Apple App Store hits the big 1,000,000,000 - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
Get your game and geek on, man! A forum about gamers, electronics and like, uhh stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-09, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Moderatus Emeriti

Apple App Store hits the big 1,000,000,000

MediaFile » Blog Archive » Apple App Store hits the big 1,000,000,000 | Blogs |

Quote:
One billion makes for a catchy and memorable milestone. The world’s population passed the 1 billion mark in 1804. McDonald’s sold its 1 billionth hamburger in 1963. The 1billionth PC shipped in 2002.

Apple’s App Store hit that mark today, in just nine months, with much fanfare.

Granted, downloading a small program to your iPhone or iPod Touch is an entirely different sort of commerce than selling a burger or a PC, but Apple’s app universe has managed to acquire a remarkable amount of cultural currency in a short amount of time. As evidence, look at the controversy over the “Baby Shaker” app, which Apple quickly removed and apologized for on Thursday (the company’s statement said in part “this application was deeply offensive and should not have been approved for distribution on the App Store”).

It goes without saying that apps have changed smartphones and mobile computing. They have also given rise to a lucrative cottage industry for developers and entrepreneurs, and made Apple a serious player in the mobile gaming space.

Such success invariably invites competition, which is already here and promises to heat up further. Research in Motion recently opened its app store for the BlackBerry, Nokia will launch its Ovi store soon, and Palm will soon follow with a store for its forthcoming Pre smartphone.
As a BlackBerry and iTouch owner, I have to say that the Apple Apps store owns the BlackBerry Apps store - No comparison, IMO.

Nikon1
Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-24-09, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Moderatus Emeriti

And very quickly, Apple stubs its toe

Apple raises ruckus with baby-shaking app

Quote:
It used to be that Apple could do little wrong, if the unrelenting mania among the masses for the iPod and iPhone is any indication. Now, the company may have made an unusual and embarassing mis-step in selling a 99-cent “Baby Shaker” application for the iPhone.

Designed by Sikalosoft, the program encourages users to silence an incessantly crying baby by shaking their iPhone until the infant desists, and two red crosses replace the baby’s eyes.

On Wednesday, the Sarah Jane Brain Foundation, whose mission is to spread awareness of infant brain injury incurred through abuse or disease, condemned Apple for hosting the application.

“As the father of a 3-year-old who was shaken by her baby nurse when she was only 5 days old, breaking 3 ribs, both collarbones and causing a severe brain injury, words cannot describe my reaction,” Patrick Donohue, Founder of the Sarah Jane Brain Foundation, stated in an open e-mail to Apple CEO Steve Jobs and several of his executives, demanding a personal apology.

“You have no idea the number of children your actions have put at risk by your careless, thoughtless and reckless behavior! We will do everything we can to expose your reckless actions and reverse the horrific impact it will have on the innocent children throughout the United States.”

Apple, which expects to sell its one-billionth app download this week, says it vets every program for sale on iTunes. The app was pulled as of Wednesday afternoon, a spokeswoman said without elaborating.

According to the Sarah Jane Brain Foundation’s communications director, Jennipher Dickens, whose 2-year-old son has irreversible brain damage as a victim of Shaken Baby Syndrome, the app is most likely to be downloaded by the very same young male demographic statistically most likely to shake infants.

Perhaps most controversial was the sales pitch for the app: “See how long you can endure his or her adorable cries before you just have to find a way to quiet the baby down!”

Krapps, a website that writes about apps for iPhone, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace, first shed light on the Baby Shaker controversy.
MediaFile » Blog Archive » Apple raises ruckus with baby-shaking app | Blogs |

Nikon1
Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness!
post #3 of 10 Old 04-24-09, 07:12 AM
AW resident 'old fart'

My Mood: Busy
Well, alrighty then !

:walks off shaking head...but not TOO hard:

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

post #4 of 10 Old 04-24-09, 07:14 AM
Banned

Nice to stay innovative and keep profits for the larger corporation running on an even keel.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-24-09, 09:11 AM
AW's Resident Smartass

My Mood: Cheeky
Send a message via AIM to TireMeltingRSX Send a message via Yahoo to TireMeltingRSX
Yay, 3 useful apps and 999,999,997 ones!

2006 VBP RSX Type S
post #6 of 10 Old 04-24-09, 10:43 AM
AW resident 'old fart'

I have some apps on my touch that are half-ass usable. Tops is the chess game (that I'm still trying to be level 6 on)

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

post #7 of 10 Old 04-24-09, 11:14 AM
AW's Resident Smartass

Send a message via AIM to TireMeltingRSX Send a message via Yahoo to TireMeltingRSX
We were hanging pictures the other night and Corey used the "level" app to make sure they were straight.... it was way the hell off

2006 VBP RSX Type S
post #8 of 10 Old 04-24-09, 11:43 AM
AW resident 'old fart'

Well, there's a free dictionary and I also have a "flashlight" that doubles as an emergency/danger flasher.

(you'd be surprised at how much light the "flashlight" puts out)

post #9 of 10 Old 04-24-09, 11:56 AM
AW's Resident Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slynky View Post
Well, there's a free dictionary and I also have a "flashlight" that doubles as an emergency/danger flasher.

(you'd be surprised at how much light the "flashlight" puts out)
Yeah, I'm sure I would be pleasantly surprised

2006 VBP RSX Type S
post #10 of 10 Old 04-26-09, 02:43 AM
Ska
Like a Boss

Send a message via AIM to Ska
There's some that are pretty tight - one of 'em can ID just about any song if you hold it up to the speaker. Then it spits out what the song's called, who sings it, etc. Pretty rad IMHO.

But then, for every one like that, there's one like the fart noises app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewsintegra
theres no such thing as vtec fluid noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireMeltingRSX View Post
Hell yeah, called Predators. And who directs it is a moot point, putting a predator in any movie automatically makes it awesome. Imagine how good The Notebook or Dirty Dancing could have been if there was a predator in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Off-Topic > AW Lounge > Get your game and geek on, man!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in