Maddening Monday - April 14, 2008 - Page 3 - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
AW Lounge A lot of talk about nothing!
For added fun, play in the AW Arcade!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-14-08, 12:21 PM
AW Detailing Wanker

Garage
Send a message via AIM to S2K2K4 Send a message via Yahoo to S2K2K4 Send a message via Skype™ to S2K2K4
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdog View Post
Alright, Ben. Come clean!!!

Subi or no Subi?
Sigh..... I still have yet to see the subi. Right now its at a shop in Chicago. To start with, I've read some reviews about this shop and seems like the consensus is that there are three shops in Chicago to take your WRX/STi to. This is one of the best. Now for the story. Was supposed to go up Saturday morning. But Thursday night the CEL came on in the subi so Matt took it to the shop. We were hoping for something small that didn't mean anything. Well Friday rolls around, no car. Didn't even make it into the shop. Saturday rolls around, the shop is open 12-4 central time. I get him to call the shop and find out what the deal is. The diagnosis is as follows. The engine decided to lose compression.... somewhere. (Matt is not a very technically inclined guy apparently). The shop made the executive decision that the block needs to be replaced. Because they do a lot of work on race cars, apparently they keep mildly built blocks on hand. The car is getting one of those. Should be completed sometime today. Heres my take on it. Now instead of buying a car with 70,000 miles on both the chassis and drivetrain. I'm buying a car with 70,000 miles on the chassis, turbo, and tranny, and an engine that has 0 miles on it. If you ask me its a better deal. The transmission on these things is almost bulletproof. If the turbo goes they aren't too expensive to rebuild or it shouldn't be hard to find a gently used one that someone took off in order to upgrade. Even so, the car will get a thorough inspection before any money changes hands. I'm feeling pretty good about it at this point though. Oh yeah, I'm not paying a dime more for the car than the agreed upon price. He hasn't asked for more. I won't try to haggle him any more though unless something is badly in need of attention though, hes taking enough of a hit on the engine and imho the car is worth more with the rebuilt engine.

Our Father, who art in Autos, hollowed be thy frame. Thy Horsepower come, Thy torque be fun, in Imports as in Domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel, and forgive us our hooning, as we forgive those who hoon against us, and lead us not into chrome accents, but deliver us from rice. For thine is the Cam, and the Piston, and the Rod, for ever and ever. Or until they break.. Amen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 12:26 PM
Banned

Ok, Ben. Good things in life are worth waiting for.

You are right about turbo rebuilds. They are very easy. I've rebuilt several diesel turbos. The only hard part is centering and seating the bearing races and seals correctly.
post #33 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 12:38 PM
AW Detailing Wanker

Garage
Send a message via AIM to S2K2K4 Send a message via Yahoo to S2K2K4 Send a message via Skype™ to S2K2K4
Just talked to one of my buddies who owns a wrx as well. He told me that the stock turbos aren't rebuildable but can be found for under 300 dollars with a few thousand miles on them.

Our Father, who art in Autos, hollowed be thy frame. Thy Horsepower come, Thy torque be fun, in Imports as in Domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel, and forgive us our hooning, as we forgive those who hoon against us, and lead us not into chrome accents, but deliver us from rice. For thine is the Cam, and the Piston, and the Rod, for ever and ever. Or until they break.. Amen.
post #34 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfire View Post
Just talked to one of my buddies who owns a wrx as well. He told me that the stock turbos aren't rebuildable but can be found for under 300 dollars with a few thousand miles on them.
Yeah, forgot. Most gasoline turbos aren't.
post #35 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 12:43 PM
AW Detailing Wanker

Garage
Well the aftermarket ones are. Garrett turbos and the like can be rebuilt pretty cheaply. I know the subi uses an internal wastegate though. I think that might make a difference. I've never really researched turbos that much since I decided against using one for the integra. Guess I'll have to start doing my reading though!

post #36 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Moderatus Emeriti

Good luck, Ben, and keep us posted!

