engine is jerking during the acceleration sometimes - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL

2nd Gen TL Forum specific to the Acura TL, 1999-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-06, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 2000 3.2TL, w/Navi
Car 2: 2000 BMW 323i
Question engine is jerking during the acceleration sometimes

About 1 year ago I had a problem with my 2000 TL (I had about 65,000 miles on it then) when the engine was jerking during the acceleration sometimes. Car electrician has checked with the scanner, which showed cylinders misfiring. I was advised to change the spark plugs. So I replaced them with the new original NGK plugs.

Now I have about 85,000 miles on TL and it started to do the same all over again, i.e. engine jerks on acceleration.
I've asked Acura dealership how long the spark plugs lasting before they needs to be replaced again; they said that the NGK originals are good for at least 60,000 miles.
I am using regular gas , so I thought may be injectors got dirty , hence I had used the fuel system cleaner one time, but it did not not solve the problem.
So it seems that something else is causing the engine to jerk on acceleration.
Can someone out here hint me on cause?
Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-06, 01:29 AM   #2

Car 1: 2002 3.2 TL Type S
I have a 2002 with 71,519 miles on it. I had the same thing happened when I bought it with around 47,000 miles on it. All I can say is beware of the transmission. I had the transmission fail on me in the middle of the interstate here in Georgia. The thing was jerking me so hard that is was not safe at all. Imagine doing about 65 or70 mph and all of a sudden the tranny goes into reverse. It felt like that repeatedly about 5 or 6 times. I had to get a remanufactured tranny.
eddieacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-06, 03:28 AM   #3

Car 1: 1972 Nova
Car 2: 2003 Acura TL
Car 3: 2004 Expedition
If you're not using a high octane fuel, then the stock plugs will foul early. Those plugs are rated 60,000 miles with the proper octane. Lower octane fuel also causes more misfires and those are also detrimental to plug life.
Darkness35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-06, 12:55 AM   #4

Car 1: '00 3.2TL
Lower octane will also cause you to get fuel and oil in your valve covers. Due to lower octane levels, your mixture will prematurely fire and/or misfire, sending oil and gas into your valvecovers and intake plenum. I ran regular gas for one month once and ended up paying $400 having new headgaskets put on. You can sponge out the liquid goo from your plenum by taking the plenum cover off, but be sure your motor is completely cold. Otherwise, your plenum-cover gasket will warp and mishape if you remove it when its hot because it will cool faster than the engine. Just throwing this out there. goodluck
adamlee05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 03:19 PM   #5

Car 1: '03 Acura 3.2 TL
Car 2: '98 Honda Civic
Car 3: '99 Honda Passport
Comin across this thread reminded me of a problem my tl has...not sure...but it doesnt jerk when accelerating. it only does this...knock when i put it in drive and immediately give it a lil gas.
just be on the safe side...ill put it in drive..wait for about 2 seconds...then give it gas.
is this the same problem?
CaptynJaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 07:20 PM   #6
No one Sucks

Car 1: 2005 acura tsx
Car 2: 2002 Acura TL-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptynJaneway
Comin across this thread reminded me of a problem my tl has...not sure...but it doesnt jerk when accelerating. it only does this...knock when i put it in drive and immediately give it a lil gas.
just be on the safe side...ill put it in drive..wait for about 2 seconds...then give it gas.
is this the same problem?
You should always wait for a few seconds after shifting into drive or reverse for the car to actually get into gear. The knock you are hearing is probably your tranny clunking while shifting under a heavy load.

And you should always run premium gas. It is worth it to pay $.20 more now per gallon than to have to pay more in labor and parts because of using lower grade fuel.
Old 07-29-06, 12:20 PM   #7

Car 1: 2006 Acura TL
Having a very similar problem as well (at 62K) it just has a very subtle cutting in and out during acceleration and i've noticed at constant speed you can feel the engine cut in and out very faintly.
Old 07-29-06, 03:24 PM   #8

Car 1: 2003 acura tl white
Car 2: 1999 acura tl black
possible diagnosis

Check your motormounts my 99 knocked when putting it gear. The problem was the motormount
bm03&99tl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-06, 01:55 AM   #9

Car 1: 99 Acura TL w/navi
Car 2: 04 Acura TL w/navi
I am far from an expert but it sounds like TL transmission curse.
Acurite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 04:31 AM   #10

thanks to all for your input...
since I've started to use 91 octane gas the jerking disapeared, I hope that there is no any damage caused by the regular gas.
yober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 02:36 PM   #11
No one Sucks

Car 1: 2005 acura tsx
Car 2: 2002 Acura TL-S
I would also run some fuel injector cleaner to get any gunk out of there. I prefer the Chevron brand fuel injector cleaner. It works pretty well.
Old 02-11-08, 02:58 AM   #12

Question trany replacement

The car jerking came back several months after my last posting here.
Lately in addition to this jerking some strange sounds started to appear. The sounds like crackle of a cardboard or plastic bag under the tires . I took it to mechanic. He drove tested and stated that between 3-rd and 4-th gear the trany disks slips.
I took my TL to another mechanic shop where they drive tested with the computer attached. The result - serious problem with the trany.
So I just bought 2 days ago used trany with 42K on it. Next week am taking my TL to mechanic to swap the trany.

I heard that there is a way to get from Honda compensation for the trany exchange. I would really appreciate some hints.
yober is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL