A/C stopped blowing cold air - Acura Forum : Acura Forums

1st Gen TSX A Forum for the 1st Gen Acura TSX!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-09, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

A/C stopped blowing cold air

2004 TSX, non-navigation

I've done some searching around the site and was hoping some of you could help me out. Last weekend my A/C suddenly stopped blowing cold air. I stopped at a gas station and when I started it back up, no cold air, just ambient.

Long story short I took it to a mechanic today and here's what he found:

Plenty of freon in the system
Compressor is not getting any power
But the compressor is grounded properly
Switch on the high pressure tube works normally
Cooling fans turn on when the A/C is turned on
Fuses and relays check out normal

So he says it may have something to do (here's where I get fuzzy) with some sort of control circuit board under the dash because for some reason the car is not sending a signal to turn on the compressor. Basically he says he needs to take it apart to find out what the hell is going on. Anyone else have this problem?

I appreciate any help that y'all could give me, thanks.

-Zak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-20-09, 03:07 AM
Old Parts Slinger

Garage
Send a message via AIM to C25A1guy
I've read somewhere about another person that had a similar issue. They did a work-around using a manual switch to the circuit. Otherwise, you would need a climate control unit replacement.

-Dean
post #3 of 9 Old 05-20-09, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Any idea what it would cost to replace the climate control? Seems weird to me that you'd have to replace the whole climate control unit when the heating still works and all.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-28-09, 08:56 PM

Check to see if the A/C compressor clutch Relay is ok. Find the relay using the fuse-box diagram, and swap it with another relay in the fuse box.

I have seen this problem more than once, all ending up to be a faulty relay.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-29-09, 10:41 AM
Fart Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim062 View Post
Check to see if the A/C compressor clutch Relay is ok. Find the relay using the fuse-box diagram, and swap it with another relay in the fuse box.

I have seen this problem more than once, all ending up to be a faulty relay.
Hmm, I wonder if mine is on it's way out. It works fine pretty much all the time, but one morning a couple weeks ago on my way to work, the AC was only blowing out warm air even though I had it set for 60 degrees. It was working fine on my way home and hasn't happened since.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-10-09, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Yea I've checked the relay for the compressor and that's not the problem. Somehow the compressor isn't getting power. The connections seem fine and the compressor spins freely when I turn it with my hand when the engine is off.

Any ideas?
post #7 of 9 Old 05-22-13, 12:41 PM

Hi Zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUnavy2777 View Post
2004 TSX, non-navigation

I've done some searching around the site and was hoping some of you could help me out. Last weekend my A/C suddenly stopped blowing cold air. I stopped at a gas station and when I started it back up, no cold air, just ambient.

So he says it may have something to do (here's where I get fuzzy) with some sort of control circuit board under the dash because for some reason the car is not sending a signal to turn on the compressor. Basically he says he needs to take it apart to find out what the hell is going on. Anyone else have this problem?

-Zak

Hi Zak,
Did u get ur issue resolved? Have the same problem since a couple of years..Went to a couple of mechanics..The first one (2011) said there was no leak in the system but the compressor was not getting power..He did top up the system with refrigerant (just in case) and the ac started blowing cold air for a while (may be 2 hrs) but then it stopped...

The second one (last yr) also said there was no leak, but recharged the system and put a dye in there to confirm. He also said he fixed some electrical problem. And lo...the ac started working again...i could hear the compressor click on/off...But it lasted only for may be 15 days...I didnt bother to get it fixed again during winter...But its unbearable to have no AC in the summer...Let me know if you were able to figure what was ur issue..looks like my exact same issue..

Thanks
AB
post #8 of 9 Old 06-14-17, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUnavy2777 View Post
2004 TSX, non-navigation

-Zak
I just had my AC stop blowing cold air and my mechanic found that it was a loose connection in the A/C relay. The compressor was not getting electricity to turn on. He repositioned and tighened terminals to make a good connection and now AC is working properly again. He told me that if it stops blowing cold air again that I may need to replace the Fuse and Relay Box.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-19-17, 03:11 PM
Awaiting Confirmation

Question whats left ?

I've done all of this and even replaced both fuse boxes.. Still nothing.. but i have more electrical problems. Just to name a few..
Blinkers , alarm , Trunk , Windshield mister , seat warmers, memory seats, battery dies after 3-4 days if not started.
You can get the blinker to maybe come on for a minute or two after you have been driving the car for 20 minutes. The alarm goes off every time you unlock the door , so we started leaving the car unlocked. i feel like i have tried everything .. next is to replace the computer .. unless anyone has some advice ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TSX > 1st Gen TSX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.