Need advice about work... - Acura Forum : Acura Forums
AW Lounge A lot of talk about nothing!
For added fun, play in the AW Arcade!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-02, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Attention Where?

Send a message via AIM to Angel
Need advice about work...

Ok you guys, I have a slight problem. I work for three lawyers; one is a partner, and two are associates. The partner's work is supposed to be done before the associates', because he's like, higher up on the hierarchy.

So one of my associate lawyer guys is always giving me extra work... not that I mind having more to do, but it's like, work that isn't really in my job description (remember a few weeks ago when he wanted me to make those drawings for a patent?), or he wants me to do it HIS way, which usually takes 40 times longer than the normal way, etc. I wouldn't normally mind it, but he gives me these assignments like, later in the day, usually after lunch, and they have to be finished by the time I leave (and we don't get overtime, so they HAVE to be done by 5). Again, this wouldn't normally be a problem except that what he's doing is keeping me from doing the other work I have to do.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what I should do? Should I talk to HIM about it (although that would be like suicide; lawyers don't want to hear that they're doing anything wrong, ESPECIALLY not from their secretaries), or should I go to a higher-up, or what? Like I said, I don't MIND the extra work, it's just that it's getting me in trouble w/ the partner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-15-02, 07:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Nootch
Talk to the higher up and tell him that you are afraid you aren't completeing all of the tasks he asks of you because of the stuff the associate asks of you.

Ladies Ladies Ladies, Jay and Silent Bob are in the Hizzouse
post #3 of 5 Old 07-15-02, 10:36 PM
Because I said so

I would talk to him first. If he's an associate he knows he's lower on the food chain. Sure, he won't like hearing that, but hey... life is hard so that's just too fuckin' bad.

If you go directly over his head it might seem like you're a tattle tale for lack of a better word.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-15-02, 10:39 PM
Moderator?

Send a message via AIM to CaliMike
Bosses Lawyers :

Where's my Obama Bucks?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-15-02, 11:10 PM
formerly KhameirSarin

Do what I do at work. When someone asks you to do something while you're working on something else let them know. Ask them "Is this more important than this other thing I'm supposed to finish for XYZ" If the partner asks while you're doing associate's work, the partner would probably talk to the associate for you. If the associate asks while you're doing the partner's work, the associate should back the hell up.

Hope this helps.

"For relaxing times, make it SUNTORY TIME"

CBP +
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Acura Forum : Acura Forums > Off-Topic > AW Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura Forum : Acura Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in