Error message : Tighten Fuel Cap - Acura Forum : Acura Forums

3rd Gen TL Forum for the GV platform TL - 2004 to 2008.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-09, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Error message : Tighten Fuel Cap

Or something to that effect, it's happened twice now in the last couple of days, the error comes on the display, I acknowledge it. I drive for a bit, stop, and restart. Immediately the error is back again. I drive for a while, and it disappears. Two days later, same thing. I did screw the cap on after the first error - there was about 2/3rds of a tank. Today, it came back on again, I'm down to about a 1/3rd tank.

The cap is on tight, I turn it until it clicks a few times. Any ideas? I had a Chrysler that had the same error - I did have the cap on pretty loose - and it didin't go away until I refilled the tank. Do I need to do the same here?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 Old 12-27-09, 06:58 PM
Moderatus Emeriti
I would go back to your dealer - some states actually have test equipment that will check your fuel cap for a leak or poor seal. As the Fuel cap is a vital part of your emission control system, it could be causing the error - or point to another component that is the root cause of the problem.

Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness!
post #3 of 9 Old 01-10-10, 07:53 AM
I have an 08 with 60K miles and I have had the same error message about ten times in the last year. my dealer told me that it is not common but he has heard about it. He gave me no info on how to fix it. It is a little annoying, but I just usually check(tighten) the cap and clear the error message on go on about my business. I have had no problems from it to speak of. GOOD LUCK
post #4 of 9 Old 01-11-10, 02:43 PM
Sounds to me like the cap is not sealing. Make the dealer replace it if your under warranty. In NJ the vehicle fuel cap is tested during the inspection process and you fail if it leaks.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-12-10, 02:11 PM
Old Parts Slinger
Send a message via AIM to C25A1guy
Are you tightening the cap until you get some clicks? If not, do that (I know, it sounds stupid, but I've had some of my customer's moms and girlfriends call me because they haven't been tightening their filler cap tight enough). If that's still no good, go back to the dealer and get a new cap (if you're still under warranty, even better).

post #6 of 9 Old 01-18-10, 01:17 PM
How old is the cap? The guys at the emission testing center told me the caps wear down over time, increasing emissions and lessening MPG. Could this be the source of the error message? When this happened with my old '92 Accord, the cap was a mere $10 or so.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-27-10, 05:20 PM
When I first purchased my '07 TL-S, I wasn't six miles from the dealership when the loose gas cap message came on. I took it right back to the dealership and their mechanic replaced some module, problem disappeared.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-28-10, 10:59 PM
There is a service bullentin about the "tighten fuel cap" issue. There is a sensor that needs to be replaced and can be done at the dealer. I just had mine fixed, 07 TL, at the dealer for no charge. I had a copy of the service bullentin with me so that I didn't have foolish things done to the car that would not take care of the problem once and for all. I have not had any problems since. Hope this helps everyone having this annoying problem.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-09-10, 09:33 PM
I have the same thing done with my Type-S. It was covered under warranty. I was told it was some PCV valve....???

07 CBP TL-S 5AT:
Sponsored Links

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 3rd Gen TL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.