Right halfshaft assembly removal - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Featured Forums > Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself No more whining, "I don't know how!!!!!" Suck it up and try, babies! Posts in this forum are moderated, so it may take time for your post to display.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-07, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Integra
Right halfshaft assembly removal

I have a 1991 Acura Intgra (actually I bought it for my 16 year old son). After having the car for a week, he had a blowout going around a curve in the back of our neighborhood and hit a curb, folding the right front wheel under the car and bending stuff underneath. Since it was going to cost over twice what I paid for the car to have it fixed, I decided to get the parts and do it myself. I'm not a mechanic, but I am an engineer and can figure most things out if I think about it long enough. After getting everything off that I thought I needed to remove, I went to the salvage yard and got all the replacement parts. They took a look at my spindle and said "You need to remove tha axle and get one from Auto Zone." I came back and started trying to figure out how to get what is apparently the "right halfshaft assembly" out of the transaxle, but there are no instructions on how to do this in my Chilton's manual. Can someone here please help me out with this? Do I need to open the transaxle case and remove a keeper from the end of the shaft??? I kind of figured if it was going to be THAT detailed, that there would have been more instructions in my Chilton's manual.

I appreciate any help or advice you can send my direction.

Sincerely,

Paul
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-08, 11:48 PM   #2

Paul,

If this is anything like my '94 civic (which I'm assuming it is) half shafts are a peice of cake. Should take you no more than 20 minutes. If you have the knuckle off already just get a big screwdriver inbetween where the half shalf meets the transaxle case and give it a little pry. I should pop out with very little effort and you can pull it out by hand the rest of the way. Putting it in is just as easy. Just feel the spline teeth as your putting it in (make sure they mesh) and you should be able to pop it in by hand. If it gets a little stuck just tap it lightly with a rubber hammer a few times and it should pop in. NOTE! Make sure the spindle side slides into the new spindle with ease. I had the problem where i get the new half shaft in ready to roll and I couldn't get the spline to slide into the knuckle. Had to pull it all apart and go get a new one. Caused me a headache.

Take a look at the new halfshaft... if it has a little tubular retainer clip on end this is most likely the installation and removal procedure. Hope this helps.

Nick
unistang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Featured Forums > Do It Yourself