Acura World banner

Need Acura AC expert

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Hondacuraplanet 
#1 ·
I have a 1996 Integra, only 70,000 miles, (I don't drive it much) that the AC cycles on and off while I am driving.

I don't remember it doing so when it was newer, but it may have. Kind of for fun I rebuilt the AC compressor, cleaned out the AC hoses, and replaced the dryer about 8 years ago. I had the system evacuated and filled by an AC shop since I don't have a vacuum pump. There are no leaks in the system.

In studying the circuit diagram and the service manual I am guessing that the thermostat is what is causing the cycling. The manual states that the thermostat turns opens at 37 degrees and closes at 39 degrees. Both electric fans ground through the thermostat and there is an ECM terminal that grounds through the thermostat as well. The compressor mag clutch gets its power through a relay that grounds through the ECM, so I assume that the ECM opens the compressor circuit when the thermostat opens its ECM terminal.

Long description, sorry. Overall question, should the system cycle frequently, or is it likely that the thermostat is bad and I need to break open the system to get the evaporate out to replace the thermostat.

Thanks

John

See less See more
#2 ·
What thermostat, do you mean the thermostatic bulb end on the expansion valve?

If what you're reading is correct, it may have something to do with the refrigerant. R134A usually causes air to blow out the vents at 42 degrees, instead of 38 with R-12. Can't recall offhand, but I think your car was equipped with 134 from the factory.

I'd think that it has more to do with a pressure issue within the system, as in low freon. Have you had the pressures checked lately?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.