Radio Code Will not work for 2003 TL type S - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL

2nd Gen TL Forum specific to the Acura TL, 1999-2003.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-05, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend L
Car 2: 2003 Acura TL type S
Radio Code Will not work for 2003 TL type S

Greetings Acura guru's,

I bought a 2003 TL type S from Keys Acura on Van Nuys last year. The car has run perfectly, until I replaced the battery last week. When I entered the radio code that came with the car, it does not work! I for sure entered the code correctly; however, it will not work no matter what I do.

I went to Keys Acura on Van Nuys and the service guy confirmed for me that I have the correct radio code. He then told me that acuras made during 2003 often had this problem. He assured me he could get the code to work; however, he would need to charge me $190 for the work.

Does anyone have any idea on how I can get my radio code to work? I shouldn't have to pay - this is a problem with the car that was not disclosed to me upon purchase.

Can anyone offer me advice on how to get the radio to accept the code??? Please!!!!!!

Best regards,

Victor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-05, 07:49 AM   #2

isn't it still under warranty??
disgookonfiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-05, 03:35 PM   #3

Car 1: 1995 Legend
Car 2: 2003 TL
Did the dealer install the battery? If so, I would think they would be obliged to reset the radio. It may require finding out the actual serial number of the head unit(as opposed to the VIN) in order to do so. It is conceivable that the radio may have been replaced by a previous owner. The local dealer by me (Davis Acura in Langhorne, PA) has never flinched when I needed to find the security code for my Legend (2X). The first time the radio had been switched out by a previous owner/dealer...the second time I replaced it because the display had disappeared.
Good luck,
Brian
BNWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 12:31 AM   #4
Unluckiest TL Owner :(

There's a problem with the antenna interfering with the code sometimes. You have to reach behind the deck on the driver side and unplug the antenna feed. Then you have to put in the code and reconnect the feed.

Don't ask why or how it interferes. Acura doesn't know, either.

- '03 TL-S
Suspension
- 18x7.5 Enkei ZR2, Toyo T1-S, Tein SS w/ EDFC, Comptech sway bars, SPC camber kit, Rotora BBK, rear slotted rotors
Engine
- Spoon T-stat, T-switch, 1.35 bar cap, AEM CAI, OBX SS headers, UR pulleys, V-AFC II, Thermoblok Spacer Kit, Yellow Top w/ V6P battery terminals
Visual
- OEM kit custom molded, 3M Ti 35% tint, cleared headlights, Grille-Tech grilles, HID foglights
Audio
- JL 500/1, 2 12W3v2, Remote Bass Control, RF cap, dynamat
Protection
- Valentine 1 w/ concealed display
Pure Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-05, 03:52 AM   #5

Car 1: 2003 Acura TL
like the wires connected for the fuses? i too have this problem too, but my problem, before when the car battery didnt work on me, it reseted everything. And when i did it last time it worked, but after trying it again... it doesn't. does anyone know how it works?
wootang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 08:22 PM   #6

Hello,

I talked to some more acura service people and indeed the problem is with the antenna. Inorder for the radio to accept the correct code, the antenna must be physically disconnected from the back.

Does anyone know how to do this - or does the radio need to be taken out? I called the dealership where I purchased my still under warranty 2003 acura - they said that they would enter in the code for $190.

According to Key's Acura on Van Nuys; had I used them to change my batter they would have entered in the code free of charge. I am upset about this situation because I bought the car from them just 8 months ago, and it is still under warranty. They never disclosed this problem to. Going to the dealership to fix minor problems is inconvenient and overly expensive. However, now, I have no choice else I won't be able to use my radio. Very bad business!

Victor
victor363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-05, 10:13 AM   #7

Car 1: 2003 Acura TL
ooo wow ghetto!
Clear Bulbs Turn Signals
wootang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-05, 10:36 PM   #8

Oh well, I guess it is our lot to suffer. I am not sure if I am going to go back to the acura dealer and try working something out or just blog my discontent on the internet. Is it possible to disconnect the antenna feed without romoving the dashboard? Can you just reach around and pull it out? There are some wires there - but I do not want to touch them without knowing what I am doing. If I could do it myself without dismantling the dash board - this problem would merely be a minor inconvenience.

Wootang84 - do you have a picture of your TL? It sounds really amazing with the LED's and clear bulbs turn signals.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Victor
Old 12-03-05, 04:16 PM   #9

Car 1: 02 3.2 TL Type-S
i had a similar problem with me 02 Type-S... When u put the code in wrong it keeps sayin err 1 err 2 etc., well wait for it to say CODE and let it blink for about a few hours or so.... then put the code in... But b4 i did this I called he dealer and he said that you would have to disconnect the deck for an hour... i did this also.... I took me about 20 mins to do so. It was a 22 step process.... After fighting pull shoving and cursing i got it out... Then after shoving, hittin and vursing back into place, it still didnt werk until i left it blinkin CODE for about an hour or 2.... Long story short jus let it blink CODE for a few hours to reset it....
- Shaved 3.2 TL Type-S emblems, soon to get rid of the big A on back and jus leave ACURA...

Jus obtained, by Summer time ill be Official...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...h_TLHIDing.jpg
Ryons02TLTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-05, 11:48 PM   #10

Wow! That actually worked. Its a miracle. I let the thing blink for a week and typed in the code - It actually worked. Deffinitely did not see that coming.
Old 12-08-05, 05:47 PM   #11

Car 1: 2003 Acura TL type S
Cool

I just went to Keyes Acura in Van Nuys and they told me will be $90 because thel have to remove the radio in order to get the serial number. But if you do it yourself just go to parts and give them the serial number and the registration of the vehicle and they will give the code for free. I will try it this weekend.
pirulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 04:33 PM   #12

When I went to Key's acura on van nuys, I had a different experience. They confirmed that I had the correct code and verified it with what I had. They still said that they would have to charge me to enter in the code because they had to remove the antenna feed from the back of the radio. This is because 2003 tl's have a design flaw where the code can't be entered while the antenna is connected to the radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 2nd Gen TL