Let's Lose Weight Together - Page 3 - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
AW Lounge A lot of talk about nothing!
For added fun, play in the AW Arcade!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 700 (permalink) Old 01-13-10, 09:04 PM

K I should be eating 1673.1 calories in a day. That seems extremely low?

66+ 1053+ 338- 170 = 1287 or BMR
1287 x 30% (lightly active) = 386
1287+ 386 = 1673 calories to maintain my weight

What am I doing wrong?

edit: calories I can have and still lose weight are 3100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 700 Old 01-13-10, 09:08 PM
AW resident 'old fart'

My Mood: Busy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobelTL View Post

What am I doing wrong?
Seem too low.

When I started, mine was around 2300. I think I chose light or moderate exercise.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

post #33 of 700 Old 01-13-10, 09:13 PM
AW resident 'old fart'

Quote:

What am I doing wrong?

edit: calories I can have and still lose weight are 3100
Are you using this site?

Caloric Needs - How to Calculate Your Caloric Needs

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

post #34 of 700 Old 01-13-10, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slynky View Post
Yea, but I was mixing the female amounts with the male oops so...

66 + (6.3 x weight in pounds) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

66+ 1512 + 929 - 170 = 2337

that seems more reasonable

I think I might try and go for 2k calories and light working out

Last edited by NobelTL; 01-13-10 at 09:41 PM.
post #35 of 700 Old 01-13-10, 09:51 PM
AW resident 'old fart'

Quote:
Yea, but I was mixing the female amounts with the male oops so...

66 + (6.3 x weight in pounds) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

66+ 1512 + 929 - 170 = 2337

that seems more reasonable

I think I might try and go for 2k calories and light working out

That, my friend, is easy!

2000 calories? That's a nice buffer.

The key to remember (and one of the reasons I made a spreadsheet) is that it's not a day-to-day thing. It's an average over a set period of time. SO, if, for example, if you measured it in the sense of 7 days, times 2,000 caloreis, equals 14,000 calores, it's OK to go over by 200 calories on one day if you make it up on another day in the week.

post #36 of 700 Old 01-14-10, 03:40 AM

I came home tonight and the wife roommate made choc chip cookies... I didn't even have one. It was so tempting. She forgot to put them away and I walked in the kitchen and just stopped and looked at their glory. They both looked at each other like crap I knew we forgot something and instantly bagged them up and hid them
post #37 of 700 Old 01-14-10, 04:46 AM
AW Resident Stormtrooper

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrift View Post
The most important is to eat real food, not food like substances like the process crap you find at every corner in this country.
That's actually one of the reasons why I would like to move to France or back to Quebec, much better food quality than Germany, much better choice of fresh food and real food.

Just after Christmas I decided to try my best to lose weight. I would love to lose 40 pounds this year. I already lost 4.5 pounds, but that was stuff I gained during Christmas time, so it was easy to lose, but now I really need to exercise more and change my eating habits to lose a lot more. My problem is mostly the portion size, I know it and it's a bit hard to correct it sometimes, but I should kick my ass.

post #38 of 700 Old 01-14-10, 05:26 AM
Been There, Done That

My Mood: Dead
I lost 15 pounds over the summer and I've kept it off. I go to the Gym every morning at 5AM for an hour and 15 minutes. I start off on the bikes, work my way to the treadmill, then go downstairs for some weights, then come back upstairs and work on the abs.

post #39 of 700 Old 01-14-10, 01:03 PM
Teh Danger Ranger
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion, Bounce Back Champion

My Mood: Aggressive
i might receive some for even posting in this thread from some of you guys who have seen me in person but seriously, good luck. physical fitness is extremely high on my priority list and i like to see people get into shape.

2006 RSX Type-s
*Pioneer AVH-P5700DVD Indash DVD * Remote Start * Painted Calipers * Injen CAI * 5000k HID Kit
post #40 of 700 Old 01-14-10, 01:24 PM
AW's Resident Smartass

My Mood: Cheeky
Send a message via AIM to TireMeltingRSX Send a message via Yahoo to TireMeltingRSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Essex View Post
"Get a dog!" oh wait..

Try to work out both arms Kev! So you don't have a huge right side, like the one dude in 'Lady in the Water'.
I just need winter to end, we don't walk the dogs much now because Ivy is too small, she gets cold so fast. They play together enough though that they are healthy. Wrigley has actually lost some weight since we got Ivy.

2006 VBP RSX Type S
post #41 of 700 Old 01-14-10, 03:14 PM
One with the Universe

I read a fair amount of articles/magazines/books about being healthy and losing weight. Those who've met me know I don't exactly need to lose weight, but, as they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Here's some tips:

As mentioned, don't set vague goals like "lose weight." Shoot for a small, specific, achievable amount. Once you achieve it, set another small, specific amount. Keep going with it. You'll be able to appreciate your results a lot sooner, and that will keep you motivated.

Don't drink soda (or switch to diet). It contains a lot of calories, and it suppresses the feeling of being "full," due to....

High-fructose corn syrup. Avoid HFC as much as you can, even though it's hard; once you make a habit of looking at ingredients, you'll find it's in quite a lot of things. It's almost guaranteed to be in anything sweet that isn't sugar free. HFC suppresses leptin, which is the chemical that makes you feel full and stop eating. It's especially terrible in combination with...

Fast food. Stop it. Just stop it. No-brainer.

Eat smaller meals many times throughout the day, rather than a few large meals. When you eat less often, your body's metabolism slows down to conserve calories and store fat. It's an ancient survival mechanism that helped our ancesters survive long periods of famine, and thus is the reason why you exist today. However, since famine doesn't really happen to us anymore, it's something you have to work around.

Eat breakfast. Same general principle as above: it get's your metabolism going.

Eat on smaller plates, so the portions look bigger.

Exercise for about 20 minutes a day. Part of it should be cardio, to keep your circulatory system healthy (probably the single most important thing you can do for your health) and to burn calories.

The other part of the exercise should consist of resistance training. Lifting weights. Not only do you burn calories while lifting, but it helps burn calories while at rest. Pound for pound, muscle burns about 25 times more calories than fat. :: Use free weights, as opposed to machines. They'll work out auxilliary muscles as you lift, helping burn that many more calories. It will also help improve balance, coordination, bone density, etc. :: For best results, lift an amount of weight that fatigues your muscles (can barely get up the last repitition or just barely can't) within 8 to 12 repititions. :: Don't forget about proper form. Aside from just how much getting injured sucks, it will usually keep you from exercising for a period of time. It's like taking a large step backwards.

If the above exercise outline is too much at this point, then walk, every day. 30 minutes a day, no excuses. Even if it's a Category 5 hurricane outside, do laps around the dining room table for 30 minutes.

Note: you can't "spot burn" fat. When someone loses weight, where is one of the first places on their body you notice it? Their face. Yet nobody goes to the gym to do face crunches. Where and in what order your body stores/burns fat is up to your genes.

"Ayla fight while alive! Win and live. Lose and die. Rule of life. No change rule." ~ Ayla (♥)
post #42 of 700 Old 01-14-10, 04:01 PM
AW Detailing Wanker

Garage
Send a message via AIM to S2K2K4 Send a message via Yahoo to S2K2K4 Send a message via Skype™ to S2K2K4
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbme83 View Post
i might receive some for even posting in this thread from some of you guys who have seen me in person but seriously, good luck. physical fitness is extremely high on my priority list and i like to see people get into shape.
I'm right there with you DJ. In fact, I'd like to gain weight this year. As in loose fat and build up some muscle. I would be happy if I hit about 200 pounds and dropped my body fat to 15% or less. Last time I checked it was around 20% but that was a while ago before I started working out. I just need to get a wee bit of motivation to build the habit of going to the gym at least 5 times a week and start tracking my workouts with weight on which machines and how many reps/sets and such. I know I've gotten stronger from my visits to the gym but I want MOAR!

Our Father, who art in Autos, hollowed be thy frame. Thy Horsepower come, Thy torque be fun, in Imports as in Domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel, and forgive us our hooning, as we forgive those who hoon against us, and lead us not into chrome accents, but deliver us from rice. For thine is the Cam, and the Piston, and the Rod, for ever and ever. Or until they break.. Amen.
post #43 of 700 Old 01-15-10, 06:09 PM
Teh Danger Ranger
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion, Bounce Back Champion

My Mood: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K2K4 View Post
I'm right there with you DJ. In fact, I'd like to gain weight this year. As in loose fat and build up some muscle. I would be happy if I hit about 200 pounds and dropped my body fat to 15% or less. Last time I checked it was around 20% but that was a while ago before I started working out. I just need to get a wee bit of motivation to build the habit of going to the gym at least 5 times a week and start tracking my workouts with weight on which machines and how many reps/sets and such. I know I've gotten stronger from my visits to the gym but I want MOAR!
i'd like to put on about 10-15 lbs and get back to the days where i could bench 210lbs which at the time was 1.5x my body weight

2006 RSX Type-s
*Pioneer AVH-P5700DVD Indash DVD * Remote Start * Painted Calipers * Injen CAI * 5000k HID Kit
post #44 of 700 Old 01-15-10, 08:56 PM
debbs

Okay Michelle, I'll do it ... the fast food over the last month has me with a weight gain of 5 pounds ... not to mention the other pounds I wanted to loose. I'd like to go down 2 sizes. other than the last month I don't usually eat fast food and if I eat breakfast then I am hungry for the rest of the day so I tend not to eat until late afternoon. I can't get into treadmill walking. I have a treadmill and elliptical but don't use either one. Spring is when I usually lose 'cause I do lots of outdoor yard work hauling mulch and such.

so add me to the list coach!

she who is what she is ... and comfortable with it.
post #45 of 700 Old 01-15-10, 09:04 PM
Banned

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Off-Topic > AW Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in