Acura World banner

Capabilities of towing

38K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  raja777m 
#1 ·
Hey guys/gals I need your help in answering a few questions. I currently own a s2k and am looking into getting a used TL but I want to know whether it can tow a bike? If it has the capability, does it put much stress on the diff? Have you towed anything with your TL? If so, can you post pics of the tow hitch?

#2 ·
Bike as in motorcycle? If so, I have a bike and refuse to even try it. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but FWD vehicles really don't make for good towing.

#3 ·
Most passenger cars can tow around 1000 to 1500lbs. I know one person who tows a small trailer for his motorcycle with an Integra, and I've seen it done with an S2k.

I used to tow all the time with an Odyssey, but, to reiterate what has already been said, FWD isn't ideal for towing.

#4 ·
I have jet ski's and motorcycles..... I use the Hummer to tow my stuff but I have a few friends that also have similar toys...... I have one friend with a 2000 Honda Accord V6, he tows his 2006 Sea Doo RXP which is a 790lbs (dry) jet ski on a lightweight Triton trailor, the car pulls it effortlessly, I know another guy who tows his ski with an Integra...... I think if you keep it shy of 1000lbs you wont have any issues as long as your not beating the tar out of your car. Back when I had my 2003 CL Type S I towed a lightweight trailer (the 4x8 model Menards sells) with my 2000 YZ125 motocross bike on it..... didnt even know it was back there but I think the whole thing was around 500lbs or less.

#6 ·
The added weight will be acting on the rear of your car. Think of it as adding three passengers in your trunk. You have less weight on the front of the car, making the steering a lot lighter (not in a good way). You also lose traction at the drive-wheels. Your headlights would be aimed higher, possibly into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

#7 ·
You can always load a bit further back to take some weight off the tounge of the trailer..... if you keep the tounge weight less than a couple hundred pounds and dont have your trunk loaded with a bunch of cargo there should be no problem. What kind of bike are you gonna be towning??? Sport bike or full dresser Harley...... a 400lb sport bike on a light trailer and you wont even know its back there.

#9 ·
Why not?? First off some people dont have the funds to have multiple vehicles, a single motorcycle or Personal watercraft can easily be towed with just about anything including a TL

#11 ·
I put a hitch on my '07 Type-S in early 2009. I use it primarily with a Thule bicycle carrier, not a concern. I also tow my Waverunner, launching it and recovering it at boat ramps. I've not had any problems with traction or power doing so. I do take it easy on the driving when towing the Waverunner. I also haul various items with my small utility trailer, such as tree trimmings, tile, sod, scooters, etc. So far, no problems at all. I don't have an issue with tongue weight because the Waverunner trailer is nearly perfectly balanced. I can adjust the utility trailer load to get the weight balanced.

#12 ·
Finally, somebody that understands the question and had actually mounted a hitch!
I just bought an '08 TL and wanna put a 1 1/2" hitch. (Thule 2 bike rack!)
What hitch did you install and does it limit the ground clearance? I don't wanna be scrapin goin' in and outta driveways.
thanks
Ed

#14 ·
2007 Acura TL Type S Hitch

Sorry Ed for not responding over two years ago! I don't recall reading an email notifying me that someone posted in this thread. Better late than never.

I don't recall the name of the manufacturer (it's worn off). The Draw-Tite hitch from the etrailer website looks right. Ground clearance is not a problem. I've scraped only when backing straight out of my driveway. Now I turn just before the gutter so the back tires take turns crossing the gutter. No more scrapes. Attached are a couple of photos.

G

Attachments

#16 ·
Stock brakes should be just fine for towing something within the approved tow capacity of the vehicle. If aggressive braking is a common issue when you're towing a trailer then you shouldn't be towing as you don't know how to tow a vehicle. That is, leaving extra room for stopping, having escape routes in case an event causes you to not have the stopping room you require, etc.

Towing is not as simple as hitching up a trailer and taking off. It requires an entirely different style of driving than your day to day. If you aren't familiar in the least of what is required then you shouldn't be towing anything at all.

That being said. A TL is probably rated at 1000 pounds towing capacity with a 200 pound tongue weight. That would be the equivalent of one large person in the back seat as far as traction and headlight aiming is considered. This is standard maximum load for a class I receiver.

#17 ·
I towed the WaveRunner behind the TL for almost seven years. Even though the car has plenty of power and braking capability, I drove it conservatively while towing, mostly because I was concerned about the hitch being bolted to the trunk pan. I never had a problem towing though, and I still have the factory rotors, which are in great shape. After eight years with the TL, I am finally planning to sell it.

#18 ·
So, your's is a FWD? I have an option to buy 2012 TL FWD or an SH-AWD, everything else is same.
I may have to tow two motorcycles. Will there be any problem?
Please follow this thread for more details on my request.

wwwDOTacuraworldDOTcom/forums/f157/need-help-chosing-awd-vs-fwd-used-2012-tl-118834/#post1692722
Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.