Acura World banner

A/C stopped blowing cold air

69K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  HondaGurl4Life 
#1 ·
2004 TSX, non-navigation

I've done some searching around the site and was hoping some of you could help me out. Last weekend my A/C suddenly stopped blowing cold air. I stopped at a gas station and when I started it back up, no cold air, just ambient.

Long story short I took it to a mechanic today and here's what he found:

Plenty of freon in the system
Compressor is not getting any power
But the compressor is grounded properly
Switch on the high pressure tube works normally
Cooling fans turn on when the A/C is turned on
Fuses and relays check out normal

So he says it may have something to do (here's where I get fuzzy) with some sort of control circuit board under the dash because for some reason the car is not sending a signal to turn on the compressor. Basically he says he needs to take it apart to find out what the hell is going on. Anyone else have this problem?

I appreciate any help that y'all could give me, thanks.

-Zak

See less See more
#5 ·
Hmm, I wonder if mine is on it's way out. It works fine pretty much all the time, but one morning a couple weeks ago on my way to work, the AC was only blowing out warm air even though I had it set for 60 degrees. It was working fine on my way home and hasn't happened since.

#7 ·
Hi Zak

Hi Zak,
Did u get ur issue resolved? Have the same problem since a couple of years..Went to a couple of mechanics..The first one (2011) said there was no leak in the system but the compressor was not getting power..He did top up the system with refrigerant (just in case) and the ac started blowing cold air for a while (may be 2 hrs) but then it stopped...

The second one (last yr) also said there was no leak, but recharged the system and put a dye in there to confirm. He also said he fixed some electrical problem. And lo...the ac started working again...i could hear the compressor click on/off...But it lasted only for may be 15 days...I didnt bother to get it fixed again during winter...But its unbearable to have no AC in the summer...Let me know if you were able to figure what was ur issue..looks like my exact same issue..

Thanks
AB

#8 ·
I just had my AC stop blowing cold air and my mechanic found that it was a loose connection in the A/C relay. The compressor was not getting electricity to turn on. He repositioned and tighened terminals to make a good connection and now AC is working properly again. He told me that if it stops blowing cold air again that I may need to replace the Fuse and Relay Box.

#9 ·
whats left ?

I've done all of this and even replaced both fuse boxes.. Still nothing.. but i have more electrical problems. Just to name a few..
Blinkers , alarm , Trunk , Windshield mister , seat warmers, memory seats, battery dies after 3-4 days if not started.
You can get the blinker to maybe come on for a minute or two after you have been driving the car for 20 minutes. The alarm goes off every time you unlock the door , so we started leaving the car unlocked. i feel like i have tried everything .. next is to replace the computer .. unless anyone has some advice ..

#10 ·
All, I'm having similar issue in 2007 that we just got. Will have AC set at low and only getting warm air the:

-stopped at a light
-driving on city roads with many stop and goes
-on the highway if its a full-sun hot day (San Antonio, Texas)

Took it to my mechanic who said there must be a leak because the freon was virtually gone, but couldn't find the leak so put dye in it and said to come back. I explained the temperature was going in and out based on whether the vehicle was moving or not (on cooler days with cloud cover), but he didn't seem to think that was part of the problem. To me this may indicate fan or relay issue? What do you think?

His advice was drive it until it doesn't cool anymore and come back to see if they can "find" the leak, but I"m not happy with that service. What should I specifically ask them to exam?

I also have a 2007 Civic and have owned Accords since 1996 so as I understand it, could be relay or fuse issues? Please help! I hate being at the mercy of repair guys and don't necessarily want to take it into the dealership to be upcharged...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.