06 TL, Shifter stuck, transmission, vsa light
Hello, I have an automatic 2006 Acura TL. One day I turn on my car and tried to shift into reverse, but the shifter was stuck. After some googling, I learn I could override and have been doing that so I can drive it when I absolutely need to. I've tried to avoid driving it as much as I can. Anyway, so when I drive it, it feels funny when it shifts for the first time, but only from 1st to 2nd gear(I assume). Due to that, I try to accelerate very slowly as I want to minimize any kind of damage as much as I can.
A couple of observations:
-The Orange Triangle light with the exclamation mark comes on once I start going.
- The VSA light comes on also at the same time.
- The 1st to 2nd gear shift feels funny
- I checked transmission fluid. It is brown but no particles.
Past/ongoing problems with the car:
- For the longest time it won't always start up on first key turn (maybe starter bad?)
- About 7 months ago my alternator died. Mechanic said that my starter could be be putting a lot of stress on my alternator. Due to lack of funds, I didn't replace starter.
- A couple weeks after this gear shifter / transmission issue started, my battery died. I couldn't charge it so I just got a new one. Has been fine since that.
My main issue is the gear shifter / transmission though. Does the car lock the gear shifter if it senses something wrong with the transmission or is it something more indirectly related? Obviously I need new transmission fluid, so could the car be responding to that old transmission fluid? Excuse my ignorance but I just don't know enough about vehicles in general. If anyone has any insight or has had similar problems it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.