Consolidated Stats - VIN number & Issues - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
2nd Gen RL 2005-08 RL info is found here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-05, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Consolidated Stats - VIN number & Issues

Rather than digging through every thread on every subject in an attempt to correlate some meaningful stats for ourselves, I propose that 2005 RL owners use this thread to register their VIN Sequence Number and list any previous / current / future issues experienced. Please contribute if your car has been issue-free.
Thanks, Steve.

I'll start:

VIN: 000996
Owned Since: October 2004
Average Mileage: 1,000 miles per month
Issue(s): Keyless locking (keyless unlocking was flawless)
Resolution(s): Replace front door handles (took 3-4 weeks)
Fixed?: Yes

Untested Features to date: OnStar; Bluetooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-04-05, 11:53 AM

Here's petemc's:

VIN: 001986
Owned Since: December 2004
Average Mileage: 500 miles per month...but 1200 very nice miles in December

Issue(1): Dead battery soon after delivery
Resolution(1): Jump started it and battery charged fine
Fixed(1)?: Yes

Issue(2): Rough shifting from park to drive when cold. Due to higher engine revs the shift kinda jumps a bit, especially if I add some gas just as it shifts
Resolution(2): Pause for 1 second after shifting
Fixed(2)?: This is very minor as far as I'm concerned

Untested features to date: None that I know of, BlueTooth, OnStar, AcuraLink, NavTraffic, HomeLink, tire pressure monitor, driver memory settings, voice commands, and keyless entry all work OK.

Last edited by petemc; 01-04-05 at 03:00 PM.
post #3 of 27 Old 01-04-05, 01:36 PM

Here's mine:

VIN: 000592
Owned Since: November 2004
Current Mileage: 1,400
Issue(s): None
Resolution(s): N/A
Fixed?: N/A

Untested Features to date: OnStar; Bluetooth; Nav Traffic

'05 Acura RL- Celestial Silver/Taupe/Deck Spoiler
'04 Infiniti FX35- Diamond Graphite/Graphite/AWD/XM

post #4 of 27 Old 01-04-05, 01:46 PM

VIN: 052XX
Owned Since: December 2004
Average Mileage: 500-600 miles per month
Issue(s): 1. Keyless locking 2. Nav traffic info disappeared 3. POI dial feature disabled 4. No AcuraLink. The first three occurred simultaneously.
Resolution(s): Door handles on order. None of the issues has been resolved.
Untested Features to date: OnStar, and who knows what else -- there must be dozens of them.
post #5 of 27 Old 01-04-05, 05:30 PM

VIN: 006964
Owned Since: Dec 27 2004
Average Mileage: <300 miles per month
Issue(s): Diagnostic messages related to SH-AWD and Emission
Resolution(s): Dealer deleted codes, but not sure if the real problems are addressed
Fixed?: Has not recurred at 145 miles

Untested Features to date: OnStar; Bluetooth; Nav traffic
post #6 of 27 Old 01-04-05, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Might be related to the symptoms relayed by petemc:

Issue: Each morning I reverse out my garage, down the drive, and onto the road. Each morning I transfer the gear from reverse to drive and apply gentle pressure to the accellerator. Each morning my RL wants to take the first few feet at the speed of light Until petemc mentioned the symptom, I'd assumed it was caused by an 'early morning lead foot'. Ironically I put the car straight into drive when I leave the office at night and the car doesn't demonstrate the same 'eagerness'.

Resolution: I'm going to try allowing the car to propel itself for a few feet before I apply any gas.

Fixed?: I'll let you know.

petemc,
Do you first reverse (no lurching) then move into drive? Maybe it's only this combination (cold car - reverse - drive) that causes 'super-torque'.
post #7 of 27 Old 01-04-05, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Issue(s): Acuralink message at 2,200 miles "Passenger airbag has been disabled. The airbag will not deploy until you take the car to the dealership" (or words to that effect)
Resolution(s): I assume the above threat points to the resolution
Fixed?: Not yet. Maybe I'll call in tomorrow morning on my way to work.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-05-05, 05:19 AM

VIN: 00728
Average Miles: 1,000 a month

Issue(s): An occasional squeal when brakes are applied on cold mornings. But it goes away in two stops or so. Everything else—from reading mp3 titles aloud to the handle unlock and dimple locks—works perfectly for us. Bluetooth synced with both our phones, OnStar works, and NavTraffic is always available when we dial in the right legend on the display. Only the Acura server phone tie-in remains unavailable, but I understand that is being fixed at Acura's end this month.

