Is NEW (not remanufactured) transmission available for 2003 TL S? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL

2nd Gen TL Forum specific to the Acura TL, 1999-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-06, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Is NEW (not remanufactured) transmission available for 2003 TL S?

Hi guys, I hav a 2003 TL-S with 43 k miles. The first transmission went at 40k and was replaced under warranty. The warranty replacement transmission from the dealer is remanufactured. It whines 30-40 mph, and above 70 mph. The noise is a pulsing "whirring" gear whine type noise (if you have ever driven an old rear wheel drive car with aftermarket ring and pinion that are not set up properly, and the rear whined/howled, it's that type of noise). It is not a very "loud" noise, but the original transmission definitely did not make it and I really question the quality of this transmission.

I would like to purchase a NEW replacement transmission and have a reputable transmission shop install it. I have done my share of transmission rebuilds and replacements, but this car is too new for me to be jacking around with it already. It is worth it for me to spend $5000 or so out of pocket to not have to keep taking this stupid car back to the dealer, and for them to tell me there is nothing wrong with it. Is a totally NEW, not remanufactured, transmission and torque converter available anywhere that I can just buy it? I hate dealing with the dealer and want nothing to do with them on this repair (or any other for that matter). The warranty is just not worth the hassle of having to take the car back so many times to convince them something is wrong with it.

I hope, if a new trans is available, that the durability issues have been addressed and it won't blow up like the original. This car SUCKS for a $35k car.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-06, 05:11 PM   #2

Car 1: 2003 TL Type-S
Car 2: 2004 Subaru Forester X
I think you will have a difficult time finding one. I did a quick search but didn't see any brand new ones on the internet offered for sale.
The problem here is that Acura is likely not making new ones anymore, if a replacement is needed they likely send out a remanufactured one and get the failed one back (I would bet there is a core charge so even private shops send them back in).
As for your idea of spending that kind of money, at no time did Acura completely "fix" the transmissions on this generation (new or remanufactured). That will never happen now. If you spend lots of money to put in a new one yourself, you will be in the same position. If you are done dealing with this, use that $5000 you are willing to spend as a down payment on a different car (new or used). I can't tell you how to spend your money but I also can't see what good throwing even more money at this car will do.
Old 09-14-06, 11:11 AM   #3

Car 1: Acura 3.2TL
amcco makes the after market stock replacement transmissions for acura now. from wat ive been told they dont refurbish them anymore. Also i fould this on some other forum they were talking about DR EVIL transmissions, who stripped the transmission and reingineered it from scratch, and so far they have shown some inpressive results. something like 3750$ for the DR Evil one. they have a site drevil.com i believe.
THEFOREIGNKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-06, 03:11 PM   #4

You're probably better off trading in your car for a 06 TL.
Old 09-25-06, 05:51 PM   #5
No one Sucks

Car 1: 2005 acura tsx
Car 2: 2002 Acura TL-S
I would drive the car until it is out of warranty and then get rid of it. Acura will fix it for free so save yourself the money and keep it. When the time comes that it is almost out of warranty then get rid of it ( if it is running well). If it isn't, get Acura to fix it and sell it after that. They do give you a rental car or a loaner so it doesn't completely put you at an inconvenience.
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL