How to change acura 3.2tl transmission fluid? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL

2nd Gen TL Forum specific to the Acura TL, 1999-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-06, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 2002 acura TL type S
How to change acura 3.2tl transmission fluid?

Hi! Fellers,
Can someone give me an instruction on how to change the transmission fluid on my 2002 acura 3.2TL T-S automatic transmission? This is my 3rd tranny replaced under warranty.
Some say this tranny don't have filter?
Does it have drain plug, etc.?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Best regards,
Stephen H. Lee
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-06, 02:43 PM   #2
Tastes minty
Supporting Member

My Mood: Tired

Car 1: 09 BMW 328i E93
Car 2: 06 Honda Ridgeline w/navi
Car 3: 05 Acura MDX w/navi
It has a drain plug at the bottom and a fill cap at the top. The 'correct' way is to drain the fluid, add what you drained (about 3 quarts), drive the car in all gears, then do it two more times (called a 3X drain/fill). You can't drain all the fluid out because of how it is designed, so this is how the dealers do it--replacing about 9 quarts at a time. However, a lot of people just do the 1X drain/fill as preventative maintenance every 10K miles or so.

Refilling can be a bit trickier if you have the jet kit installed (part of the tranny recall), because now you have this cooling tube coming out of the refill cap in the tranny. The factory recommendation is to refill through the dipstick tube but that takes forever. You can still remove the filler cap and refill the tranny--you gotta make sure you reinstall the jet kit tube correctly when you're done.

Also, don't use anything else other than Honda Z1 tranny fluid either.

Matt
2005 BSM MDX w/navi
pianoman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-06, 09:23 PM   #3
Welcome Earthlings
Asteroids Champion

Car 1: 08 TL
Car 2: 2010 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman41 View Post

Refilling can be a bit trickier if you have the jet kit installed (part of the tranny recall), because now you have this cooling tube coming out of the refill cap in the tranny.
Anyone have any pictures of this cooling tube? I just had my tranny replaced under warranty and I'm curious to see if the new tranny as the cooler on it.
Old 11-21-06, 12:10 AM   #4
Tastes minty
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
Anyone have any pictures of this cooling tube? I just had my tranny replaced under warranty and I'm curious to see if the new tranny as the cooler on it.
You should have it then. On the old transmission, on the top center of the tranny (find the ABS pump relay box just behind the air filter box--go straight across towards the engine and look straight down in the opening--that's the tranny) is the refill cap. The old one is just a bolt that has the letters ATF on it. The new one has a bolt with a tube coming out of it. That is part of the jet kit.

Matt
2005 BSM MDX w/navi
Old 01-19-07, 02:36 PM   #5

Car 1: 2001 S2000
Car 2: 2003 TL
I bought a cheap plastic turkey baster for $1.99, removed the ruber ball on the end and then stuck a normal funnel inside it. It fits perfectly in the dipstick hole. It makes replacing the ATF very simple.
STWOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-07, 02:53 PM   #6

Car 1: 98 Acura Integra GS
Car 2: 89 Supra
Car 3: 98 Supra TT
This should help, I think.
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...202O00228A.pdf

Just make sure you have, Adobe Acrobat reader
integra_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-07, 03:37 PM   #7
Black 99TL

My Mood: Cynical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke7 View Post
Go to acurazine.com much better site. Join do a search. It's easy once you break loose the top filler screw. I change mine about every 10,000 miles to help keep it clean.
Changing the oil won't properly clean you tranny, you need to get it completely flushed becasue most of the old oil is still there.

http://www.allpar.com/eek/atf.html
MADCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-07, 07:25 PM   #8

Car 1: Acura 3.2TL
My new mechanic said that if the fluid is changed every 30K 40k the transmission should last longer, he pumps it out through the cooling line in front of the rad. Ile pay him the 150$ so save me the hastle, its 2 hours of work if u know what u are doing, an here is the pic for the plug and cooling line. I think someone posted this pic earlier, so credit goes to them.
Attached Images

THEFOREIGNKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 11:28 AM   #9
Supporting Member

Car 1: 2004 Black Evo VIII
The irony with the faulty trannies is changing the fluid stirrs up the crud that gets created from the excessive heat, and makes it fail sooner.

If you have the jet kit on your TL (the tranny recall service), it makes it more challenging for sure. I did my own on my 3.2 CL-S but paid the dealer to do all the other ones.

BTW - when acura "flushes" the tranny, all they do is fill it with fresh fluid, drive it a bit, drain it, and fill it again. They don't use any of the "flush" machines, according to a TSB I saw.

There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. Starting now.

"The greatest thing about tomorrow is, I will be better than I am today. That's the beauty of tomorrow. There is no such thing as a setback. The lessons I learn today I will apply tomorrow, and I will be better." --Tiger Woods

2004 Mitsubishi Evo VIII
Alpine CDA-9558
JL XR650-CSI (front)
JL XR650-CXI (rear)
JL 10w6v2 (bump)
Alpine MRP-M450 (bump louder)
Alpine MRP-F450 (front and rear amp)
autoxCLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 12:56 AM   #10
Tastes minty
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoxCLS View Post
The irony with the faulty trannies is changing the fluid stirrs up the crud that gets created from the excessive heat, and makes it fail sooner.

If you have the jet kit on your TL (the tranny recall service), it makes it more challenging for sure. I did my own on my 3.2 CL-S but paid the dealer to do all the other ones.

BTW - when acura "flushes" the tranny, all they do is fill it with fresh fluid, drive it a bit, drain it, and fill it again. They don't use any of the "flush" machines, according to a TSB I saw.
Correct. The dealer procedure is what is known as a "3X D&F" or draining and filling three times, with a short drive in between. It can be tougher with the jet kit, but an Acura tech I recently spoke with said you can just remove the small bracket bolt on the side that holds the tube in place and once the bracket is disconnected from the car, pull the tube straight out and fill through the hole. Then reverse it when you're done. That's how the techs do it (contrary to popular belief, they do *not* refill through the dipstick--it takes too long).

Matt
2005 BSM MDX w/navi
Old 01-25-07, 12:59 AM   #11
Tastes minty
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoxCLS View Post
Flush, maybe. Drain & fill, definitely not. Draining out of the bottom (and cleaning the magnetized plug) doesn't stir anything up. You're just draining from the pan, and adding from the top (which is where the jet kit dumps in fluid anyway).

Matt
2005 BSM MDX w/navi
Old 01-29-07, 05:50 PM   #12

Last year I had my tranny fluid changed at the dealer on a Friday. On the next Monday morning on the way to work it failed, blew up, whatever. The replacement tranny now does NOT have the jet kit on it.........so what should I do??? This tranny is the 4th in my car...........
4th Tranny in car
TL-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 02:02 PM   #13
Welcome Earthlings
Asteroids Champion

Car 1: 08 TL
Car 2: 2010 MDX
Interestingly enough, neither my original tranny, which died at 72K, nor my "new" tranny had\has the jet kit according to the pics above.

Old 02-03-07, 08:29 PM   #14

Car 1: Acura 3.2TL
Thats some wierd stuff, if they use rebuild transmissions, then the problem probly still exists, im gonna make sure my mech pulls out the cooling line before sending my core back. Not sure if they got the 2nd gear problem figured out so ile stay safe and keep my old jet kit handy.
THEFOREIGNKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 08:41 PM   #15

Car 1: 1997 Ford Dually
Car 2: 2003 Acura TL
Car 3: 1990 JeepYJ 350sbc/8lugs
theforeignkid, thanks for uploading that pic. Mine had the oil jet. So I was a little confused when trying to find the fill plug. Thanks again.
036speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL