Power Steering Return Line MOD - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Vigor You asked and we deliver! This is the ONLY dedicated Vigor forum on the internet!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-23-07, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Power Steering Return Line MOD

Hi,

Nice to meet everyone thought id post this and find some like minded heads...

I did this as a repair for a very badly corroded power steering return line.

This specific line runs along the frame under your car on the passenger side towards the back of the engine to the rack and pinion on the drivers side..

The line is approximately 65-67 inches and the stock line is comprised of rubber and metal extensions of the line... being this is not a high pressure line and mearly a return line we can only wonder why some parts of the line are metal while the others are rubber....

heres what i posted somnewhere else

this will fix your leaky power steering and vigors are especially prone to this problem... just take a look under your car if you live in a wet are or where it snows...

Power Steering/Return line

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so heres what I did, today i fully inspected the vehicle visually under and over...

2 things i noticed.... return line on the vigor runs under the motor along the frame to the back where it plugs in to the rack and pinion...

in a high salt or wet climate area this line will corrode... the line is made up primarily of steel line and rubber line... which makes no sense ... the line varies in diameter along the route... and the mixture of metal and rubber lines makes very little sense being that the return line is under very little pressure in comparison to the high pressure line by the way which ironically runs in the upper portion of the engine... smart move ..

so i was going to use an OEM replacement... But I figured why not improve the design and save roughly 70 bucks in parts ... not counting what you might pay a mechanic to do to fix this...

Rather what I did is purchased 67 inches of 3/8 th of an inch Fuel line..... along with a package of 4 hose clamps....

This is a very easy mod to do... not only will it stop all corrosion in the future.... it is a easy fix and a mod because

now that you are using a 3/8 line throughout your steering response and tension with your power steering is much different! better in fact

the 3/8 line fits perfectly on your resovoir for your power steering .... and the original connection as long as it is in a fixable state can be used...

What you need to do is the following

Jack up your car.... put some planks of wood under your passenger side wheel......... keep the jack there but lower the car on the boards...

ok now go under your car straight back behind the engine you will see a protective plate that covers your rack and pinion steering... it is comprised of 10 bolts.....

remove all 10 bolts....

clean the plate up remove corrosion... spray paint if you like....

clean bolts or get new ones if badly rusted..

ok now you should see you return line which screws into the driver side of the rack and pinion steering....

loosen this screw...... be prepared fluid may drain out..

loosen all fittiings along this line under protective plate..... you will be removing some fittings later to replace them with zap ties

follow line.. it will go up inside the heat shield to the middle port of the resovoir... loosen the clips.... remove tube.... follow line down around power steering/ac pump

loosen any hangers or clips... the line will now run along the frmae toward the back... remove anymore clips...

the line will fall loose....

remove this mess of rubber and steel...

take the end piece from the original return line that screws into the rack an pinion... it should be straight and have a slight bend and then go straight again...

take a pipe cutter and carefully without squashing the thin steel pipe cut a section below the connector... below the first bend about 2 inches below the first bend....

you will also notice lower on the return line a rubber protector on the line... remove this... we will reuse this piece...

sand your newly cute fitting and extension... this is your connector to rack and pinion.. sand any corrosion off.... spray paint a few coats if you can...

make sure to get no paint on connector piece...

ok so take the rubber line protector and cut the rubber disc off the end.... now you have a rubber tube....slide this tube over the connector extension piece... ahh perfect fit...

this will slide into the larger 3/8th o.d. fuel line we purchased...

so go ahead insert that now and let the line go up way past the bend in the metal connector part of the line.. make sure it is nice and flush... nice and secure.... it should not be easy to get on and off...

you will secure this evenly and lightly but tightly with 3 small hose clamps...

run this line and secure with zip ties.... follow the same path.. for ease of installation once you get around the aluminum heat shield remove it so you have a little room to work......

secure to clips near resovoir... secure to frame with zip ties...

fill resovoir with fluid.... you will need to add quite a bit as most will have drained out by now....

start car.... let it cycle through ... you may need to add more fluids..

if everything looks ok... re install rack and pinion protective plate...

re install heat shield...

un jack the car...

your good to go with newly modified power steering and no power steering leak ever again!

as i said feel the difference... no more loose steering nice tension yet easy to turn...

93 Acura Vigor GS
Current Modifications:
Improved Power Steering Return line.
Improved Electrical Ignition Switch
New drivers seat OEM
Engine OIL Castrol syn Full 5w 30

Upcoming Mods:

Blower motor fix
Fuel Tank Removal and Restoration (using POR-15)
Braided brake lines.
Slotted rotors
body kit
rims
adjustable springs
new bearings
a few others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-24-07, 05:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to DarthVigor
awesome, this will come in handy if I ever have a problem with my ps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > Vigor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in