BTW, SteveH, (just in case this may help) I've gotten the same message about the front seat airbag, but only when I've pressed my hand on the passenger seat reaching over, or placed a child or my two dogs on the seat. The RL senses the light pressure or low weight and turns the passenger airbags off. The next time I start the car however, the bags are activated again (no message repeat and the "passenger airbag off" light in the center does not stay on). Does your light stay on the next time you start up? And do you get the same AcuraLink message displayed again upon restart? If not, then the passenger airbags are back on again.

Hope everyone has a terrific New Year and safe motoring.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-05-05, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Issue(s): Acuralink message at 2,200 miles "Passenger airbag has been disabled. The airbag will not deploy until you take the car to the dealership" (or words to that effect)
Resolution(s): Non-Issue
Fixed?: Yes (It was never broken)

Thanks DCRLGuy! (see previous post)
post #10 of 27 Old 01-05-05, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Per petemc:
Issue: Rough shifting from park to drive when cold. Due to higher engine revs the shift kinda jumps a bit, especially if I add some gas just as it shifts

Resolution 1 (Pete's): Pause for 1 second after shifting
Resolution 2 (Steve's): Shift into drive and let the car propel itself a few yards before applying any gas

Fixed?: Yes (an RL quirk apparently)
post #11 of 27 Old 01-06-05, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH

Resolution(s): I assume the above threat points to the resolution
Fixed?: Not yet. Maybe I'll call in tomorrow morning on my way to work.
I received that message the first couple of times I drove the car because I laid my briefcase on the seat. If you put something heavy on the seat the sensors will think it's a small person and disable the airbag. I don't think this is an issue. I deleted the messages and haven't put the briefcase on the seat and it hasn't happened again.

'05 Acura RL- Celestial Silver/Taupe/Deck Spoiler
'04 Infiniti FX35- Diamond Graphite/Graphite/AWD/XM
post #12 of 27 Old 01-07-05, 10:44 PM

VIN: 005480
Purchased: 12/30/2004
Current Odometer Reading: 500 miles

Issue(1): Keyless locking by touching the nipple on either front door handle does not work
Resolution(1): Both front door handles are being replaced on 1/17/2005

Issue(2): AcuraLink setup and message screens are not accessible
Resolution(2): Acura Client Services and the local dealer will work together to fix it on 1/17/2005

Issue(3): Adaptive Front Lighting System failed
Resolution(3): Turn off the engine and restart the car

Issue(4): Voice Recognition complete failure
Resolution(4): Turn off the engine and restart the car

The 2005 Acura RL is a wonderful vehicle when it works. Unfortunately life is not perfect and they have not had a lot of time to work out the bugs. In time, with a few dealer performed software upgrades, all should be well. Until then, let's document what we find and submit it to Acura Client Services so that the bugs get fixed promptly.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-08-05, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceSail
VIN: 005480
Purchased: 12/30/2004
Current Odometer Reading: 500 miles

Issue(1): Keyless locking by touching the nipple on either front door handle does not work
Resolution(1): Both front door handles are being replaced on 1/17/2005

Issue(2): AcuraLink setup and message screens are not accessible
Resolution(2): Acura Client Services and the local dealer will work together to fix it on 1/17/2005

Issue(3): Adaptive Front Lighting System failed
Resolution(3): Turn off the engine and restart the car

Issue(4): Voice Recognition complete failure
Resolution(4): Turn off the engine and restart the car

The 2005 Acura RL is a wonderful vehicle when it works. Unfortunately life is not perfect and they have not had a lot of time to work out the bugs. In time, with a few dealer performed software upgrades, all should be well. Until then, let's document what we find and submit it to Acura Client Services so that the bugs get fixed promptly.
How did you submit to Acura Client Services ? US MAIl ?

BL
post #14 of 27 Old 01-08-05, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Should we wait until we've all done a few more miles / an oil change or two and then collate our data for Acura Client Services?

I'm not sure whether a constant barrage of single reports or a consolidated (class action) report from several owners would be the more affective.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-08-05, 07:57 AM

I contacted Acura Client Services by phone and found them, along with my local dealer, to be very supportive and interested in resolving the issues presented. My suggestion is to present each problem you encounter to Acura Client Services (800-382-2238) with patience and detail as you experience it. In addition, logging it here is a good idea since these forums are monitored, or so I've read, by Acura. If many of us log a problem that is not getting resolved then we have some documentation and a way of contacting each other if a class action is needed to get results. So far, my experience has been that that Acura, both at the corporate and dealer level, are willing to do what it takes to resolve all issues. I hope that all of you have the same positive experience as we work through the bugs in one very technically impressive and very new vehicle.

By the way, I have a Carbon Grey Pearl on Ebony Leather 2005 Acura RL and my fiance has a Nighthawk Black Pearl on Ebony Leather 2005 Acura TL with 5-speed automatic and navigation system. Her TL has worked flawlessly for both of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 2nd Gen RL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in