Overheating problems 1995 Acura Legend - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Acura Forums Acura Forums

Go Back   Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > Legend > 2nd Gen Legend

2nd Gen Legend Model year 1991-1995 Acura Legend, Coupe and Sedan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-05, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 ACURA LEGEND
Question Overheating problems 1995 Acura Legend

This car has had problems with overheating off and on for about two years. There are no signs of coolant on the ground or on the engine areas. The last time it was in the shop for this they checked the following: Oil in coolant (none), pressure in cylinders (ok), and pressured the coolant system (ok). They add some conditioner to the coolant system just incase there may be a small leak. Then my son last night was driving back from LA to SF and the car start to overheat while stuck in traffic on Highway 5. He noticed the the temp gauge was climbing and some white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. The heater was also going from hot to cold. He pulled over waited a while then checked the coolant levels. He noticed that the reserve was full but the radiator was a pint or more down. He filled the car up and continued home. The car seemed to be okay. We will check today again. Any thoughts?
Merr Christmas to all
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-05, 11:27 AM   #2
v My Daughter Mackenzie v

Car 1: 95 Legend Coupe
Very small leak that let air into your system that caused the thermostat to stay open and overheat the car more than likely leading to a blown head gasket...maybe. That's probably the #2 leading cause of dead legends. Head over to acura-legend.com and check out the G2 section for a thread about this. Very long, but worth a read if you are looking to keep this car.
Old 12-24-05, 10:20 AM   #3

Car 1: 1992 ls coupe
Car 2: 1980 Bronco
Car 3: 1980 300d coupe
Thumbs down BHG

Ya you have the same as me BHG no easy fixes ~~~ Join the club , I am about to start my R&R shortly ~~~ Great read at the other forum acura-legend.com
Steelheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-05, 11:15 AM   #4

Car 1: 94 Acura Legend
Car 2: 2002 TL Type S
Your car has a blown head gasket. This is one of the most common problems with legends. It happened to me also. Car will run fine, temp in the norm then it will for no reason climb and spike then drop fast back to norm. Also you will lose your heater when the temp climbs. You can keep driving around for a few moths but eventually, it will stay hot longer and longer and you will eventually blow the hoses. The first hose to blow on mine was the rear heater hose. Don't wast your time and money on a new thermostate, or radiator, or diagnosis. Just read all the overheat forums and you will see it is a blown head gasket. I ended up buying a jappanese import replacement motor for mine but you can shop around and see how much to re-do the head gasket. Good luck and sorry to hear you have the Legend voodoo overhead mystery
hemmerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > Legend > 2nd Gen Legend