Acura World banner

Injen Mega Ram Intake (SRI) DIY

26K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Bobby 1 
#1 ·
FYI...

Just finished installing my SRI.
Tools needed: Ratchet, 10mm socket, extension is helpful, flathead screwdriver, phillips head screwdriver

Here's the process, it's very easy

This is what you see when you pop the hood. There are three bolts holding the stock airbox in place. Two on the left (the big silver one that's clearly visible in the pic is one) and one on the right towards the firewall. Pull the black piece of plastic that is in the lower middle/left side of the picture, no tools required it just pulls out.

I popped off the intake hose connection on the stock airbox first (phillips head screwdriver to loosen hose clamp). I also unplugged the two smaller rubber hoses and the Air Intake Temperature Sensor.

Second I took off the elbow connecting to the intake manifold (phillips head screwdriver to loosen hose clamp)

The three bolts holding the stock airbox down (10mm socket, ratchet extension is helpful)

Next I unbolted and removed the stock intake tube, it's the hole towards the bottom in the black surrounding (10mm socket)

That's all there is to do to remove the stock intake:

First step to installing the SRI is to install the vibramount in the right side hole where the stock airbox was originally plugged in (10mm socket):

Install the filter and grommet for the Air Intake Temperature Sensor before you put it in the engine bay (flat head screwdriver for hose clamp)

Install the SRI on the vibramount but don't bolt it down, you have to make adjustments. Don't worry about the rubber hoses at this point either, you can make them line up later.

Install the provided elbow, don't tighten it yet, line everything up and make sure it's secure then tighten. I started with the hose clamp connecting the elbow to the intake manifold first, then the elbow to the SRI (flat head screwdriver for both).

Now connect all the rubber hoses (the intake comes with a hose clamp for the bigger one). Also don't forget to install the Air Intake Temperature sensor into the grommet you previously installed in the intake. (flathead screwdriver)

And bam, you're done, simple as can be. Don't forget to unplug the negative battery terminal for a few minutes to allow the car's ECU to reset

End results:

Throttle response is greatly improved, the sound is downright mean, I'll get a video up later. I recorded one on my test drive but the sound isn't very good and I chose the 3rd of July at 3:30pm in Chicago to do it so I was in traffic more than anything. It took me about 45 minutes, but 20 minutes was spent just pulling the damn Air Intake Temperature Sensor out of the stock intake tube!

See less See more
#7 ·
So if that goes in top of the engine, does the CAI go in the same spot? If this is so, how does it suck up water and cause hydro lock?
That is my bro's main question, he doesnt understand how it sucks up water if you go through a puddle if it is so high up...?

#8 ·
No, the CAI goes down and towards the front. It ends up behind the front bumper on the driver's side. I've attached an illustration. The SRI is in red and the CAI is in yellow. (Ignore the fact that it's drawn over a turbo RSX.)

Attachments

#10 ·
No, the CAI goes down and towards the front. It ends up behind the front bumper on the driver's side. I've attached an illustration. The SRI is in red and the CAI is in yellow. (Ignore the fact that it's drawn over a turbo RSX.)
:rofl2: that was the first thing I noticed. Great illustration though, you engineering dork ;)
Wow man thank you for that!! So it is in front of the wheel, if you go through a puddle how does it get in the CAI? Assuming the puddle is say 1-2 inches deep, and you don't go through at say 50mph.. I don't see how it can get sucked up??
It has to be a decent sized puddle, or a freak act of physics, but hitting a puddle at speed will send water flying forward, potentially into your intake. When mine hydrolocked it was parked in a low spot in a parking lot that was flooding, when the dealer went to move it bam, they sucked water up.

#11 ·
I dunno, maybe it takes a bigger puddle than 1-2 inches, but like Kev said, the filter could get splashed and soaked and water might get sucked up. You don't have to submerge the filter at all.

There are holes on the bottom of the bumer, by the way, where a CAI filter would be.

#15 ·
Correct. With Hydroshield, you can almost not worry about the filter being splashed. But you still have to worry about submerging.

The easiest way to avoid hydrolock is to pull over or not drive when it's raining/has rained heavily. However, that could be very inconvenient.

#20 ·
The easiest way to avoid hydrolock is to pull over or not drive when it's raining/has rained heavily. However, that could be very inconvenient.
or not get a CAI.

actually, i wish i didn't get a CAI. i want to go back to stock but can't seem to find my stock airbox at the moment. but it's not because of the chance of hydrolock, i'm not worried about that. i just don't like the whistle at idle all that much nor do i need the extra HP since i don't drive that aggresively

#16 ·
Well, maybe I'll lock my engine up some day. I avoid puddles and drive slow in downpours but I drive in the rain. :dunno: Had it on about 2 years now.

#22 ·
Ahh, I hear that it gives you better gas mileage? Few guys at clubrsx get like 35mpg with cai, I could have read it wrong but I know they were getting 35mpg hehe

I don't know what the whistle sounds like but I always think of a jet engine when I hear a whistle lol so I might like it :) haha

#23 ·
I have my stock airbox sitting in my room DJ... but the screws are stripped on it so you'd have to cut them and get new ones to replace the filter... and some of the screws that hold it in place are gone (realized that when I installed my SRI, good to know it was just hanging there :lol:)

#24 ·
i'm thinking mine is in my parents' attic. i looked briefly a couple weeks back but no luck. i might do a more thorough search when i go back there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.