2018 RDX - VCM? - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
RDX The All-New Acura RDX!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-19, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

2018 RDX - VCM?

Dumb question here folks - I own a 2018 RDX that I bought new in August 2018. Can anyone tell me if my vehicle has the Honda Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) that folks seem to loathe? <lol> I ask this, as I really haven't noticed a big difference when cruising on the highway, if the car is running on 3, 4 or 6 cylinders. I have noticed that when you need some extra power, and punch it, the engine will kick down - and it seems then that the car takes awhile to speed up. For the record, I do a lot of highway driving - I've had my car 7 months and it has a little over 15,000 miles on it already.

I do know (thankfully!) that it does not have the annoying engine stop-start feature. I had the opportunity to drive a brand new 2019 RDX when my car was in for routine service, and it had that annoying feature. To their credit, I will commend the Honda engineers for including an over-ride switch for this feature so that it can be disabled.

Thanks for amy input y'all might have.
post #2 of 8 Old 04-20-19, 08:51 AM

I do know my 2016 RDX did have the VCM. Not sure on the 2018. I own a 2019 RDX also and I am unaware of any over ride on the auto idle. Where did you locate this switch? I can turn the auto idle off but when I restart the vehicle it comes back on.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-23-19, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

I was talking about the "stop-start" feature on the 2019 RDX. There is a switch located on the console that will temporarily turn the "stop-start" function off. But as soon as you turn the ignition off, and then re-start the car, the feature is enabled again, and you must hit the switch t0 dis-able it again. Very annoying to say the least. I wonder if the "stop-start" really saves any fuel at all when all is said and done? Just something else to repair when it malfunctions.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-25-19, 08:55 AM

I've noticed higher fuel economy by using it. I also have the same concern about the wear and tear on the starter, etc but I have the 100k warranty so I'm going with it... my car is going in this week to have both lower control arms replaced. This is the second 2019 RDX sold at this dealer to have this done. Both of the cars (mine and the other one) have the highest mileage of any 2019 RDX sold from the dealer. Hope this is not a major 1st generation design flaw. Also lost of glitchy issues with the apple play and inability to change radio stations via the steering wheel controls.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-01-19, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmupaprmkr View Post
...Both of the cars (mine and the other one) have the highest mileage of any 2019 RDX sold from the dealer. Hope this is not a major 1st generation design flaw. Also lost of glitchy issues with the apple play and inability to change radio stations via the steering wheel controls.
I'm curious here, but just how many miles do you have on your 2019 RDX? You said that you were having the lower control arms replaced - isn't this a little premature for a 2019 vehicle to have this issue? My 2018 RDX is 10 months old and has 16,000 miles - I hope that this is not an issue on the 2018 models as well. I understand that the first year of a new model design will have some issues that generally are rectified the longer the car is in production. Anyway, good luck with your car - I was impressed with the 2019 that I drove. I might seriously consider trading my 2018 in.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-20-19, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredhead56 View Post
I'm curious here, but just how many miles do you have on your 2019 RDX? You said that you were having the lower control arms replaced - isn't this a little premature for a 2019 vehicle to have this issue? My 2018 RDX is 10 months old and has 16,000 miles - I hope that this is not an issue on the 2018 models as well. I understand that the first year of a new model design will have some issues that generally are rectified the longer the car is in production. Anyway, good luck with your car - I was impressed with the 2019 that I drove. I might seriously consider trading my 2018 in.
just rolled 15,000 miles. Yes, it is very premature. Mine is the 2nd 2019 RDX to have this repair done. Sounded like a worm shock bushing when you would go over railroad tracks or up an incline. Other issues are glitchy on the Apple play and there is a huge update due on the 22nd of this month and I'm hoping that fixes my issues with that. After replacing the car drives and sounds as it should.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-09-19, 01:20 AM

2018 RDX - VCM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmupaprmkr View Post
just rolled 15,000 miles. Yes, it is very premature. Mine is the 2nd 2019 RDX to have this repair done. Sounded like a worm shock bushing when you would go over railroad tracks or up an incline. Other issues are glitchy on the Apple play and there is a huge update due on the 22nd of this month and I'm hoping that fixes my issues with that. After replacing the car drives and sounds as it should.

Have you gotten the infotainment updated? If so, experience so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 Old 07-16-19, 11:43 AM

Yes, it finally updated after resetting the system 3 times. Works well now! Thanks for the follow-up, I totally forgot to update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury SUV > RDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in