Can white smoke out of exhaust be something beside head or gasket?? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > Integra

Integra Forum related to the Acura Integra

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-10, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 acura integra L
Can white smoke out of exhaust be something beside head or gasket??

Ok I know most of you will say cracked head or blown gasket on this but if head was cracked or gasket is blown wouldn't the car overheat and leak antifreez or oil??
The car is a 90 integra LS,its sat for a couple yrs up until 3months ago when I got it from a police impound and I changed oil,plugs,wires,dizzy,new fuel filter,haven't changed or flushed antifreez yet..
The car does not over heat at all,antifreez levels stay the same,nothing but a little gas smell on spark plugs(no fluid on the plugs),doesn't use oil, and didn't start smoking like this till a few days ago right after I drove it from the car wash then parked it all night then the next day started it and let it warm up to almost normal temp then it started smoking white smoke out of the muffler tip..
Got some lucas oil stabalizer a couple days later(didn't drive it till I got the lucas stuff),put the stuff in started the car it had a little bit of smoke coming out but then the more it ran it stopped coming out..
Drove it around for a little while yesterday for an hour or so then came homeand let it sat all night.. Came out just a few mins ago started it and let it warm up and then the same white smoke started coming out..
Smoke doesn't smell like antifreez it has a weird smell that I can't really describe.. It doesn't smell like the normal exhaust smell..
Is their anyway that it could be a bad catalytic converter or o2 sensor or maybe the antifreez or maybe bad fuel in the tank??
Please let me know as soon as possible..
And remember it doesn't and hasn't overheated since I have been driving it the temp gauge doesn't even get on half,it stays a little to the left unless I cold start it and it takes a little while to warm up.. Please let me know what you think..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-10, 03:57 PM   #2

My Mood: Sad

Car 1: 91'Teg turbo, stolen
Car 2: 97' EK Built LS-Vtec
Car 3: 92' Talon AWD Turbo
well when you washed your car did you spray water in your exhaust?
you could of got some water in the exhaust that's sitting in there now and slowly steaming out.

if it was the head/head gasket then it would overheat and loose coolant, how much white smoke is coming out?
Old 05-25-10, 04:59 PM   #3
"We got this... go home."
Supporting Member

Car 1: 2006 AW FF Champ
Car 2: 2010 AW FF Champ
Is it heavy white smoke?

AW Fantasy Football Champ 2010AW Fantasy Football Champ 2006
Old 05-25-10, 05:02 PM   #4

Car 1: 1990 acura integra L
Ok done some inspecting

Started the car again and let it warm up then it started smoking white smoke(when it smokes its a steady streem of white smoke and if sitting in driver seat u can see with no problems through mirror)..
When I turned the car off I went and looked under the hood and found that their is a tiny bit of oil leaking from the driver side front corner of the engine(enough to make a little white smoke by the front corner wher the belts are and near where the stock header bolts up.. Thinking its probly a head gasket because its dry above that spot that looks wet.. Valve cover is dry all the way around.. But I'm not really sure so if anyone knows anything let me know.. Thanks
Old 05-25-10, 05:56 PM   #5
Oh, Teggy!

Car 1: 1998 Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by vater23 View Post
Started the car again and let it warm up then it started smoking white smoke(when it smokes its a steady streem of white smoke and if sitting in driver seat u can see with no problems through mirror)..
When I turned the car off I went and looked under the hood and found that their is a tiny bit of oil leaking from the driver side front corner of the engine(enough to make a little white smoke by the front corner wher the belts are and near where the stock header bolts up.. Thinking its probly a head gasket because its dry above that spot that looks wet.. Valve cover is dry all the way around.. But I'm not really sure so if anyone knows anything let me know.. Thanks
definately starting to sound more and more like a bad head gasket.
Old 05-25-10, 08:41 PM   #6

Car 1: 1994 Honda Civic DX
Car 2: 2008 civic ex coupe
i had a mazda truck that smoked bad, usually white smoke but i think for it the rings were bad and a pretty common issue. Not sure on acuras
Old 05-26-10, 03:10 AM   #7

My Mood: Sad

Car 1: 91'Teg turbo, stolen
Car 2: 97' EK Built LS-Vtec
Car 3: 92' Talon AWD Turbo
is there any coolant in the oil?

when your rings go you burn oil and it will be blue smoke.
Old 05-26-10, 08:29 AM   #8
"We got this... go home."
Supporting Member

Car 1: 2006 AW FF Champ
Car 2: 2010 AW FF Champ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92integ View Post
is there any coolant in the oil?

when your rings go you burn oil and it will be blue smoke.
Oil = Blue Smoke

Throw a clean piece of cardboard under your teg overnight (or whenever it sits the longest) and monitor what ends up on the cardboard... a blown head gasket would result in anti-freeze in your oil and possibly the cause of white smoke...

