Error message : Tighten Fuel Cap - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 3rd Gen TL

3rd Gen TL Forum for the GV platform TL - 2004 to 2008.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-09, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Error message : Tighten Fuel Cap

Or something to that effect, it's happened twice now in the last couple of days, the error comes on the display, I acknowledge it. I drive for a bit, stop, and restart. Immediately the error is back again. I drive for a while, and it disappears. Two days later, same thing. I did screw the cap on after the first error - there was about 2/3rds of a tank. Today, it came back on again, I'm down to about a 1/3rd tank.

The cap is on tight, I turn it until it clicks a few times. Any ideas? I had a Chrysler that had the same error - I did have the cap on pretty loose - and it didin't go away until I refilled the tank. Do I need to do the same here?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-09, 06:58 PM   #2
Moderatus Emeriti
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car 1: 2006 RSX Type-S
Car 2: 2003 RSX Xmods
I would go back to your dealer - some states actually have test equipment that will check your fuel cap for a leak or poor seal. As the Fuel cap is a vital part of your emission control system, it could be causing the error - or point to another component that is the root cause of the problem.

Nikon1
Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness!
Nikon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 07:53 AM   #3

Car 1: Acura TL 2008
I have an 08 with 60K miles and I have had the same error message about ten times in the last year. my dealer told me that it is not common but he has heard about it. He gave me no info on how to fix it. It is a little annoying, but I just usually check(tighten) the cap and clear the error message on go on about my business. I have had no problems from it to speak of. GOOD LUCK
Tony-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 02:43 PM   #4

Car 1: 2008 TL Type S
Sounds to me like the cap is not sealing. Make the dealer replace it if your under warranty. In NJ the vehicle fuel cap is tested during the inspection process and you fail if it leaks.
vortex43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 02:11 PM   #5
Old Parts Slinger
Supporting Member

Garage

Car 1: 2002 RSX
Car 2: 2007 Honda Ridgeline
Car 3: 2005 Honda Civic
Are you tightening the cap until you get some clicks? If not, do that (I know, it sounds stupid, but I've had some of my customer's moms and girlfriends call me because they haven't been tightening their filler cap tight enough). If that's still no good, go back to the dealer and get a new cap (if you're still under warranty, even better).
Old 01-18-10, 01:17 PM   #6

Car 1: 2004 Acura TL
Car 2: 2004 Honda CR-V
How old is the cap? The guys at the emission testing center told me the caps wear down over time, increasing emissions and lessening MPG. Could this be the source of the error message? When this happened with my old '92 Accord, the cap was a mere $10 or so.
Zookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 05:20 PM   #7

Car 1: 2007 Acura TL Type-S
Car 2: 1998 Acura CL 3.0
Car 3: 2000 Ferrari Modena
When I first purchased my '07 TL-S, I wasn't six miles from the dealership when the loose gas cap message came on. I took it right back to the dealership and their mechanic replaced some module, problem disappeared.
SoftwareDrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-10, 10:59 PM   #8

Car 1: 2007 Acura TL
There is a service bullentin about the "tighten fuel cap" issue. There is a sensor that needs to be replaced and can be done at the dealer. I just had mine fixed, 07 TL, at the dealer for no charge. I had a copy of the service bullentin with me so that I didn't have foolish things done to the car that would not take care of the problem once and for all. I have not had any problems since. Hope this helps everyone having this annoying problem.
snoozabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 09:33 PM   #9

I have the same thing done with my Type-S. It was covered under warranty. I was told it was some PCV valve....???
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > TL > 3rd Gen TL