Nikon1
Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness!
post #37 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 12:51 PM
AW resident 'old fart'

My Mood: Busy
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0s_speed View Post
this morning i went to the gas station. freaking 91 octaine costs $3.99 per gallon already.

also, i saw this ford F150 with a sticker in the back saying, "Honda Racing".
Willie.

Hey, maybe the guy uses his truck to haul his Honda to the racetrack...

And it just went over $3.50 in GA.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

post #38 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 12:55 PM
AW resident 'old fart'

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfire View Post
Sigh..... I still have yet to see the subi. Right now its at a shop in Chicago. To start with, I've read some reviews about this shop and seems like the consensus is that there are three shops in Chicago to take your WRX/STi to. This is one of the best. Now for the story. Was supposed to go up Saturday morning. But Thursday night the CEL came on in the subi so Matt took it to the shop. We were hoping for something small that didn't mean anything. Well Friday rolls around, no car. Didn't even make it into the shop. Saturday rolls around, the shop is open 12-4 central time. I get him to call the shop and find out what the deal is. The diagnosis is as follows. The engine decided to lose compression.... somewhere. (Matt is not a very technically inclined guy apparently). The shop made the executive decision that the block needs to be replaced. Because they do a lot of work on race cars, apparently they keep mildly built blocks on hand. The car is getting one of those. Should be completed sometime today. Heres my take on it. Now instead of buying a car with 70,000 miles on both the chassis and drivetrain. I'm buying a car with 70,000 miles on the chassis, turbo, and tranny, and an engine that has 0 miles on it. If you ask me its a better deal. The transmission on these things is almost bulletproof. If the turbo goes they aren't too expensive to rebuild or it shouldn't be hard to find a gently used one that someone took off in order to upgrade. Even so, the car will get a thorough inspection before any money changes hands. I'm feeling pretty good about it at this point though. Oh yeah, I'm not paying a dime more for the car than the agreed upon price. He hasn't asked for more. I won't try to haggle him any more though unless something is badly in need of attention though, hes taking enough of a hit on the engine and imho the car is worth more with the rebuilt engine.
Well, hang in there, Ben . Though, I just have to say this whole deal isn't giving me the warm fuzzies. Let's hope for the best, though!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

post #39 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 12:56 PM
Banned

You guys are going to really hate me.

Wyoming Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Wyoming
post #40 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 01:01 PM
The boy and Barclay

My Mood: Cheerful
Ola! AW.

Just back from Cuba at 4:30 this morning. Fantastic weather..sun like a microwave though
Went para-gliding for first time. Nice!
Jeep tour for one full day, rest of the time eating , swimming, drinking rum by the barrel, some sleep.
Turned out to be a riot, even traveling with 7 other peeps from work.

2002 TL-S, SSM on black, spoiler, stock
278xxx kilometres
2nd tranny (still) on last legs

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act" George Orwell
post #41 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 01:03 PM
AW Detailing Wanker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon1 View Post
Good luck, Ben, and keep us posted!
Will do, like I said, if its out of the shop today or tomorrow then I'll be looking it over and making my decision tomorrow night. On a side note... people from Chicago, doing anything cool on a Tuesday night that someone under 21 can get in on?

post #42 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 01:05 PM
Banned

Damn. Looks like Kev is sleeping the day away.

post #43 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 01:06 PM
AW resident 'old fart'

Quote:
You guys are going to really hate me.

Wyoming Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Wyoming
Well, maybe Willie will but I'll hold off a bit. According to the list, GA is only 9 cents higher than Wyoming. (I like the Alaska thing, home of the great pipeline and most expensive gas)

USA and Canada Current Average Gas Prices By City/State/Province - GasBuddy.com

post #44 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 01:09 PM
AW resident 'old fart'

Quote:
Damn. Looks like Kev is sleeping the day away.

Difference between sleep and hungover? Hungover comes with it's own headache.

post #45 of 138 Old 04-14-08, 01:10 PM
AW Detailing Wanker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slynky View Post
Difference between sleep and hungover? Hungover comes with it's own headache.
I managed to escape last night without a hangover. I'm proud of myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Off-Topic > AW Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in