It's hard to really pinpoint the issue over the internet and not physically being able to see the car, so obviously a professionals opinion from a reputable shop would be the best case scenario.

AW Fantasy Football Champ 2010AW Fantasy Football Champ 2006
Old 05-26-10, 10:04 AM   #9
AW Detailing Wanker
Lifetime Supporting Member

Garage

Car 1: 1994 Integra LS
Car 2: 1994 CBR600F2
Car 3: 2001 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLAD23DERx View Post
Oil = Blue Smoke

Throw a clean piece of cardboard under your teg overnight (or whenever it sits the longest) and monitor what ends up on the cardboard... a blown head gasket would result in anti-freeze in your oil and possibly the cause of white smoke...

It's hard to really pinpoint the issue over the internet and not physically being able to see the car, so obviously a professionals opinion from a reputable shop would be the best case scenario.
+1 to this idea. Also check your oil. Look at the oil that comes out on the dipstick. If it looks a little milky that is a very strong sign of a bad head gasket as well.

Our Father, who art in Autos, hollowed be thy frame. Thy Horsepower come, Thy torque be fun, in Imports as in Domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel, and forgive us our hooning, as we forgive those who hoon against us, and lead us not into chrome accents, but deliver us from rice. For thine is the Cam, and the Piston, and the Rod, for ever and ever. Or until they break.. Amen.
Old 05-26-10, 04:09 PM   #10

Car 1: 1994 Honda Civic DX
Car 2: 2008 civic ex coupe
hmm weird i honestly don't remember, but didn't think it was blue smoke!
who knows its been years
Old 06-13-10, 07:33 AM   #11
rpayne17

Car 1: 91 Acura Integra GS
Car 2: 90 Acura Integra LS
I have white smoke coming out of exhaust also, but I also smell gasoline vapors. The plugs and top of piston heads look dry brown & black. I suspect fuel injectors, but not sure. any ideas?
Old 06-14-10, 01:17 PM   #12
AW Detailing Wanker
Lifetime Supporting Member

Garage

Car 1: 1994 Integra LS
Car 2: 1994 CBR600F2
Car 3: 2001 BMW M3
Injectors won't cause your integra to smoke, Well maybe black smoke if they were stuck open or something. Your gasoline vapors could be due to a cracked hose at the fuel pump. White smoke is due to coolant making its way into the cylinders. Check your oil and see if there is coolant in there.

Our Father, who art in Autos, hollowed be thy frame. Thy Horsepower come, Thy torque be fun, in Imports as in Domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel, and forgive us our hooning, as we forgive those who hoon against us, and lead us not into chrome accents, but deliver us from rice. For thine is the Cam, and the Piston, and the Rod, for ever and ever. Or until they break.. Amen.
Old 06-15-10, 12:46 AM   #13

Car 1: 1992 Ford SHO MTX
Car 2: 1992 Ford SHO MTX
Car 3: 1994 Integra
rule of thumb for cars
blue smoke= oil
white smoke= water/coolent (sometimes gas but it would be raw gas and run like crap)
black smoke= gas that was burnt but still too much
how i know my dad has been a mechanic for over 30 years. so i inherit some of his knowledge.
Old 07-07-10, 03:43 PM   #14

Car 1: 92' Talon AWD Turbo
Car 2: 1998 Integra GSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaking122 View Post
rule of thumb for cars
blue smoke= oil
white smoke= water/coolent (sometimes gas but it would be raw gas and run like crap)
black smoke= gas that was burnt but still too much
how i know my dad has been a mechanic for over 30 years. so i inherit some of his knowledge.
Very useful information. All credentials to your dad, you're lucky learn from him and share with us.
Old 07-07-10, 07:56 PM   #15
Integra Mod/2nd Gen Guru
Supporting Member

Car 1: 07 Honda Pilot LX
Car 2: 97 3.0L CL
Car 3: 08 Fit Sport
white smoke can be just condensation in the morning after initial start.

CARS:
Sold & Crushed:
90' Integra 4-Dr LS | 92' Integra 2-Dr GS | 95 Legend Type-II | 95 Legend LS |99 3.2 TL

Current:

2007 Honda Pilot LX97' 3.0L CL (My Girl's Car)

Cobra Radar Detector XRS-9330
Ipod Installed
Clarion NX 500 with Backup Camera

OEM Fog Lights

Clear Bumper Signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Coupe / Hatchback > Integra