Acura World banner

Engine Stalls on Startup

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  janie1emerson@yah 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to these forums and did a search but couldn't find anything pertaining to my problem with my 99 Acura TL. My car is fully stock and lately it has been cooler but not cold (50-60F) and when I start the car after it has not been driven within an hour or so the engine stutters and sometimes stalls even when I have it in Park. If it doesn't stall, it idles around 500rpm and makes the car shake.

The interesting thing is that if I pump the gas pedal twice before I turn it on, I don't have any problems. I don't think this is normal so if I could get a few opinions on what to do that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!:)

#5 ·
It could also be that your fuel injection system needs to be cleaned. If there is a lot of gunk built up on the injectors they will not release the proper amount of fuel to get it started, but once it warms up the gunk loosens and fuel gets through a little bit better but still not properly. You can either buy the fuel additives and if that don't help then get it cleaned at your mechanic.

#7 · (Edited)
My 1999 Acura TL has been stalling while idling in park, going along road. Sometimes works fine other times stalls repeatedly. 1st I replaced fuel pump and strainer still no good. still continued to stall. Then had code for catalytic converter. When I replaced catalytic converter and all sensors that light went out. Didn't stall anymore and no check engine light. after a while light back on and started stalling again but code is P1457 now. Which is evap control systems leak detected (control canister system). Which I just read someone else replaced the charcoal canister and the valve that connects to it (shut valve). Also have seen that after replacing these things then new code came on and some fuel injectors were bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.