Acura World banner

Strut Problem

74K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  SMS-41 
#1 ·
We have a 2007 MDX Sport/Entertainment with the electronic suspension.

It has 89K miles on it. Recently, we started noticing a clunking sound originating from the right front area whenever we drive over bumps.

I put a jack stand under the frame, and noticed that when I jack the front right suspension up and down, the top of the strut mount is moving about a 1/4 inch.

I removed the top strut nut and re-tightened it with an air impact. It is definitely tightening as far as it possibly can, but it is still moving. It seems like the bushing between the top of the strut and the underside of the strut mount is the culprit. Does this sound like a possible explanation?

Now I'm trying to decide what the appropriate course of action is.

Assuming I want to replace the bushing, I'm going to have to R&R the strut assembly, so I'm wondering if I need to consider replacing the strut while I'm at it.

The replacement electronic strut is rather expensive (DealerPartsDirect wants $588.66), so I'm wondering what my options are.

1. How many miles are these electronic suspension bits typically good for?

2. Is it possible and practical to replace all struts/shocks with their non-electronic counterparts (which are significantly less expensive)? We've never really been able to tell any difference between the Sport and Comfort modes anyway.

3. Does anyone make an aftermarket strut/shock for this vehicle?

4. If I don't need to replace the strut, what part(s) would need to be replaced to resolve this problem?

Thanks for your advice!

Alan

See less See more
#2 ·
Alan, what a coincidence that you are having an issue with your strut, because we jsut replaced the right front strut on our 2007 MDX Sport/Ent with 56k miles. It is a special electronic strut that works in conjunction with the active damper system, so it is very expensive. The replacement of just one strut with labor was about $1200 with labor, but Acura Corporate cut the price in half, so about $600. You will have to work with your local Acura dealer to see what kind of help they can get from corporate. I would not recommend replacing the strut with an aftermarket part as this is a very specialized "Acura" part. The active damper system may never work the same again if you replace it with an afermarket strut. Good luck!

#8 ·
Hi AlanC, we are having the same problems with our '07 MDX @ 120k miles on the same side, and also have the same suspension package. I was curious as to what you ended up doing? Our dealer has suggested that the strut get replaced. Not sure if there are other issues yet. Thanks!

#9 ·
I had two front struts replaced under warranty on my 2007, at 40,000 kms. 14 months later, and out of warranty, the clunking returned. Second set put in, or third, depending on how you look at it. "Warranty items not cover again under warranty". Two electronic shocks $12oo each. I went crazy on Acura and the dealer. The dealer picked up the tab. ( thanks to the dealer, upset that Corperate hung them out to dry) Fast forward to this spring, 20 months later, 91,000 kms on the car, changing over the snows to summers. Leaky rear right electronic shock. Take it into the dealer, guess what? $12oo for the rear shock plus instillation? Went crazy again, hammered out a better deal on a shock, $369ish plus install.

With a premium product, such as an ACURA. I have premium expectations. Of my 25 plus cars owned. This has by far been the worst, and most problematic vehicle I have ever owned. I understand repairs, but parts pricing, and issues have been higher than any other exotic I have ever owned so far. My dealer and corporate are not interested. I am ready for a new vehicle. I have driven the new MDX, it is wonderful. But currently I am too scarred from the current continued repair lashings. 3 DVD players, one zenon bulb, quoted bulb price, $495 and 6 hours installation time.
Car was 18 months old, bulbs covered under 12 month warranty. I could go on. 65000 for a new one? 13000 trade? $14000 discount in a few months after I just buy my new one?

Currently searching the site, because passenger window won't go down. I guess I need to pop the drivers door switches out.

Shop carefully people. Price your parts with Tim on the board. Don't say yes, until you know your stuff. Trucks up in the air and it need new brakes? don't be afraid to tell them to drop it on the ground and you'll do it next time. Or send it somewhere else.

Attachments

#10 ·
2007 MDX Sport suspension broken strut

So, in my research online, many of us have experienced this phenomena wiht our front suspension "breaking" and Acura telling us that it is normal wear and tear on the car as opposed to a flawed design from day one.

