSC light as secondary to the check engine light. Same happened on my Lexus once. If you are getting emission code then it could be that you have vapor recovery system issue. I would check with dealership and TB. Most of the vehicle in US emission/vapor systems guaranteed 10years or 120Kmi. You may have bad gas tank cap or if you have a tendency to "top off" you fuel tank carbon canister can be oversaturated. This is worth checking and replacing if it falls under warranty. So VSC light may have nothing to do with your trouble code.
Good Luck.
Old 09-25-06, 02:00 PM   #6

I will definitely check into the TSB and emissions situation. Thanks for your insight!
DVD Navigation
Old 03-15-07, 11:47 AM   #7

Follow up:
Praises to jinny! Me, being the silly fool that I can be, thought those stupid lights couldn't possibly be on because my brake fluid levels were a little low.

I drove around with the VSA and on forever! The last time I took it to the dealer for an oil change and had them give me their thoughts. They said the brakes were worn and that I needed brake fluid. I took my car home and replaced the brakes. The brakes were worn but they still had some good meat on them. Oh well, new ceramic brakes now! The lights went off for about a week then came back on. I checked the brake fluid and while it was well over the MIN line, it wasn't at the MAX line. I added brake fluid and the lights haven't come back on since.

Totally thought it was stupid that the lights would come on because the brake fluid was just a little low...BUT that appears to be what the problem was. MY BAD!T

he CEL had since gone off for whatever reason several months ago. However, the little bastard came back on. Whatever! Now I need to go AutoZone a OBDI and check the light again.

Thank you all for your help!
DVD Navigation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 1st Gen RL