ANOTHER TRANNY PROB.... TROUBLE CODE???? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL

2nd Gen TL Forum specific to the Acura TL, 1999-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-09, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Proud ACURA Owner

Car 1: Pontiac 6000 -87
Car 2: Acura TL Type-S -02
Car 3: Kawasaki Ninja (Bike) -08
Exclamation ANOTHER TRANNY PROB.... TROUBLE CODE????

Hi all!

I was recently driving my car like any other day when i hit a bump and my dashboard turn off the Check Engine light i tought oh hell

When i go check out the code on my Simple OBDII reader it says "P0740"
some research came out with "Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction "
something electrical i presume the guy at autozone check out that code on its computer and says that "TCC solenoid" went wrong i dunno why i was driving pretty nice all the week just when i hit that single, not so deep bump the light came out quick as fast as my sight look at the dashboard after the bump. I havent seen or feel anything different so i dont now what sympthoms im looking for? my car drive likes nothing had happenend but that light still is ON all the times and it only has that code every time i check it.

its this an electrical failure or the TCC actually can scrap with a single bump???

I actually open the hood to check out all the wiring but everything was nice all pretty fit not a single wangle or misconection. Now if its a TCC Solenoid failure and not electrical how much are we talking about?? its Expensive or can be done without taking out the whole tranny cuz i was going to do another expenses this holidays and my Tranny wasnt on my list

Last edited by Skirmich; 11-18-09 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Sorry for the Hi-Caps header i wasnt checking my keyboard
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-09, 01:53 AM   #2

Car 1: ACURA TL 2000
I am going through this identical issue minus the "bump" causing light to go on. My TCS light and check engine light went on together and after shutting the engine down and restarting only the engine light stayed on.

I haven't noticed any change in the feel of the car. Perfectly smooth. Not sure what to do because the recommendation from my mechanic who went to the dealer to buy the two valves in the procedure list for replacement was to replace the transmission.

I have to drive out of the country to MExico and it's about 1k there so I am pretty concerned of running into issues on the way.

Any advice?
rugulach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 09:46 PM   #3

Car 1: 3000GT
Car 2: RSX-S
Car 3: TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugulach View Post
I am going through this identical issue minus the "bump" causing light to go on. My TCS light and check engine light went on together and after shutting the engine down and restarting only the engine light stayed on.

I haven't noticed any change in the feel of the car. Perfectly smooth. Not sure what to do because the recommendation from my mechanic who went to the dealer to buy the two valves in the procedure list for replacement was to replace the transmission.

I have to drive out of the country to MExico and it's about 1k there so I am pretty concerned of running into issues on the way.

Any advice?
Same thing happen to me today. Let me know if you fix it without replacing the transmission.
2005DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 11:54 PM   #4

Car 1: Black 2007 Type S
i was on a test drive and had a this type S just coast into the curb and stop. It would not go move into any gear. I put it in park and it didn't lock it into place I had to put the Ebrake on to keep it from backing up. WT.... is this the tranny?
Ebonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 09:25 PM   #5

Car 1: acura tl
hello, i have a 1999 acura 3.2 tl and the transmission is slipping, a mechanic told me that the linear solenoid needs to be replaced.

should i change the transmission fluid first or clean the linear solenoid?
how do i clean the linear solenoid?

and how are you guys checking the codes?
nkafeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 01:33 AM   #6
**** Whore
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Mood: Bored

Car 1: 99 3.2TL-P 6MT
Car 2: 98 Honda Prelude
Once these transmissions start to fail, there's really no repairing them. It's gonna cast as much to fix as it would to get a new one.

The OBD2 connector is under your coin tray that is under your CD player. You have to stick your fingers down by the heated seats switches and pop off the little plastic panel to get access.
I get the nut butter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdog
Hope that last batch of toilet paper I bought is industrial strength!!
6MTUA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 10:29 AM   #7

Car 1: 01 tl
Car 2: 98 Expedition
Transmission problems

FYI: anytime there is a problem with the transmission on these cars even if you cant tell the problem from driving it, It needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Unless it has just been done like within last 25k and even then most likely it needs to be replaced. The linear solenoid is expensive and only should be replaced if the trans is fresh. The problem with the transmission is the operating temp, that causes early failure of the torque converter. That causes the light to come on, its not the solenoid its the converter itself not holding. Sorry to be the one to spread the bad news but thats the way these cars work. Be prepair to spend 2k or more or end up with another trans problem very soon.
david01tl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 02:25 PM   #8

Car 1: Acura TLS
I had the same thing happen last week on my 2002 TL Type S. I brought it into the Acura dealer today and they gave me the engine code P0740. What makes this even more difficult, is that I had the tranny rebuilt in February 2011 after the original one failed at 157K miles. At the time Acura only offered a 1-year warranty on a new tranny, so I had Aamco repair it with a full lifetime warranty for less than 1/2 of a new tranny.

Now, the dealership and Aamco are pointing fingers as to what is really prompting the code. The car idles rough and after Acura looked at it this morning and after clearing the code, the car is now stauling at low idle. Aamco can't (won't) do anything until the check engine light comes on again so that they can test the codes. They also indicated that per their analysis, the MAF or throttle body may be the real issue.

Any ideas or advice? At this point, I'm thinking of trading out of Acura...
RSH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL

Tags
transmission failure