Engine Whining Noise Resolved - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > CSX / EL

CSX / EL Forum related to the Canadian Acura EL and the all new Acura CSX!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-05, 05:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 2004 Acura EL
Car 2: 2000 Lexus ES300
Engine Whining Noise Resolved

So After 2 years of talking and arguing with Acura in Markham, they finally decided to LOOK at my car (4 visits there in between), and finally isolated what the component causing the whining noise from the engine is (I have posted in the forum before - the high frequency croaking noise). It turns out to be a defective power steering pump, which was quite evident because once the steering wheel is moved the whining noise changes. This was clearly a manufacturer defect because I heard the sound on the first day I got the car.

I think this would be good information because I remember some owners of 1.7EL had that high-frequency whining noise before. What worries me is that two of the cars the dealership tested had that problem too, so I'm wondering if this is a mass defect to steering pumps in ELs/Civics.

I'm still waiting for Acura to finish the repairs and see if the whining noise goes away. BUt from the symptoms I've read about power steering pumps it sounds like it is the problem.

I personally will never buy from Acura in Markham again. I am pretty confidient that they knew what the problem was because all it took was 10 minutes for the guy looking at my car to identify the problem. If they actually took the time to diagnose the car then they would've solved this problem during the first check. They delayed it 2 years and made tons of excuses in the meantime, as well as poor customer services and poor attitudes displayed by the customer service reps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-05, 10:06 AM   #2

Car 1: 2006 CSX Premium
Car 2: 2008 Civic EX-L
I'm trying to figure out what noise you are talking about. I know that when we turn off our car, if you listen you can hear a whistle or a squeak like noise. It's about 3 seconds long. It also does that noise if you have the car in full accessory mode (basically everything but the engine running). We had an EL loaner car (same model year) and it did the same thing so I'm assuming it's not a problem, or if it is, it's not a big thing. Is this the same thing that you are referring to?
04 EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 10:46 AM   #3
NO MORE DIALYSIS
Supporting Member

Car 1: 2006 TSX w/Navi
Unusual, I don't hear that sound on my car. The only time I hear an extended noise after I turn of the car is if I had just turned the A/C off. It sounds like the the compressor "decompressing" (for lack of a better word), which would be normal of you had just turned the A/C off before turning the car engine off.

Never knew about the power steering noise, and never had it myself. I will Sticky this, in case others are encountering the same noise.

M.Y.C. (05/06/74 - 12/13/04)
RiceBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 03:54 PM   #4

nope it doesn't have anything to do with the A/C or fans

the noise is kinda distinct, its like a high frequency croaking noise when you car is in low rpm, such as when you're idling the car at a red light. when you press on the gas and rev, it doesn't really go away but the engine noise tones it out. i wished i had a sound clip of it because its very hard to describe.
Old 12-30-05, 10:45 AM   #5

update on the problem,
well it seems like it still hasn't been fixed. they found that the steering pump is indeed defective, as they found some air bubbles in there meaning there is an air leak.

the noise seemed to have disappear when the steering wheel is at the centre position but once it is turned right or left the noise appears again

they said they're consulting Honda Engineering for this problem... hopefully its not a recall of cars that use D17A2 on their part
Old 02-14-06, 01:47 PM   #6

Car 1: 2006 Acura CSX
Did they replace the PS pump though?

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../496711_81.jpg

FRIENDSHIP IS LIKE PISSING YOUR PANTS, EVERYONE CAN SEE IT, BUT ONLY YOU CAN FEEL ITS TRUE WARMTH
BlueCSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 12:07 PM   #7

they have replaced the pump

the problem was finally solved (at least I don't hear any noise for prolonged period for now) when they found a hole inside one of the pipes (i believe either intake or exhaust pipes). They havn't mailed the invoice yet so I don't know the full detail of the work (4 months and still no invoice on the repairs).

I'll post again when I get the full detail on the repairs.
Old 07-10-08, 02:40 PM   #8

Whining noise on acceleration - Acure 1.7 EL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC15 View Post
So After 2 years of talking and arguing with Acura in Markham, they finally decided to LOOK at my car (4 visits there in between), and finally isolated what the component causing the whining noise from the engine is (I have posted in the forum before - the high frequency croaking noise). It turns out to be a defective power steering pump, which was quite evident because once the steering wheel is moved the whining noise changes. This was clearly a manufacturer defect because I heard the sound on the first day I got the car.

I think this would be good information because I remember some owners of 1.7EL had that high-frequency whining noise before. What worries me is that two of the cars the dealership tested had that problem too, so I'm wondering if this is a mass defect to steering pumps in ELs/Civics.

I'm still waiting for Acura to finish the repairs and see if the whining noise goes away. BUt from the symptoms I've read about power steering pumps it sounds like it is the problem.

I personally will never buy from Acura in Markham again. I am pretty confidient that they knew what the problem was because all it took was 10 minutes for the guy looking at my car to identify the problem. If they actually took the time to diagnose the car then they would've solved this problem during the first check. They delayed it 2 years and made tons of excuses in the meantime, as well as poor customer services and poor attitudes displayed by the customer service reps.
I have a 2002 Acura 1.7 EL and have been getting whining noise for the past six months. Worse on accelerating. Silicon spray on the belt did not help. The technician at Burrard Acura in Vancouver says it is timing belt and I should replace it at the cost of $1100.
jamessmith1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > CSX / EL