Trailer hitch for 2016 RDX - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
RDX The All-New Acura RDX!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-15, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Trailer hitch for 2016 RDX

I just got a new 2016 RDX and find that I can only fit 2 small barrels in the cargo section with the seats up.

I want to install a cargo rack on a trailer hitch for transporting 2 more barrels and want to know if i should but an Acura OEM trailer hitch and install it my self or purchase one elsewhere.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-20-15, 08:52 PM

The one from acura is engineered by them. So you won't find a better quality unit.

Doesn't mean that an aftermarket one won't work though.

My 16 will be in soon and I have the (acura) tow bar being installed. No pics or details for now...

He who is enslaved to the compass is free to sail the seas...
post #3 of 14 Old 11-03-15, 02:47 PM

A few months ago I bought a '16 RDX and had their receiver tow hitch installed. As I remember, it was just over $1000. Since you already have the vehicle, I would recommend checking some OEM dealers for a quote. You might save $500.

If you're handy, I suspect the RDX is already setup to install their receiver. Don't know what the laws are in your area, but if you're just want it for a box, you might get away with not wiring the hitch.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-21-16, 09:08 PM

U-Haul Model # 75190. $192.45 installed.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-25-16, 05:01 AM

Go for Curt Class III Receiver Hitch.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-28-16, 01:53 AM

The curt hitch will sit below the bumper. Get the oem instead since it is higher and will exit through the bumper
post #7 of 14 Old 02-01-16, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAVRDX View Post
U-Haul Model # 75190. $192.45 installed.
NOW that breaks my heart with my $1000 Acura trailer hitch.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-14-16, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

I finally purchased a 2" unit from a trailer shop installed for $ 300.

I only intend to use a cargo carrier for taking barells to land fill.

I have been checking various models and reviews
post #9 of 14 Old 03-14-16, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvacura View Post
The curt hitch will sit below the bumper. Get the poem instead since it is higher and will exit through the bumper

Don't know what a "curt" hitch is, but why would you want one that goes through the bumper? I assume mine is an Acura hitch and it sits just below the bumper. When my Acura dealer installed it, I told him to forget about it if he had to cut a hole in the bumper to install it.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-29-16, 05:39 PM

the Curt Trailer Hitch goes for about $130 for the part, you can install it yourself. There are video install guides for the RDX specifically.

if you get the factory hitch, you can get the OEM factory trailer hitch lower trim that has a cutout already for the hitch. that's another $75 to $100. You can find the factory hitch for about $300 if you shop online.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-01-16, 11:19 PM

I installed the Curt Trailer Hitch Class 3 today that I got on Amazon for $100 over the weekend and it's awesome! Install was super easy. No really, it was super easy. I didn't install the wiring since I'm only using it for my bike carrier and snowboard carrier. It was a great investment if you are looking to install an aftermarket hitch.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-04-16, 03:37 PM
RDX-Base-2015

I bought Curt Class III Receiver Hitch for $119 and installed it myself in less than 10 minutes. Very easy and great quality.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-30-17, 04:43 PM
Just here for the ride

My Mood: Amused
Can you guys please post pics of your Receiver Hitches so that I can see how it looks please? I have a 2016 RDX and I would really like to get one. The dealer one I'm sure would look much better but if the Curt one does not look bad, I will go for that one. Please and Thanks

Pack in the Back of the Ac
post #14 of 14 Old 06-23-19, 08:36 PM

Old thread, but, I'm RDX shopping (2nd gen) and would get a hitch for it, mainly for the bike carrier, but also wired up and ready in case I need to rent a trailer for moving larger items.

I have a Curt hitch on my CR-V that is only two years old and it is already rusting. I complained to eTrailer and Curt about it, and I'm told this is normal. Seriously? I have a few Hondas that are much older than two years old that never rusted like this. Beyond that, it is very sturdy and nicely built. It's just that the finish isn't very good. It claims to be powder coated. I thought of doing black plasti-dip on it, but that will only trap moisture inside and probably make it worse, even if I touch up the rusty spots beforehand.

I wonder if the Acura/Honda hitch is any better. I don't need a nice RDX (or my CR-V, for that matter) looking like a junker with rust all over the hitch after a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury SUV > RDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in