Acura World banner

Check Engine light has me paranoid

53K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Shivanibhut22 
#1 ·
ok, yesterday, for no apparent reason (i wasnt driving it hard and everything felt perfectly fine) my check engine light came on when i started it up. As i was driving, everything felt fine, nothing out of the ordinary, but my light still stayed on. later last night i met some friends out of town, and had my car off for a good twenty minutes or so, but when i got ready to leave, i turned the car on and the light was still on.

however, after about 5 minutes or so of driving, the light just went off as i was going down the road. i figured that the problem or fluke was over and was greatful there wasnt any problem, apparently. I woke up this morning, turned the car on normally, and it was fine. just an hour or so ago i started it up again to go somewhere and the light turned on again. i havent done anything to the car and it still feels like it drives, handles, and shifts perfectly fine.

WTF is going on!! as most of you know i have had a looong history with this car despite having it such a short time, so i am (at least i think) understandably freaking out about my car's well-being.

#4 ·
yea, autozone does do free scans, but i wasnt able to take advantage of it...because the light went off on the way there. they said it will only send out info if the light is on, so i just talked to em about it. they said if it is doing something like that, it isnt a very serious problem, if one at all. they said it could mean its just time for a tune up, spark plugs, or battery. (97k miles now)

odds are it is the battery or something because the previous owners never changed the battery. one, because it never quit, and two because the standard 5 year replacement stuff didnt really happen till i got it. so i was planning on chaning the battery anyway sometime soon. hopefully that is all.

#16 ·
I have a 2002 Acura RSX (base model) automatic. It has a modified exhaust and a AEM cold air intake. Problem is engine light keeps coming on, and after replacing the evap vent valve, and the eval pressure valve, it bogs at 4000 RPM. Prior it was running great. I drive it hard through the outmatch/tiptronic gears. shifting by rPM. Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.