2010 Acura RL fuel economy/ gas mileage - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
3rd Gen RL What's the story with the next RL? 2009 RL info is found here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-10, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

2010 Acura RL fuel economy/ gas mileage

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything. The gas mileage is rated at 16 city 22 highway. Is this a joke??? FORD is coming out with a new MUSTANG (muscle car) with 300+ hp and like 270 tq, with 31 mpg highway. How the heck can the gas mileage be so bad on the RL??? The city mileage is somewhat understandable, but the highway mileage? Isn't it the same engine as the TL? And the car isn't as heavy as some of its competitors. My mom's CLS 550 is rated at 14/21, it's a V8 with almost 400 HP and TQ, and it weighs over 4000 lbs. Is it the AWD that makes the mileage so bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-02-10, 02:24 PM
A-L.com Super Mod

My Mood: Mellow
AWD definitely doesn't help gas mileage. The new mustang is probably a six speed manual which really helps with gas mileage. I have noticed that american cars have HUGE overdrive gears so the rpms are lower on highway.

This is right from the ford website.
"Mustang now features a standard six-speed manual transmission and an available six-speed automatic transmission – both delivering a smooth-shifting performance. On top of that, they provide more responsive low-end acceleration and greater fuel economy in the high overdrive gear."

The truly Legendary Acura, the Legend.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-02-10, 02:39 PM
Kickin Names & Taking Azz

note, just because two cars use the same engine block, that doesn't mean that pcm/ecm is programed the same. i'd reckon the injector pulses are longer for the rl and the cam shafts are probably different as well providing longer/wider valve lift durations. ie...they are tuned from the factory to be less fuel efficient. i would reckon that the bigger rl with awd would be quite the pig with an exact tl motor drop in.

ps tl and rl prob have different gearing too.

My headlamp fluid is low, thus hampering my flux capacitor trans warp 4th dimensional drive!.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-05-10, 10:35 AM

RL is heavy and it's all wheel drive system is extremely thirsty. The problem is that it's constantly on, shifting power wheel to wheel. It's always on it's feet and thus always sipping gas.

I get 12mpg mixed driving around New York and I have seen low 20's on the highway if I don't start playing can n mouse games.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-01-10, 03:02 AM

Metallic grey Acura RL

The features and gas economy of Acura RL is discussed in the link attached. Also check out the Metallic Grey image . It looks superb.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-01-10, 03:04 AM

Metallic Grey Acura RL

The features and gas economy of Acura RL is discussed in the link attached. Also check out the Metallic Grey image . It looks superb.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-02-10, 07:47 AM

The black acural rl is the best looking car in the series
post #8 of 10 Old 01-14-11, 05:40 PM

I suspect that the RL suffers from heavy drivetrain loss due to its AWD system. I think it also has a modestly powered engine for its heavy mass, which means that you have to push the car harder during semi spirited driving. On top of that, it doesnt have direct injection like the Mustang that you referenced. Direct injection helps regulate where the fuel is injected and also controls the amount better.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-15-19, 02:46 PM

The city mileage is somewhat understandable, but the highway mileage? Isn't it the same engine as the TL? And the car isn't as heavy as some of its competitors. My mom's CLS 550 is rated at 14/21, it's a V8 with almost 400 HP and TQ, and it weighs over 4000 lbs. Is it the AWD that makes the mileage so bad?
post #10 of 10 Old 12-17-19, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATGIYA22 View Post
The city mileage is somewhat understandable, but the highway mileage? Isn't it the same engine as the TL? And the car isn't as heavy as some of its competitors. My mom's CLS 550 is rated at 14/21, it's a V8 with almost 400 HP and TQ, and it weighs over 4000 lbs. Is it the AWD that makes the mileage so bad?
CLS 550 is rated at 14/21, it's a V8 with almost 400 HP and TQ, and it weighs over 4000 lbs. Is it the AWD that makes the mileage so bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Luxury Sedans > RL > 3rd Gen RL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in