3rd generation pricing 2019 or 2020 - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
RDX The All-New Acura RDX!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-19, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

3rd generation pricing 2019 or 2020

Hello. New to the forum. I have been considering the CRV, but recently switched to the RDX because of the oil dilution problem. I know the best time to purchase will be the end of the model year.

First, I am wondering how much 2019 prices will drop once the 2020 goes on sale, but also very anxious to see what small changes Acura will make to the 2020.

Anyone have any insight on either question? Any known issues? I am a huge fan of purchasing at the end of the model year, but I also try to avoid the first year of a new generation (ha!). I actually usually try to buy at the end of the model year AND the generation. All of my Hondaís that weíve purchased that way have been exceptional vehicles.
I just havenít heard many negatives for the rdx other than the infotainment which I think I will probably actually like and Acura will probably update as needed with software changes.

Iíve also read maybe a new color and/or the sport trim, but since AWD isnít a big priority the sport trim probably doesnít make sense for me. Iím leaning towards the technology package. Since Iím clearly raising my original budget, price is a concern for me. Iím asking for your informed opinions! Iím a Honda veteran but new to Acura.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-26-19, 07:07 PM

3rd generation pricing 2019 or 2020

Hello!

Iím an owner of a 2017 RDX Tech, and I owned a 2016 CRV for a year prior and then traded the tinny ride and lawn mower experience to purchase the RDX.

I moved up since the cabin, ride, suspension experience in the RDX are night and day compared to the CRV.

The 2016-2018 RDXís are excellent with the exception of the front grill and infotainment systems which was fixed in the 2019 RDXs. Itís a beauty which is why I am looking to buy one (or used) when the 2020s are out. Get the new model revision bugs worked out.

This said, the powertrain took a step backwards in my opinion (I would prefer a vtech v6 option actually) going to a v4 turbo (the only option in the 2019 RDX). I need to do some test drives to compare to what I have experienced in the earlier model compared to 2019.

Iím also getting a little worried by reviews by recent 2019 RDX owners on edmunds.com and kbb.com. They are all sharing the love how or why they bought the cars....but are getting frustrated with the transmission experience (not good given Hondaís dominance with engines but muddied past with transmissions) and other anomalies...and also a larger than normal lemon experiences as well.

Given that the 2019 RDX Is a now a bigger seller for Acura so the percentages on complaints could be at play here too.

Everyone is also noting the gas mileage didnít improve at all either with the v4, which is surprising (but not too surprising given its aim at performance).

Why the dont offer a Vtech V6 with turbo is beyond me. For freeway driving I want the gas mileage on cruising and donít care if it drops down to 3 cyclindars in those situations and offer the power when called upon.

This all said, I am also looking at the New Honda Passport.

Albeit, the RDX is far more attractive and sexy, but The Passport build quality and ride reviews are coming in strong with cabin experience and their EX-L trims and above have all the same tech, and all the trims come with V6 engines standard. Essentially itís a 2 row pilot (with a slightly and subtly better looking grill to the Pilot), but itís still about 10k less than RDX and it has a better high clearance than of the Pilot

The Passport is also on an Pilot/MDX frame...whereas the RDX I believe still shares the CRV frame (I could be wrong here and would like more info or be corrected).

So, I am going to look at the Passport and also see if Acura brings back an RDX V6 option in 2020, but given their sales they may not bother an we we may not see it until a mid revision update.

This all said, I actually believe the 2016-2018 RDX mechanically are better vehicles and better power trains. If you come to appreciate and compare their rides to the Passport, you may find better experiences and values at those price points in either case.

Iím doing test drives this summer and more research myself. In the end, happy to have good choices with Honda/Acura...just surprised and disappointed to what I reading from owners of the 2019 RDX.

2019 RDX owners, please share your experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by d_anders; 03-26-19 at 07:41 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-27-19, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_anders View Post
Hello!

Iím an owner of a 2017 RDX Tech, and I owned a 2016 CRV for a year prior and then traded the tinny ride and lawn mower experience to purchase the RDX.

I moved up since the cabin, ride, suspension experience in the RDX are night and day compared to the CRV.

The 2016-2018 RDXís are excellent with the exception of the front grill and infotainment systems which was fixed in the 2019 RDXs. Itís a beauty which is why I am looking to buy one (or used) when the 2020s are out. Get the new model revision bugs worked out.

Iím doing test drives this summer and more research myself. In the end, happy to have good choices with Honda/Acura...just surprised and disappointed to what I reading from owners of the 2019 RDX.

2019 RDX owners, please share your experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought a new 2018 RDX w/Technology Package in August 2018, just as the new 2019 RDX models were coming online. So far, I have been extremely pleased with my decision to go with an Acura. Having previously owned a 2004 Honda Odyssey with almost 200,000 miles on the odometer, I can attest to the longevity and reliability of the Honda products. One major decision to buy an RDX over the Honda CRV was the fact that the 2018 RDX has the 3.5L V6 engine and the excellent 6-speed transmission combination as opposed to the CRV with the 4cyl and CVT combination. Also, with the oil dilution issues that Honda is having with this engine as another factor to buy the Acura. With that said, I will also say that I have had the opportunity to drive a new 2019 RDX for two days while my car was in for routine service. Of course, the major difference in the cars is the engine and transmissions. The turbo 4cyl in the 2019 RDX is not a bad engine, although I felt that it was having to work awfully hard to move the car around - it was fine off the line from a stop light, but after that it seemed to just "run out of breath" and felt lethargic. A big negative to me is the 10 spd transmission in the 2019 RDX - it made me feel like I was driving a "Mack truck" what with the thing shifting through all those gears! That in itself would take some getting used to, along with the touch pad system for the infotainment system. It seemed to be very awkward and cumbersome to me. But there again, these observations were made driving this car for two days, as opposed to driving it for say 5 or 6 years. Having also had the opportunity to drive a new 2019 MDX, I really feel that when the time comes for me to trade my 2019 RDX in, unless Acura makes some changes in the engine lineup for the RDX, I will "spend a little more" and step up to the MDX. I might have bought an MDX this time around, but I got a really good deal on my car as a "model year end" special, so it was worth it. I know that some people have made disparaging remarks about the "bird beak" grille of the 2018 (and previous) Acura's, but to me, you just get used to it. And actually, after awhile, it really doesn't look that bad! And as far as the infotainment system goes, I have not experienced any issues with the system. It works as it is designed to do. Anyway, I wanted to share some of my observations with you, and wish you the best of luck in your car hunting. Please report back your findings and what your final decision is when you do make the purchase of a new Acura vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury SUV > RDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in