Acura World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transmission Flush DIY (by Gil)

28K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Mike Diaz 
#1 ·
Total stuff needed:
(1) Bottle of smart blend ( Black Bottle)
(I used Lube Guard from NAPA for $11.00)

(4) quarts of "F" type Trans fluid
(7) quarts of Dextron fluid
(4) quarts of Genuine Honda fluid

Time to play with your car.......

1. Drain the fluid and add 3.5 quarts of "F" type fluid. F-fluid (ATF) is what is used in Ford transmissions. It has a very high detergent base to it that is designed to clean the internal parts and to break down varnish build up.

2. Drive the car around for several miles and then drain it again . I do not recommend that you leave the F-type fluid in the car for an
extended time.

3. Now having drained the fluid refill the unit with 3.5 qt's of
Dextron II or III and again drive the car around for a few miles
working the Dextron in. While you are doing this what you are
actually doing is diluting the F-type fluid and flushing the dirty fluid
out of the converter at the same time.

4. Return to the driveway and dump the fluid again and

5. repeat the process again. (Steps 3-4)

6. Now , having returned once again , you have drained one last
time. At this point what little F-type fluid that was left has been
drastically diluted and the majority of what you have left is Dextron.

7. Now fill the tranny up with Genuine Honda ATF . Honda fluid has
a high silicone base to it and that is what will keep your tranny
shifting smooth. You now have 3.5 quarts of Honda fluid mixed in
with about 5qts of Dextron mixed with .5 qts of F type fluid (Mix) .
Not enough to hurt a thing. Now to even things out and bring us all
back to Basic Honda fluid , get a bottle of a product called "Smart
Blend" It's made by a company called "Life Products" Be sure to
get the Black bottle as it is specially designed to convert Dextron
over to Honda fluid, this is a product that we endorse, and use it in
all our transmissions through out the building process. If you can't
find it then try Lube Guard , and again use the Black bottle. Both
products have red bottles and I thin also a Blue one too?

8. Pour one full bottle of Smart Blend into the tranny and you're set. Smart blend reduces operating temps as well as is a friction modifier that will reduce clutch pack chatter as well as help with converter lock up. Now the reason you start with the F type fluid is to clean . Then you use Dextron to dilute the F-type (Ford) and besides to dump that much Honda fluid just to flush would be a sin, not to mention costly as all get up.

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks.

awesome write up man!!

just a quick question..

I am replacing 5spd clutch and when they do so i was going to have tranny flushed..I want replacement racing tranny fluid...to withstand "harsh" conditions and high heat. The guy who would do this carries Amsoil. Any comments would be appreciated on the best tranny fluid for an individuals need to finish this DIY.

thank you.

#3 ·
Swift said:
awesome write up man!!

just a quick question..

I am replacing 5spd clutch and when they do so i was going to have tranny flushed..I want replacement racing tranny fluid...to withstand "harsh" conditions and high heat. The guy who would do this carries Amsoil. Any comments would be appreciated on the best tranny fluid for an individuals need to finish this DIY.

thank you.
This process is specifically for automatic transmissions. For manual transmissions, I'm sure that a couple of oil changes should do the trick.

How much heat are you expecting to generate? Some like Amsoil, some like Redline, others like Honda. My 410 RWHP NSX is using Honda.

#4 ·
I don't have time right now, so I'll try to make it brief. I understand where you're coming from with the analogy. However, you will notice that this process uses the high-detergent Type-F ATF during the process to assist in cleaning transmission.

This DIY was just one among many of Gil's posts, and it was within those posts that he proved his knowledge. Those are now lost in the far reaches of Legend.org.

Either way, this method has proved successful for many, and as long as it's remains so, it will remain a valued resource. Subscription to is is voluntary.

BTW, Honda does not recommend power flushes (and neither does Gil; thus this write-up). I believe that there is a TSB on it.

#6 ·
LegendGS,

sent you pm (off topic though)

as far as flush, the detergent will not dissolve particles or metal shavings etc. it is in fact pointless to use that detergent. you could use reg atf fluid and just keep diluting used fluid. pretty much the same thing.

the thing that it worked out for many is oversimplification. doing reg (normal) fluid changes every 1000 miles is better than making them every 30000 miles. the problem here is that series of fluid changes (even with detergent in between) under no circumstances should be called "the flush". even with 5 of those diy "flushes" you can't get close to the effect of the real flush.

...Honda doesn't recommend flushes... as I mentioned before BMW doesn't even recommend simple fluid change (and oil in case of diff) claiming they are lifetime blah blah blah...

actually one of my favorite myth out there is: if you have never done flush before and you have got so many miles on it, you shouldn't do it (but if your tranny is fairly new then it is OK) :lol:

I think that the "flush problem" comes up on every car forum every couple of months or so. this is my $0.02

#7 · (Edited)
PENER said:
(on a side note, being VP doesn't neccessarly mean he knows what he is talking about)
did u not read what his position is?? To even be a VP a honda company, more specifically, a transmission rebuilding company, you have to have extensive knowledge in that area. They aren't going to hire joe off the streets and name him VP.

That would be saying the engineers of Microsoft does not necessarly know how to work windows. :wtf:

Honda dealers do flushes in my area. They are certified by American Honda to provide the flushing service. Even the acura dealers here are starting the program.

#8 ·
PENER, where you ever on Acura-Legend.com? The DIY flush has been used for a long time, and so far has been the best way to dillute/clean out the transmission fluid as much as possible without using a flush. Honda does not recommend power flushes, for a reason. Also "on a new transmission"...where the heck are you going to find a new transmission for a Legend?? I wouldn't do a flush on that either.

Having 4 legends in our family I will back up that the DIY Flush is the best way to clean out most of the gunk in the transmission without using a potentially harmful...power flush.

You sound like one of those ppl who claim that HondaATF isn't anything special for our transmissions and have never tried it.

#11 ·
It appears that this is an issue of semantics. To put it to rest, the use of the word "flush" here is not incorrect, and the definition of "flush" involving a rapid flow of liquid is also correct.

The term "flush" used here is to mean "the act of cleaning or rinsing by or as if by flushing. "

OK. Case-closed, hopefully. ;)

#14 ·
Swift said:
awesome write up man!!

just a quick question..

thank you.
I would get Redline oil. If you are having synchro issues try the MT-90 formula.
Later!
Lee

#15 ·
B&O Legend said:
Damn i wish i had my mod powers here...i'd cock-smack everyone, close and sticky this thread :lol:

jk;) thanks for superimposing this thread here G-money.

How about cleaned up and stickied?

#17 ·
LegendGS said:
Yes, please. :)

How about lock all DIY posts so that any questions on them can be done in a new thread without turning the DIY into a discussion?
Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.