I have been chasing this issue with them for the better part of two years and not only have I consistently been told that all is ok and they can find nothing wrong, but my new service advisor just infomred me that there is no record in his system of my 3 previous visits for this same issue- and I had a loaner car out each of those times. I have an Acura factory certified wrap warranty on the car, and they are claiming wear and tear. My awesome new service advisor (he really is great) asked for a variance and Acura agreed to participate with me 50%. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful. But the fact that there is no record for any incident whatsoever raises a red flag for me.

after researching and finding that there were so many of us that had the same issue at such great expense, I did file a complaint with NHTSA. I encourage you to do the same if you've experienced similar with your sport package MDX.

#11 ·
2010 MDX strut failure

I just had both of my struts replaced, one failed but the dealer recommended replacing both at $2700 canadian off warranty. The unit has <59000 KM
(<36875 miles). I have not contacted Acura as of yet, but based on other postings perhaps I should. There is obviously a design fault involved.

Byron

#12 ·
my 2007 mdx has 4 leaking struts. My car has less than 120000KM. My local dealer told me the replacement cost for 4 struts is about $5000. I contact Honda.ca. A guy who takes care of my case is unprofessional. Basically no help from Honda. I am thinking to buy the cheap struts and just sell the car after it has been repaired. I think no one would pay $5000 for these junk parts.

#14 ·
KYB Excel-G struts are good with my 07 mdx, I had the rear struts replaced by a local mechanic one year ago, and since then that Check ADS light stays on in the dashboard. that is ok, not the end of world. I had my front struts replaced by myself this year and now I am feeling so good on the bumpy road.

Rear struts were done by my mechanic so I don't know if there's any more parts you need to prepare other than the struts. But for front struts, the old struts mounts for ADS would not fit your KYB struts, you have to buy them too, actually for the entire front strut assembly, you can only keep the coil springs if you want to reuse them, you have to replace the struts mate (rubber tube stuff), strut bellows (plastic pad under spring) etc. I suggest you find a picture of the front struts assembly for non-sport MDX, and you have to replace all the stuff on that picture except the spring (if springs are good).

My reason go with after market struts? I knew nothing about mdx before my mechanic replacing the rear struts, so he did the job and called me saying he found a wire in the old struts but no socket to plug in on the new one, asked me what to do, I said since you have already mounted the new ones then I am ok (he charged me for labor).

#16 ·
2009 MDX Sport Pkg Struts

Bought my mdx new and at 49,800 miles when I decided to keep it I purchased the 8/120 extended warranty and thank God I did. Now with 108K on it the dealer has replaced the rear struts and swaybar linkage twice - at about 55K and just recently at 105K. And, now I am fighting with them and Acura Care to replace the front ones. Great car if you do nothing but HWY driving but if you drive in the city or any other rough surface occasionally these are going to fail and each one runs in the 700-800 range before installation. Unfortunately I wouldn't have purchased it without the Sports pkg and only drive int the sport setting. Handles and drives great, but when the structs go bad it sounds like the suspension is going to come off.

#17 ·
Similar problem, 2007 MDX Elite / Sport

I have the same "clunking" problem, originally diagnosed at about 148K km by a local dealership in Mississauga Canada (front struts only), and more recently diagnosed at 248K km for the rear struts, plus sensors. Total quote almost $7,000 to repair. Coincidentally I just received a "Warranty extension: MDX Font and Rear Suspension Noise" letter from Acura Canada stating that they would repair the vehicle at their cost IF the car has <160K km on it. Of course mine is much higher mileage and despite repeated calls to the dealership and corporate, nothing doing. Not even interested in helping. I'm a lifelong Acura customer - my family has bought 6 vehicles from the same dealer in the past 15 years. No more. I'm really disappointed in their response to my request for support, especially since I first reported the noise complaint at 148K - this is clearly a widespread issue.

#19 ·
I have a 2008MDX and had the dampers/struts replaced at 120K and managed to pay half, 2400.00 in 2014, now same in 2017 and at 154K same problem and Acura not interested. Obviously either a design or defective situation that should be covered for life by Acura.

Anyone interested in class action suit?

SMS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.